Should I Have A Hair Transplant On My Hairline or Crown First?

• Administrators

What do you guys think should you transplant the hairline first or the crown? Why? I'd love to hear the communities thoughts.

Should I Have A Hair Transplant On My Hairline or Crown First?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That will depend....

If you are 100 years old....put them wherever you wish.  

If you have a full set of hair and the only loss you have is in the crown.....Again why not.

Mind you, how much loss are we talking about?  

Many factors go into this.  First, age.  Then, family history.  What pattern are you thinning into.  What are your goals. And then....

Education.  How much donor do you have?  

I think it is important to realize no one has enough donor hair available to allow for a full set of hair, particularly when dealing with an advanced pattern.  So, we typically want to put more value to areas of high impact.  We also want to be pattern appropriate.  A class 6 for example, will have a well receded forelock with a lot of loss in the crown.  

The front is what you see when looking in the mirror and it is also the area others see when you interact with them.  So, in most cases, the idea is to start working the frontal area and blending grafts to the area behind it.  If grafts allow, a doctor could go back as far as possible horizontally so as to minimize the size of the crown, but leaving the crown area alone until the patient is happy with the front and top.  

Medical therapy plays a vital role in all of this.  Retention of the native hair does give patients lots of options...even the possibility of working the crown if the pattern is not expanding any farther.

• Administrators

I think if you're losing hair in the hairline and the crown, the answer is always restore the hairline first. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.