Opinions on Dr. Diep

Hi. I’ve posted before with a similar question. I live in Northern California.

ive noticed some surgeons have a six month waiting list- Dr.Diep being one. 

while Dr. Scott Alexander has no waiting list at all. 

Does this mean anything in terms of how good he is. Since I’ve only seen / read positive things about him. 

I don’t trust before and after photos - which I notice Dr. Diep has where people have this insane density that I’m skeptical of. Since from what I’ve read density is not something one can reach, from what I’ve read it’s not possible to create a 100 percent density as if you are 16 years old. 

I’m 50 years old and have frontal recession and have been told 2,500 grafts. 

Heya: 

Basically, the best doctors don't place a premium as much as the majority of patients on overall graft total. A skilled HT doctor can do more with 2K grafts than a mediocre or unskilled HT doctor can do with 5K grafts. You can see this for yourself just by looking at pics. A lot of the skilled doctors are all about graft placement and selecting the right hairs during transplant. You also want a skilled doc to make sure your donor area lasts a long time; some docs will burn a ton of it and deliver poor results. 

If you want my advice, go with the best and select a doc that does 90% or more of the surgery him/herself. Also, you will never get density at 100%, but good HT are all about making it appear as if you have 100% or close to it density. I'm waiting one year for my second procedure, but to me the wait will be worth it in the long run. 

I have heard many good things about Diep on this forum; idk the other doc, but maybe others on this forum do. Good luck. 

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Moderators
On 11/13/2019 at 2:09 PM, rumblefish7194 said:

ive noticed some surgeons have a six month waiting list- Dr.Diep being one. 

while Dr. Scott Alexander has no waiting list at all. 

Does this mean anything in terms of how good he is.

Unless you know the reasons for the waiting list then I wouldn't say it means anything. What if one Dr does hair transplants 5 days per week and does consultations during lunch breaks or evening hours or even on Saturdays and the other Dr does transplants 3 days per week because he schedules consultations on the other days or likes to take long weekends once in a while. It would make sense that the one who does surgeries 3 days per week would have a longer wait time then one who does them every day, but that doesn't say anything about how good they are. Then there's marketing. Someone could be doing a lot of marketing and building up a waiting list while another could be happy with an ongoing 2 or 3 week waiting time without feeling like they need to market more. There are other reasons as well.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.