The Finasteride dilemma

I want a hairtransplant with a long term perspective. I am 28 

Finastreide is the drug is that really works compared to other meds but probably kills alot of my sex drive. 

To  really sucseeed in my hairtransplant on a permanent basis  i must be prepeared to handle finasteride bi-effects for some 30 years 

So my question is this :  If i dont want to use Finasteride whats the point with a hair transplant ?

20190926_185723.thumb.jpg.b23586d425ba4e3a9c5adb8fe5572ad6.jpg

Solid class 5A with a lot of miniaturized hair.  First thing that comes to mind is PRP along with the transplant.  If done correctly, PRP can help bring in the results sooner and can also help reverse the miniaturization.  Keep in mind, just like any other modality, you'll have to continue doing PRP treatments down the road.  When? It depends on how the treatment is done. Some do a little frequently and others draw a lot more blood but do it in a longer time interval.  Ask the clinic how the do it, what equipment they use, and if they use a binding matrix.

Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP and the typicall modalities discussed when dealing with this debilitating condition.  If you do not want to take Propecia, you do have an array of other choices.  All of these work in different ways and are thus, synergistic when used simultaneously.  Start Rogaine and add laser.  It takes a full year to see the full effect of the meds.  

Take photos of every angle of  your head.  Get started with meds.  6-12 mo from now, take another set of photos.  If you look the same or better, the meds did what they were supposed to do.  Based on the results, you can then decide what to do surgical wise.  And, at that point, please continue the use of whatever modalities you're doing.

• Like 1

If you have side effects concerns of oral Finasteride then look into topical Finasteride, or make your own topical mix with Minoxidil liquid, there are some video tutorials on YouTube., I am considering doing a Fin + Minox mix myself to see how well it may work.

its only worth being on fin to retain your existing hair, which you have very little of left. With that being said, you could be one of the lucky ones that get regrowth with fin/min/derma rolling but that is slim chance.

I agree that you should try fin/minoxidil/derma rolling for 8-12months and if you havent made any gains then you can forget all of them and just get a hair transplant without taking any meds... a lot of guys do this. its not unheard of.

pic of your donor/back?

• Administrators

Don't waste your time, the risks outweigh the reward. Finasteride is meant to preserve hair, not to regrow hair. My hair was very similar to yours, and I don't take finasteride, for the same reason. I had my first procedure nearly 6 years ago and it still looks just as good as it ever has looked.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If it was me I wouldn't touch Finasteride. There are far more and serious effects than sex drive. Anyway it wont do anything for newly transplanted hairs. You have lost a hell of a lot of hair, but I presume you are healthy so thats the main thing isnt it ? Maybe look into what your full expected hair loss will be and see how much doner you have and plan from there.  All the best.

.......... Paddy........

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah.

I went to arguably the top dermatologist in my country (which luckily is couple of buildings away from me) and asked about which drug to use. She prescribed minoxidil and when I asked her about fin she basically laughed at me. Saying no one here prescribes it any more due to frequent side effects.

I have to say I was surprised. I knew about side effects but thought it is too rare for doctors to avoid it all together. But it seems here it is actually the case