Fue scarring

Every time you violate the skin, you'll scar.  All transplant procedures leave scars.  What type scar? It all depends on the technique.  FUE scars can be as small as dots which can be easily covered as the hair grows.  For this to happen it is imperative the doctor use a punch no larger than .9 mm.  

Scars tend to dissipate with time.  A lot depends on the color of the skin. and wound physiology.  

• Like 1

I am looking at a FUE transplant.

I have dark skin (medium brown not black or dark brown) - slightly darker than a tan

I am thinking of buzzing down to 0 or 1 guard in the next 10 years if after my hair transplant my hair loss progresses (I refuse to use finasteride due to it's side effects)

I notice in caucasian people the scars from FUE can be very minimal or at times white dots that can be seen obviously when buzzed short. Does anyone know how these might look in dark skin people?

I do not want to invest in repeat transplants or future SMP - in a away I am happy to just skip the transplant buzz it now if it will cause me ongoing issues. However it would be nice to have some hair in my 'golden years' where most of my peers have full heads of hair.

I've seen patients who have undergone FUT without a visible scar after some time and seen FUE patients with visible scars over time. It depends a lot on the skill of the surgeon and as LaserCap said, the size of the punch being used. Here's a great example of a basically scarless FUT done by @Dr Blake Bloxham, who is highly recommended on here:

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

9 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Every time you violate the skin, you'll scar.  All transplant procedures leave scars.  What type scar? It all depends on the technique.  FUE scars can be as small as dots which can be easily covered as the hair grows.  For this to happen it is imperative the doctor use a punch no larger than .9 mm.  

Scars tend to dissipate with time.  A lot depends on the color of the skin. and wound physiology.  

True and rightly said @LaserCap

@nordicwarrior Here is the video which of how the scars of FUT and FUE looks like and it also depends on patient to patient.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of different factors that go into play when determining how visible a scar may be, whether it's a Strip scar or FUE scars. The main thing I want to address from what you posted though is that even with FUE, I don't think it's reasonable to expect to ever be able to shave down completely without anything being noticeable. It's possible, I suppose, but "shaving" is very different from "buzzing really short" - with the latter being much more likely to pull off. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It's not so much the scars that are the problem but the lowering of the density caused by FUE.  You are left with zones of no hair and a lower overall density that might look obviously thinner than the fringes.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators

FUE will always create scars

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.