My current situation- am I an FUE candidate?

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Watch this carefully till the end

Thanks Melvin,

I had already watched that video and most of your others, very informative. I guess I plan to do more bodybuilding in my late 30s- 40s and will be happy with a shaved head when I have a family etc. 

But in my 20s- early 30s I want hair. I thought to go with DHI pen implants to minimize scarring as much as possible for when I do eventually shave my head. I understand there may be possible scarring but should be less compared to FUT. The clinic said DHI gives better density too. 

I would also be happy doing 2 HTs if I have to. 

Maybe 2500 on front with conservative temples and then another 2000 in crown and mid scalp with beard or body grafts if needed. It also depends on how good my donor is. 

I am also considering taking both oral and topical finasteride for a DHT blocker combo and then also minoxidl 6 months after HT as clinic suggested. Am also on multivits and saw palemetto, will get biotin soon also. 

I must admit the temptation for 3500-4000 graft mega session is real and ive seen some succesful ones performed by this clinic but I understand the risks are higher for shock loss. As a pro it would save me going to Turkey again. Im looking at getting my first HT next month. 

again I wish to thank your for your informative and realistic feedback,

Sam 

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

Thanks Melvin,

I had already watched that video and most of your others, very informative. I guess I plan to do more bodybuilding in my late 30s- 40s and will be happy with a shaved head when I have a family etc. 

But in my 20s- early 30s I want hair. I thought to go with DHI pen implants to minimize scarring as much as possible for when I do eventually shave my head. I understand there may be possible scarring but should be less compared to FUT. The clinic said DHI gives better density too. 

I would also be happy doing 2 HTs if I have to. 

Maybe 2500 on front with conservative temples and then another 2000 in crown and mid scalp with beard or body grafts if needed. It also depends on how good my donor is. 

I am also considering taking both oral and topical finasteride for a DHT blocker combo and then also minoxidl 6 months after HT as clinic suggested. Am also on multivits and saw palemetto, will get biotin soon also. 

I must admit the temptation for 3500-4000 graft mega session is real and ive seen some succesful ones performed by this clinic but I understand the risks are higher for shock loss. As a pro it would save me going to Turkey again. Im looking at getting my first HT next month. 

again I wish to thank your for your informative and realistic feedback,

Sam 

Do not rush, be weary of dogmatic theories such as this technique gives better density etc. Truthfully, this DHI is a big marketing scheme, a lot of clinics do this and it’s really nothing new or of note. Some call it simultaneous extraction and placement, others call it ‘stick and place’ don’t be fooled, and choose a clinic that had real patient reviews. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

44 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do not rush, be weary of dogmatic theories such as this technique gives better density etc. Truthfully, this DHI is a big marketing scheme, a lot of clinics do this and it’s really nothing new or of note. Some call it simultaneous extraction and placement, others call it ‘stick and place’ don’t be fooled, and choose a clinic that had real patient reviews. 

Thansk Melvin,

I have chosen to take your advice and first maybe 2500-3000 grafts in frontal area.

this is because the crown isnt that bad, pics ive supplied have Minoxidl shock loss which was bad. This is how crown looks like now, both minoxidl and finasteride work well on me albeit with bad side effects. Ive chosen to prioritise getting my hair back above all else and will go all out military style with meds regardless of side effects. Ive also restarted Minoxidl as was noticing thick new hairs that it had just regenerated falling off when I stopped it. Ill probably stop it for a week before HT and then restart straight after. Doctors said to not use Minoxidl for 6 months after HT? Others suggest using it straight after, does anyone know the risks of using minoxidl on freshly transplanted hairs? Current pic of crown attached im sure itll ticken up with finasteride plus minoxidl, ill re visit the doc and get crown FUE as second procecedure. Thanks greatly for your help guys! :) 

29701FE3-57E2-428B-A183-B47CCFEC18FD.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackweasel said:

Thansk Melvin,

I have chosen to take your advice and first maybe 2500-3000 grafts in frontal area.

this is because the crown isnt that bad, pics ive supplied have Minoxidl shock loss which was bad. This is how crown looks like now, both minoxidl and finasteride work well on me albeit with bad side effects. Ive chosen to prioritise getting my hair back above all else and will go all out military style with meds regardless of side effects. Ive also restarted Minoxidl as was noticing thick new hairs that it had just regenerated falling off when I stopped it. Ill probably stop it for a week before HT and then restart straight after. Doctors said to not use Minoxidl for 6 months after HT? Others suggest using it straight after, does anyone know the risks of using minoxidl on freshly transplanted hairs? Current pic of crown attached im sure itll ticken up with finasteride plus minoxidl, ill re visit the doc and get crown FUE as second procecedure. Thanks greatly for your help guys! :) 

29701FE3-57E2-428B-A183-B47CCFEC18FD.jpeg

That’s a very logical approach and the fact your crown isn’t so bad at all secures this option. Melvin gives good advice and I really enjoy following his approach and discussions. 

If you wanna' be all gung ho - go on brand-name Avodart (dutasteride) & use oral minox (loniten) which has a systemic delivery vs topical delivery.  You can buy those at places like alldaychemist and thailandpharmacy for cheap.  No prescription.  Buy a good laser hair helmet w/at least 300-400 diodes & use it 5X's per week & use 2% Nizoral 3X's (or another high % Keto shampoo) per week 5 minutes on your scalp. 

If you are willing to do 2 surgeries - forget Cinik.  Every once in awhile I'll see a really good result from there but it is only w/those w/exceptional donor hair characteristics.  Go w/a top-notch FUE clinic that has more refinement of grafts (especially your frontal hairline & frontal-hairline transition zone).  There are several better FUE clinics in Turkey and one good really good one in India much cheaper than the states.  Use the search function at this website; extensively.

Start w/dense pack of frontal 1/3rd scalp of 3-4K grafts.  What you really want is an artistic irregular non-defined very frontal hairline w/NO double or triple grafts for maximum refinement. You're very frontal hairline and transition zone are what will frame your face for the rest of your life - so do it right and choose a clinic wisely for that 1st surgery.

How slowly you continue to lose hair after the 1st few years of a 'hair bump' w/medical therapies will ultimately depend on your individual genetics.  A couple years of stabilization and a nice frontal 1/3rd hairline & transition zone you could do another round of FUE for further bulking of the frontal 1/3rd working your way back into midscalp and perhaps 'dusting' into the crown for a natural (although quite thin 'whirl pattern).

Another couple years if you are still thinning you could use your remaining scalp FUE donor w/a MIX of beard grafts and continue to bulk up the mid-scalp and then and only then tackle more of the crown.

You could probably do 2 of those sessions if you kept the ratio of scalp hair to beard hair at like 33% scalp hair and 66% beard hair or 40/60.

Above all else you want naturalness so as you continue to SLOWLY lose hair it will look like your naturally balding peers as you age.

Finally, you have nice wavy hair - get on youtube and look at scalp matte concealers (eye shadow/dermatch type stuff) and if you use fibers I would go light and only use the very best that diffuse light in a natural manner.  It takes only a few minutes when your good at it and 'less is more' - and looks more natural w/a lighter touch when you still have lots of hair.

Also, you could do SMP to your scalp even for longer hair every few years.  Ahead Ink is top shelf.

Having written all of that, right now you are being very emotional.  Get on the medical therapies for 6 months and see where you are at before you book your 2K Turkey hair transplant.  You've gotten very good advice in this thread and if you do further research on what I've wrote and you want to go all in please do it step by step.

Or shave your head and keep it short for a week or two and see what your future is in ??? years going all natural.

Good luck.  Frankly, I admire men that naturally go bald - it matters so much less (not to YOU) but to WOMEN & other men as you reach your 30's & 40's.  A nice short haircut if balding w/good skin care and teeth and being fit and wearing a nice wardrobe is a helluva' lot easier to achieve than all the things most of us on here go through to have the 'illusion' of a nearly-full head of hair or even lightly balding or moderate thinning look.

15 hours ago, jjsrader said:

If you wanna' be all gung ho - go on brand-name Avodart (dutasteride) & use oral minox (loniten) which has a systemic delivery vs topical delivery.  You can buy those at places like alldaychemist and thailandpharmacy for cheap.  No prescription.  Buy a good laser hair helmet w/at least 300-400 diodes & use it 5X's per week & use 2% Nizoral 3X's (or another high % Keto shampoo) per week 5 minutes on your scalp. 

If you are willing to do 2 surgeries - forget Cinik.  Every once in awhile I'll see a really good result from there but it is only w/those w/exceptional donor hair characteristics.  Go w/a top-notch FUE clinic that has more refinement of grafts (especially your frontal hairline & frontal-hairline transition zone).  There are several better FUE clinics in Turkey and one good really good one in India much cheaper than the states.  Use the search function at this website; extensively.

Start w/dense pack of frontal 1/3rd scalp of 3-4K grafts.  What you really want is an artistic irregular non-defined very frontal hairline w/NO double or triple grafts for maximum refinement. You're very frontal hairline and transition zone are what will frame your face for the rest of your life - so do it right and choose a clinic wisely for that 1st surgery.

How slowly you continue to lose hair after the 1st few years of a 'hair bump' w/medical therapies will ultimately depend on your individual genetics.  A couple years of stabilization and a nice frontal 1/3rd hairline & transition zone you could do another round of FUE for further bulking of the frontal 1/3rd working your way back into midscalp and perhaps 'dusting' into the crown for a natural (although quite thin 'whirl pattern).

Another couple years if you are still thinning you could use your remaining scalp FUE donor w/a MIX of beard grafts and continue to bulk up the mid-scalp and then and only then tackle more of the crown.

You could probably do 2 of those sessions if you kept the ratio of scalp hair to beard hair at like 33% scalp hair and 66% beard hair or 40/60.

Above all else you want naturalness so as you continue to SLOWLY lose hair it will look like your naturally balding peers as you age.

Finally, you have nice wavy hair - get on youtube and look at scalp matte concealers (eye shadow/dermatch type stuff) and if you use fibers I would go light and only use the very best that diffuse light in a natural manner.  It takes only a few minutes when your good at it and 'less is more' - and looks more natural w/a lighter touch when you still have lots of hair.

Also, you could do SMP to your scalp even for longer hair every few years.  Ahead Ink is top shelf.

Having written all of that, right now you are being very emotional.  Get on the medical therapies for 6 months and see where you are at before you book your 2K Turkey hair transplant.  You've gotten very good advice in this thread and if you do further research on what I've wrote and you want to go all in please do it step by step.

Or shave your head and keep it short for a week or two and see what your future is in ??? years going all natural.

Good luck.  Frankly, I admire men that naturally go bald - it matters so much less (not to YOU) but to WOMEN & other men as you reach your 30's & 40's.  A nice short haircut if balding w/good skin care and teeth and being fit and wearing a nice wardrobe is a helluva' lot easier to achieve than all the things most of us on here go through to have the 'illusion' of a nearly-full head of hair or even lightly balding or moderate thinning look.

Hey Jjsrader,

Thanks for your feedback! 

yeah I guess the emotion and guilt comes from the fact that I didnt naturally go bald initially. I basically ruined my teenage years through the use of anabolic steroids and the resulting hair loss. I have been balding and isolated from social life since age 17. I want to turn things around this year as since im 25 I can now understand my time to do so is very limited, I have also lost 26kg and gained an athletic physique. I was thinking oral and topical finasteride combo, minoxidl foam and possibly oral minoxidl, saw palmetto, zinc and biotin I will also look into the laser cap treatment. I think I will get DHT blocking shampoo from Hair transplant clinic. 

Basically I chose Cinik as have seen a fair few extraordinary HT by him on this forum and only a single bad one. He also seems to be a trustworthy person at face value and this is valuable to me. I have seen some really expensive clinics get bad results on here also one of which is meant to be the best in Turkey. 

Also their replies and customer care thus far have been on point and timely unlike other clinics. I am also offering to send them an extra $1000+ if my HT goes well, it will mean the world to me. I am also hoping I have a strong and thick donor area but only the dr can verify this. I only get 3 weeks off a year in December so I have to bite the bullet and do it within this time frame. In honesty im not too fussed about double grafts on hairline etc as my hair is always longer with fringe hairline is never visible, I am mainly after total cover and frontal density at this point. Ofcourse I would appreciate and prefer a neater job that looks natural. I am also happy to transplant beard and body hair, doesnt bother me at all and in honesty my body hair is very similar to some of my thinning hair in being black, wavy and similar-ish texture. 

Some spectacular Cinik results ive seen:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/52116-dr-cinik-june-2018/?tab=comments#comment-481551

(this one is unbelievable!) 

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/50151-3500-scheduled-with-dr-cinik-1212/?tab=comments#comment-463171

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/50215-drcinik-hairtransplantation-3600-grafts-from-headchest-and-beard/?tab=comments#comment-463746

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Sam 

Sure.  I think Cinik gets good graft survival - maybe not 95% but 80%+.

If you are happy w/those linked hairlines (naturalness/refinement) & the shape of those hairlines - especially the temporal transition zones for caucasians then I guess he is your man.  Just don't get your hairline too low 'cause you might in a few years want your frontal hairline and frontal hairline zone 'refined.'

If you have excellent hair characteristics a less-than perfectly natural hairline may not be your highest priority as you stated.

You might want to check out many more of his patient submitted photos on real self for more regular examples than the spectacular results you are referencing.  After all, most of us are completely average and ordinary - including our donor hair and hair characteristics.

I guess for a 1st surgery to get the most bang for your buck that is what you have decided on.  FUT would do that for you but hardly any younger patients are willing to get a strip scar.

Oh, if you can handle the potential side effects I wouldn't bother w/both topical and oral finasteride.  Just maybe pay a bit more and get brand-name Propecia (not generic) and cut into quarters.  The topical is overkill and much less effective regardless of what some surgeons seem to report.

Take care.