Thoughts on my options?

Hey all,

I'm considering a HT, and am at a NW3 (late twenties). I've been on meds for a few years, and my hair loss has progressed slowly since I started them. Bad family history in terms of loss, i.e. all males are essentially bald. 

Any recommendations on how many grafts I would need to fill the corners or if surgery is appropriate? I'm also starting to thin in the temples and sides, is this a typical MPB symptom? Or is this more reminiscent of a different type of alopecia?

Thanks for any input!

IMG_20191117_134805~2.jpg

IMG_20191117_134833~2.jpg

21831293.png

1734210224.png

Seems you have a lot of miniaturized hairs.  Your hairline seems to be in a good "matured" position and will serve you well as you age.  Is it too soon to do hts in the corners? Perhaps. Could you do it? Sure! But I would be one to wait.  Get on medications to make sure they'll work. And, if they do, then , by all means.  And I am certain you'll want to match the density you seem to have elsewhere.  1400-1600 grafts and perhaps a second procedure depending on what happens to the native hair.

"Seem to have".....Your are holding the hair in such a way, it is impossible to tell if you are also thinning through the entire front.  The other thing that doesn't help you is the contrast you have between the color of the hair and the color of the scalp.

Let me reiterate....get on meds and give them a year before you do anything.

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Seems you have a lot of miniaturized hairs.  Your hairline seems to be in a good "matured" position and will serve you well as you age.  Is it too soon to do hts in the corners? Perhaps. Could you do it? Sure! But I would be one to wait.  Get on medications to make sure they'll work. And, if they do, then , by all means.  And I am certain you'll want to match the density you seem to have elsewhere.  1400-1600 grafts and perhaps a second procedure depending on what happens to the native hair.

"Seem to have".....Your are holding the hair in such a way, it is impossible to tell if you are also thinning through the entire front.  The other thing that doesn't help you is the contrast you have between the color of the hair and the color of the scalp.

Let me reiterate....get on meds and give them a year before you do anything.

Thanks Laser,

That makes sense, I hadn't really considered another side of it.

Just for reference, I've been on fin and minox for about three years. My recession has slowly progressed since I started. I'm confident in saying it would be a lot worse if I wasn't on the meds, but I don't think it's stopped it completely.

12 hours ago, bonkling said:

Thanks Laser,

That makes sense, I hadn't really considered another side of it.

Just for reference, I've been on fin and minox for about three years. My recession has slowly progressed since I started. I'm confident in saying it would be a lot worse if I wasn't on the meds, but I don't think it's stopped it completely.

If despite the meds you are still losing hair, I would suggest you get a laser and consider PRP at the time of the procedure.  

How can you determine if your loss has progressed? I'm curious.  Please be specific.

9 hours ago, LaserCap said:

If despite the meds you are still losing hair, I would suggest you get a laser and consider PRP at the time of the procedure.  

How can you determine if your loss has progressed? I'm curious.  Please be specific.

I've been visiting a dermatologist every 6 months for the past few years, to which I have pictures taken that are free of my error-prone photography. The only recession is slight temple recession, but everywhere else my hair appears to be stronger and more full.

Admittedly, I may have overestimated my progressive loss since taking the meds as I obsess over my hair quite extensively.

You could probably get 1500 grafts but I would not lower the hairline much more than about 1 to 1.5cm at most, especially if you have the propensity to end up a high nor wood.

If you can I'd try to hold off another 5 years.  Your hairline is a bit high but looks passable at the moment.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As tempting as it is to fill in ur corners now .. I personally would pass .. if u were in ur mid 30’s n on meds at ur current state .. yeah go for it if I have the funds .. u be at lower risk for aggressive rescission.. but since u are young n ur family history Is bald ! Then u were smart to hop on propecia n rogaine to slow the loss .. 

Right now it’s not about waiting for years to get a transplant .. but it’s about watching how ur hairloss progress .. because more than likely ur forelock will thin out a bit to catch up to ur corners .. then I I would be time to get a ht .. when u are bald enough to get around 2000-2200k grafts go get that frontal band .. zones 1 n 2 . That would make a cosmetic difference .. but if u just doing the corners .. u setting urself up for surgery #2 sooner thAn later ..