My current situation- am I an FUE candidate?

Hey all,

My names Sam and I would firstly like to thank all those who contribute to this forum and host it. I really appreciate this and wish to thank you personally!

I have been loosing hair since age 17 stupidly first with the use of anabolic steroids. This later connected to natural balding which is hereditory for me albeit happening much much slower.

I am on Minoxidl now and have taken finasteride but got all side effects including impotency and severe depression. Im looking to take it again if it means I can keep my hair after HT maybe at half dose first. ill still get nowhere in life without hair in my 20s. Im currently 25. 

Hair loss basically destroyed my life, It caused a sharp personality change and I fell inlto a dormant stage in life with 0 self esteem for 8 years now.

I think I would sit between Norwood 2 and 3. Things have now perfectly alligned to allow me to complete my dream of looking young again. Ive lost 26 kg of sadness weight that ive carried for so long and am eagerly looking forward to hair restoration to seal the deal and get my life back. 

I am thinking that I am an ideal candidate for FUE. I have thick black slightly wavy hair of southern european type and am of a mid dark complexion. Also I seem to have a very thick donor area and dont have excessive hair loss yet, just enough to make it akward in the wind, and that i cant style it nicely.

I am thinking of going with doctor Cinik and paying for his flagship service DHI Service. His clinic has been great in answering questions thus far and seems to get good results. 

I am hoping to have a full head of hair after one FUE session again am willing to take all meds to retain hair. I am guessing I need 3500 grafts for thick dense hair what do you guys think? I am thinning on temples and crown and have attached images. I REALLY appreciate youre feedback and help.

thanks,

Sam

3D5B486A-CC29-44D2-B84C-BCCC9184AD63.jpeg

C122C93E-63FF-43D1-993E-7D39FE196065.jpeg

5E5421BC-EE2C-41AD-B6BD-17CF8DB0E852.jpeg

5FCABB4A-5245-4A36-A8CE-478EE8615D4D.jpeg

F3A778C4-A4A1-42F6-8E84-90E39F459BC7.jpeg

60FBED63-A747-4B38-BE00-B197BE7817DD.jpeg

Black hair, light scalp...Because of the contrast, this will typically make things look worse....In your case, however, it seems you are thinning into a 5 pattern.  It is important to understand this classification as it will dictate what can be done.  One thing I like about your hair is the waviness.  This, ultimately, will give you more lateral coverage.

I'm glad you are doing medical therapy. Get on it.  If you decide against Fin, add a laser or even PRP.

You seem to have a lot of miniaturized hair, could be you are experiencing retention.  

3500 grafts would be a nice addition to your entire front.  I would avoid the crown until you're happy with the density in the front. Also, start thinking multiple procedures as one will not be enough to achieve the density you seem to have elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Black hair, light scalp...Because of the contrast, this will typically make things look worse....In your case, however, it seems you are thinning into a 5 pattern.  It is important to understand this classification as it will dictate what can be done.  One thing I like about your hair is the waviness.  This, ultimately, will give you more lateral coverage.

I'm glad you are doing medical therapy. Get on it.  If you decide against Fin, add a laser or even PRP.

You seem to have a lot of miniaturized hair, could be you are experiencing retention.  

3500 grafts would be a nice addition to your entire front.  I would avoid the crown until you're happy with the density in the front. Also, start thinking multiple procedures as one will not be enough to achieve the density you seem to have elsewhere.

The clinic seems to think that we can achieve close to full coverage with one FUE session. Is this too good to be true? I also wish to note that even Minoxidl is having a good effect. I am seeing small very thin hairs sprouting, I believe with Fin too my hair will thicken, this is the effect it had on me in the past. 

Thanks for your reply! :)

PRP can help in two ways.  At the time of the procedure...It can bring the hair in sooner.  It can also help reverse miniaturization. The problem, however, is the fact, like any other modality, the process needs to be repeated to keep the effect.  

If Minoxidil and Finasteride are having a good effect, do not stop them.  Doing so is just a waste of time and money.

• Administrators

You have a lot of hair left, are you a candidate? In short, yes. However, that depends on where you want to transplant hair. I think you need to focus solely on the hairline. Nothing in the crown or midscalp, because you have a lot of hair left and may suffer from shock loss. I would suggest using hair loss concealers for the time being, they are a god send and they will improve your self-esteem and confidence. I use them almost every day and let me tell you I have never felt so confident.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You have a lot of hair left, are you a candidate? In short, yes. However, that depends on where you want to transplant hair. I think you need to focus solely on the hairline. Nothing in the crown or midscalp, because you have a lot of hair left and may suffer from shock loss. I would suggest using hair loss concealers for the time being, they are a god send and they will improve your self-esteem and confidence. I use them almost every day and let me tell you I have never felt so confident.

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to go with DHI to minimize chance of shock loss.

Due to my mental issues in connection to hairloss that I have (which are more serious than hairloss itself) I was really wanting to maximise the session and try get a close to full head of hair as possible. I was thinking 3500-4000 grafts to make the most out of the session with Dr. Cinik. Im willing to take the risk to maximise my chances of being happy again if its worth even trying this. Do you think this is a risky outlook? The clinic does think I can get a lot of coverage. If I still have thinning ill probably still wear a hat which I want to avoid if possible. 

I am going on finasteride again and hoping there will be less sides than I had when I tried it when was younger. 

If were to use concealers I would probably not bother and shave my head and be depressed it does kind of defeat the purpose for me and would be afraid of others finding out and their comments. 

Another advantage I have is that I grow my hair to this longer style, so donor area will be well covered with longer hair, never do I cut my sides short. Having less hair on donor means I dont have to constantly trim it lol. I am also happy with results for 10 years, ill probably have kids by then and their troubles will be enough for my hair to fall off anyways lol! 

Thanks again for your feedback,

Much appreciated!

Sam 

AA5EA478-4D39-4E99-BEC9-F3C2188F9909.jpeg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Blackweasel said:

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to go with DHI to minimize chance of shock loss.

Due to my mental issues in connection to hairloss that I have (which are more serious than hairloss itself) I was really wanting to maximise the session and try get a close to full head of hair as possible. I was thinking 3500-4000 grafts to make the most out of the session with Dr. Cinik. Im willing to take the risk to maximise my chances of being happy again if its worth even trying this. Do you think this is a risky outlook? 

Sam 

100% this is a very risky outlook. Do not buy the hype of DHI or DHT procedures, these are mostly marketing gimmicks. Expecting a full head of hair with one procedure, is a risky proposition. You have a VERY high-risk of having shock loss. I wouldn't touch the crown or midscalp.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

Another advantage I have is that I grow my hair to this longer style, so donor area will be well covered with longer hair, never do I cut my sides short.

If you never cut your sides short and don't plan to then you should probably be looking at FUT rather than FUE.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Just now, BeHappy said:

If you never cut your sides short and don't plan to then you should probably be looking at FUT rather than FUE.

My sides are always kept longer with front fringe. I do know thought that MPB will eventually win and Im more than happy to shave my head in 10-15 years. I have no problem being bald at 40 but unhappy with my current state at 25 years of age. I would be afraid of having a visible FUT scar when I eventually loose the battle.... 

• Administrators
18 hours ago, duchaine said:

Why do you consider him an high risk subject ?

Because he has a lot of miniaturized hair on his head. He would be asking the surgeon to create thousands of micro-incisions around these vulnerable hair follicles. I believe that he would suffer a great deal of shock loss, and given the fact that he is not on any DHT blockers like finasteride, it may not grow back. He may actually end up looking worse. 

I think the smart thing to do is to work the front, which is the most important and then revisit the rest of the scalp at a later time. I bet that once his hairline is nice and full, he won't even notice the other parts of his scalp. 

View my thread

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

My sides are always kept longer with front fringe. I do know thought that MPB will eventually win and Im more than happy to shave my head in 10-15 years. I have no problem being bald at 40 but unhappy with my current state at 25 years of age. I would be afraid of having a visible FUT scar when I eventually loose the battle.... 

Watch this carefully till the end

View my thread

58 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Because he has a lot of miniaturized hair on his head. He would be asking the surgeon to create thousands of micro-incisions around these vulnerable hair follicles. I believe that he would suffer a great deal of shock loss, and given the fact that he is not on any DHT blockers like finasteride, it may not grow back. He may actually end up looking worse. 

I think the smart thing to do is to work the front, which is the most important and then revisit the rest of the scalp at a later time. I bet that once his hairline is nice and full, he won't even notice the other parts of his scalp. 

I have the same issue. This is why ido not want the doc makes implants among pre-existing hairs.

anyway, on my thread, @LaserCap had several arguments tosay that is a mistake.

11 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

I have no problem being bald at 40 but unhappy with my current state at 25 years of age. 

No, you will still have a problem being bald when you are 40 (almost everyone in here will have). Guess what, you wake up one day and you are 40 and it feels like yesterday you have been 25. You will be still the same vain person, believe me. 

• Thanks 1

I will be on Finasteride again Monday but I do agree, it wouldve been best to be on fina for atleast 6 months before HT so my hairs thicken and less chance of shock loss. I respond quickly to it (finasteride) and my hair does thicken. I was even responding extremely well to Minoxidl but ive been instructed I cant use it before HT and for 6 months after. Would there be a reason for this? I was getting new thin hair growth with it in balding areas like temples. 

I think due to how prevalent MPB is in my family I will have to accept it eventually. If I can manage around finasteride side effects I will try to use it permenently. Hoping to get less side effects compared to when I was 19, will also try and deal with estrogen levels.

The doc will have to implant hairs among some existing hairs, there has to be some overlap or within a year of MPB there will be a gap between old hair and transplanted hair as the hairline moves backwards. Shockloss is just the risk you have to take.

3500 is overkill imo, 2000-2500 in the temples, front and a few mixed with the existing hair should be fine. Leave the crown

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

No, you will still have a problem being bald when you are 40 (almost everyone in here will have). Guess what, you wake up one day and you are 40 and it feels like yesterday you have been 25. You will be still the same vain person, believe me. 

I thought of the same thing when I was his age, now at 48 yes it does bother me lol

so I totally agree with gas here

2 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

I will be on Finasteride again Monday but I do agree, it wouldve been best to be on fina for atleast 6 months before HT so my hairs thicken and less chance of shock loss. I respond quickly to it (finasteride) and my hair does thicken. I was even responding extremely well to Minoxidl but ive been instructed I cant use it before HT and for 6 months after. Would there be a reason for this? I was getting new thin hair growth with it in balding areas like temples. 

I think due to how prevalent MPB is in my family I will have to accept it eventually. If I can manage around finasteride side effects I will try to use it permenently. Hoping to get less side effects compared to when I was 19, will also try and deal with estrogen levels.

Have you tried topical finasteride With minox?

ive been on it for a month now.

it seems to help but still too early to tell.

i am also schedule to consult with a surgeon next week, my 2nd one and will see what he says, but I hear his wait is one year so I’ve decided to start minox and topical finasteride and hope that can help for the time being. 

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Yes and no.
You want to be a nice looking guy both at 25 and 40.
Anyway...you can be nice at 40 with just a few hair on your scalp because the different standard of beauty.

39 minutes ago, Cahustler said:

Have you tried topical finasteride With minox?

ive been on it for a month now.

it seems to help but still too early to tell.

i am also schedule to consult with a surgeon next week, my 2nd one and will see what he says, but I hear his wait is one year so I’ve decided to start minox and topical finasteride and hope that can help for the time being. 

Id be keen to try fin/ minox topical but have been instructed not to take minoxidl before HT and not to touch it for 6 months after. Im going to try and get compounded finasteride and if I cant will go oral propecia again. I do see hair gain with finasteride so hoping that + HT will give me a decent head of hair long term. 

42 minutes ago, duchaine said:

would like to know why you are considered between 2/3 while I'm considered between 4 and 5!

73352322_3965348133490698_5313303148528402432_n.jpg

I thought the following image was norwood 5?

what does your crown look like? I am not the ideal person to comment on Norwood scale but cannot see you being a Norwood 5? I know im headed there (5)  if I dont do anything about it. 

5BAE959A-13EA-4ADF-A527-83BB11DA70F9.jpeg