Beard grafts as donor.

• Moderators

I've had several beard donor sessions. So far I've gotten well over 2300 grafts from my beard and it looks like I can still get another good session. The beard area under the chin heals very well and very quickly and in some men can produce a large amount of good grafts. You will most likely get much less multi hair grafts than you get from your scalp. I really do think this area should be used in conjunction with scalp hair in a lot of hair transplants rather than saving it as a last resort.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@BeHappy I agree with you in what you say about using beard grafts before they come as a last resort. In that case your scalp doner is limited and most of the transplanted hair will come from the beard . Its much better to have the beard hair mixed in well with scalp hair to give a more natural appearance, as opposed to clumped together in the 1 area. 

I was told by Dr.Pradeep I have 3000 grafts in my beard if I wish to use.

How many grafts were you told you had ?

.........Paddy........

On 12/13/2019 at 10:22 PM, BeHappy said:

I've had several beard donor sessions. So far I've gotten well over 2300 grafts from my beard and it looks like I can still get another good session. The beard area under the chin heals very well and very quickly and in some men can produce a large amount of good grafts. You will most likely get much less multi hair grafts than you get from your scalp. I really do think this area should be used in conjunction with scalp hair in a lot of hair transplants rather than saving it as a last resort.

Do you have pics of your beard skin after over 2k grafts?

On 12/14/2019 at 12:22 AM, BeHappy said:

Agreed. I think they are better used in midscalp pointed straight forward.

They don't seem to look right in a crown whirl. 

Scattered thru out the midscalp seems to be best.

I would rather have them on top of my head than under my chin.

I believe mine are a little thicker than scalp hairs, mostly 1's.

2 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

@BeHappy I agree with you in what you say about using beard grafts before they come as a last resort. In that case your scalp doner is limited and most of the transplanted hair will come from the beard . Its much better to have the beard hair mixed in well with scalp hair to give a more natural appearance, as opposed to clumped together in the 1 area. 

I was told by Dr.Pradeep I have 3000 grafts in my beard if I wish to use.

.........Paddy........

Yessir

• Moderators
10 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

I recently had another 635 beard grafts done and I'm up to about 2378 total beard grafts used so far. I'm pretty sure I still have at least a few hundred more and I'll be trying that next year. I've been using chest hair too at the same time, so I'm up to just over 4600 body grafts used in total counting both beard and chest. At the beginning the Dr didn't think he would get anywhere near how many we did so far from my beard, but when I went for the initial consultation my beard area was shaved and the hair there had a lot of gray hairs mixed in and those are hard to see unless I let them grow a bit, so it looked like I only had a bunch of scattered dark hairs rather than as much as I actually had.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, ndubya said:

I would rather have them on top of my head than under my chin.

Exactly. That's what I keep telling people.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• Moderators
11 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Do you have pics of your beard skin after over 2k grafts?

This picture was taken just before going to the clinic on the morning of the last procedure and after dyeing my beard hair, so the hairs are dark and easily seen. This is after 1743 grafts have already been taken from this area, yet it still looks nearly untouched a year after the last procedure.

beardBefore_2019.jpg

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This picture was taken just before going to the clinic on the morning of the last procedure and after dyeing my beard hair, so the hairs are dark and easily seen. This is after 1743 grafts have already been taken from this area, yet it still looks nearly untouched a year after the last procedure.

beardBefore_2019.jpg

Wow that’s fantastic. Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see any issue with the scarring coming from the beard as I dont seenit is very likely. however, what hVe people’s growth response been? whT percentage would say you grew, and the different growth cycles of beard hair affect it 

thanks paddy. how long would you say it took for the beard hairs grow and also would u say that thickness of a beard hir would equal a 2hair scalp graft. I’m pretty much depleted of donor scalp and wondering if the bear could be used to fill in the rest 

@lovinitl9 yes I would say 1 beard graft would be as good as 2 scalp hairs, certainly 1.5  scalp hairs.

Yes beard hair is excellent , its mixed in the mid scalp back into the crown. Its a huge asset to have for low doner of scalp and high norwoods.  I would definitely explore the option, as thousands have recieved great results this way.

........Paddy......

Will be interesting to see this.  Beard grafts in my case shocked my crown and harmed the area more, but it was with a different surgeon.  It will be great to see how this yields.  The yield for me was very poor and it shocked existing hairs which made the area look worse.  I think beard hairs may be more beneficial to strip scars or scars, but to fully cover crown or in between native hairs may not be ideal.  

Hello Sean

Im sorry to hear of your negative experience.  When put in the right hands of skillef surgeons beard hair can and has worked very well. 

There are lots of high norwoods out there that had a limited amount of scalp doner and discovered that their beard grafts were their saving grace.

Nothing is 100%  guaranteed in Hair Restoration , one can only give themselves a great chance if they go to the best surgeon.

......paddy.....

Dr. Kaan Pekiner took 1888 grafts from my beard to add density to the crown and midscalp where he placed 2000 grafts from my head. 
After 5 days my beard donor area was great. 
Not sure if I have more donor area in my beard but it would be great if I did as I only manage to get 30cm2 density from this surgery to my 140cm2 recipient area. 
If it wasn’t for my beard I would have just had 2007 grafts instead of 3895 implanted into a massive area. 

06DD2149-2ED0-4766-A380-F866BCF87975.jpeg

56B01B14-1976-4824-98EA-7BDA50EBB467.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25