How best to reverse a FUE hair transplant?

Hi 

I was wandering what the best methods are for removing fue transplanted hair? 

I had a Fue HT 6 months back and i am concerned that the transplanted hair is still darker, wavy and more coarse.  It is most noticeable on the sides and I am now concerned that I will continue to receded past the transplanted hair leaving an unnatural look.

Not sure I could get away with grade 0.

Regards

DNA

The hair on your temples is far "finer" than hair elsewhere.  It is so specialized in fact, it is difficult to match.  Behind the ear is where most doctors will harvest from.

One of the issues I have with FUE is the fact that when grafts are harvested, they're all placed in a petri dish.  Go to different doctors websites and you'll note that the harvesting area ranges from top to bottom and from side to side including the area behind and on top of the ear.  Unless properly classified, grafts are intermingled and placed randomly throughout the pattern.  Thus, you have coarse grafts where finer-hair grafts should have been placed. Time, I'm afraid, will do absolutely nothing. The best way to get rid of this is either electrolysis or laser.  I should point out these grafts are quite sturdy and will probably take a number of visits to get rid of them.  Hopefully it's not many.

In respect to the grafts placed on top, use gel, etc to manage.  Hair will eventually develop a memory and do what you want.

To prevent recession, get on medical therapy.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses.

Do any of you know whether there any recommended Drs that can perform Lazer or electrolysis hair removal in the uk?  Or would you go to beauty salon?  Sorry for the dumb question. Struggling to find professionals that offer this service.

Would you recommend having another fue procedure to remove the transplanted hair on the sides?

• Administrators

It’s posts like this, that make me passionate about education before surgery. Unfortunately, there is no “un-doing” a hair transplant. You could camouflage the scars with SMP. Theres laser fraxel, but again nothing is going to reverse it.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think that the surgeon did a really good job with the extractions, there will be minimal scaring. 

Its just the sides, really noticeable contrast and increased density compared to the native hair. 

I have seen Joe Rogans results.  He had three failed FUT transplants and decided to shave it.  His head looks good apart from the happy smile scar in the back of his head.

I guess the best advice I would give anyone before getting a hair transplant, is shave your head.  Keep it shaved for at least a year before committing to a hair transplant.  You might find you like it and will save you a lot of money and stress.

What persuaded me was the fact i was on medication for a year prior to the HT, i noticed my hairline was still slowly receding.  I saw excellent results ie Lewis Hamilton etc and thought I wanted a more youthful hairline so decided to do it. 

I will upload some pics shortly after stripping the exif data. 

• Moderators

you should definitely wait another 6 months before deciding on what to do as transplanted hair usually softens up a bit after a year or two. At that point you may want to consider a very small FUE session to scatter a few grafts behind the currently transplanted ones to sort of blend it into a transition to the native hair. That might be a better alternative to removing them.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.