2 minutes ago, mustang said:

Gosh

Being half Spaniard and living in Spain I must say I have never read are more ignorant and stupid post this year.

It's frightening how stupid people are. It really is.

This troll was kicked out and came back again with different names but it was so easy to identify his trademark arrogant ignorance that he managed to get kicked out again. 

Lol you portugueses and españoles are very proud people so I understand this can be a sensitive topic for you. 

But spanish and portuguese are indeed very similar languages, to the point that if your first language is portuguese you can understand and easily communicate with a spanish people.  You definitely can't do that with say italian and german unless you have some proficiency with both languages. 

Their ethnicities and cultures are not that different either. Cristiano Ronaldo could easily pass for a Spanish dude. 

That being said, don't confuse the two because they are different people with different languages and if you do that they'll get mad. 

(And please don't be mad at me, I'm 25% Portuguese and 25% Spanish, and portuguese is my first language.)

Edited by JohnBob
55 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

Lol you portugueses and españoles are very proud people so I understand this can be a sensitive topic for you. 

But spanish and portuguese are indeed very similar languages, to the point that if your first language is portuguese you can understand and easily communicate with a spanish people.  You definitely can't do that with say italian and german unless you have some proficiency with both languages. 

Their ethnicities and cultures are not that different either. Cristiano Ronaldo could easily pass for a Spanish dude. 

That being said, don't confuse the two because they are different people with different languages and if you do that they'll get mad. 

(And please don't be mad at me, I'm 25% Portuguese and 25% Spanish, and portuguese is my first language.)

John it’s not a Portuguese thing for a small country to be proficient in other languages (Portugal, Scandinavian countries, etc) while bigger countries focus just on their own language and even dub movies into their own language (Italy, Spain, Brasil, France,etc). Feel sorry for these people that never heard the real voice of movie icons like Eddy Murphy or Robin Williams. 

Here in Portugal we all grow up listening to original movies, tv and English or Spanish music and that’s why we are more prepared to understand foreign languages.

This is why all Portuguese can speak Spanish (or English) and no Spanish can speak Portuguese (even English is challenge for them).

Nothing to do with saying a latin language like Spanish similar to another latin language like Portuguese because actually all latin languages have similarities and any Portuguese can understand several words and full sentences of any latin language even if we don’t speak them while bigger countries are content with only understanding Eddie Murphy if he’s dubbed in their own language.

Edited by Portugal25