Shaving head after transplant

If you were able to shave it before, you'll be able to shave it after.

Should have no effect.  Why though? What's the sense in getting anything done if you're going to keep shaving?  A gradual transition perhaps?

Make sure you don't shave prior to the procedure.  The doctor will want to see the angle and direction, quality, density, etc.  It's a lot easier to mimic when you can see actuality...and not going in there blind.

• Like 1

As said by LC above go with some length so the doctor can assess your native hair and they again should guide you on that.

To shave to that number (around 1mm) you would need to have little to no visible scarring,  so to shave before surgery when no FUE has been done will not present an issue in the donor, but you need to see the clinic to ask about shaving that short post surgery and the implications and this is where the punch size, extraction pattern etc and how you heal comes into play. So, that is the caveat that I would say. 

A shaved look with hair also does look better than a shaved look without hair, that's the whole reason that people opt for SMP also but of course you cannot beat real hair and even at 1mm it is visible. Of course if you grow it out then you will have a different look but for sure a transplant that is shaved in my book is not wasted at all and does look different to no hair.

You will not damage any grafts in shaving but make sure to follow the clinics advise as to when you can shave that short post surgery as the skin will be healing so need to follow what they say.

All the best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

If I understand your question correctly, it seems as if you're asking if you can keep your head buzzed for the first few months after your HT while you're waiting on the new hairs to come through... If so, the answer is yes. I'm not so sure you could go as short as a zero guard (as that will depend on how you're healing, amount of grafts, etc.) but I kept mine buzzed really short for the first few months after the procedure. Then once the new grafts started growing around months 3-4, I stopped buzzing and let things grow in nice and uniform. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

7 hours ago, pkipling said:

if you can keep your head buzzed for the first few months after your HT while you're waiting on the new hairs to come through... If so, the answer is yes.

This is correct. Just through the ugly duckling phase. I dont want uneven loose stray long hair.

Thank you for all your replies.