Do I have an advanced hair loss? What are my best options?

Gman1

I barley turned 20yrs old last month and I’ve always had naturally fine straight hair but it’s not until the beginning of 2019 my hair started its course to shed a lot I thought cause it was due to the stress I was handling at the time by being a full time college student and a janitor working nightshifts everyday.. also key factor is that I’m really skinny like unhealthy skinny and I have a very bad diet basically to the point if I don’t change my weight I can progress into more serious health issues. So back to my hair..my dad has hair and it’s thin too I’d place him at Norwood 3 and he’s about 50yrs old my paternal grandpa has thin hair too but he keeps it short like a buzz cut so it looks fine just receding on the hair & temples. My maternal grandpa had so much hair he died of cancer couples years back with little to no hair loss at all. And I recently went to a dermatologist in August to identify my hair loss and he didn’t do any special examination or scalp biopsy he just told me to take off my hat(which i was wearing cause of being embarrassed) only words he said was it’s male pattern baldness and he prescribed me biotin supplements & minoxidil 5%. Another key factor is my hair care is so bad like i have a bad case of dandruff and oily/greasy scalp my hair gets so itchy if I don’t take a shower in 1-2 days so I don’t know if I should get a 2nd opinion on my hair but I can’t wait no longer!! my Hairline started to Finally show receding this month & now my temples are thinning im at like NORWOOD 1.5 i started wearing a hat all the time now I DONT KNOW if that’s making it worse either!!!! I want to treat this fast and possibly reverse & regain my hair if I can. Or atleast is prevent & stop the hair shedding now & make my current hair stronger and thicker!!! Please guys I need your opinions I’m too young to be experiencing this ... ):

EF9A4323-A3A0-4DF3-9494-5329B53F0A73.jpeg

8DB85400-A688-4FB2-8739-BDD3F1693582.png

89F76FA0-02B9-4B47-B640-2524AC8E1E96.jpeg

1EF997B0-D24B-443E-B107-3720F6158087.png

• I barley turned 20yrs old last month and I’ve always had naturally fine straight hair but it’s not until the beginning of 2019 my hair started its course to shed a lot I thought cause it was due to the stress I was handling at the time by being a full time college student and a janitor working nightshifts everyday.. also key factor is that I’m really skinny like unhealthy skinny and I have a very bad diet basically to the point if I don’t change my weight I can progress into more serious health issues. So back to my hair..my dad has hair and it’s thin too I’d place him at Norwood 3 and he’s about 50yrs old my paternal grandpa has thin hair too but he keeps it short like a buzz cut so it looks fine just receding on the hair & temples. My maternal grandpa had so much hair he died of cancer couples years back with little to no hair loss at all. And I recently went to a dermatologist in August to identify my hair loss and he didn’t do any special examination or scalp biopsy he just told me to take off my hat(which i was wearing cause of being embarrassed) only words he said was it’s male pattern baldness and he prescribed me biotin supplements & minoxidil 5%. Another key factor is my hair care is so bad like i have a bad case of dandruff and oily/greasy scalp my hair gets so itchy if I don’t take a shower in 1-2 days so I don’t know if I should get a 2nd opinion on my hair but I can’t wait no longer!! my Hairline started to Finally show receding this month & now my temples are thinning im at like NORWOOD 1.5 i started wearing a hat all the time now I DONT KNOW if that’s making it worse either!!!! I want to treat this fast and possibly reverse & regain my hair if I can. Or atleast is prevent & stop the hair shedding now & make my current hair stronger and thicker!!! Please guys I need your opinions I’m too young to be experiencing this ... 😞

One step at a time.  You seem to have medium course hair based on the photos...You do not have fine hair. 

Shedding is normal. Most believe 100 hairs a day is the norm.  (The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it goes into a dormant period.  The hair will eventually return.

Stress is not the cause of the loss, but it can prompt the hair to go away sooner. Stop stressing.  It is likely you can not do anything about the situation any way.  If I've learned something  so far is the fact that tomorrow always seems to be a better day and issues tend to resolve themselves without intervention.  

If you are eating the wrong things, start eating healthier.  You have control over that.

You have family history and you've shown the propensity to lose.  You will continue losing hair unless you start doing something about it.  Get on medical therapy.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the modalities we typically discuss when dealing with this issue.  The mechanism of action of each is totally different and are thus, synergistic. 

Biotin will not help you with retention nor enhancement of the native hair.  It will help make the hair look as healthy as it can be.  

Take showers daily. Hygiene is important not only for you but for those all around you.

Dandruff is typically caused by alcohol in the shampoo.  This tends to dry up the scalp and create flakes.  Change shampoos.  Baby shampoo has not alcohol and should resolve the issue.

Hats do not cause hair loss.

Visit with a doctor and discuss medical therapy. Give it a year to see the full effect and make a decision of what to do next based on the outcome.

• Administrators

What is your current diet, caloric intake and weight? It's possible that you're losing hair due to vitamin deficiencies. I asked you this question in another thread, but you haven't answered. It's really difficult to give you advice unless we know what's going on with your diet. Also, why is your diet so bad? is it due to financial issues, stress, mental? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:26 PM, LaserCap said:
  • I barley turned 20yrs old last month and I’ve always had naturally fine straight hair but it’s not until the beginning of 2019 my hair started its course to shed a lot I thought cause it was due to the stress I was handling at the time by being a full time college student and a janitor working nightshifts everyday.. also key factor is that I’m really skinny like unhealthy skinny and I have a very bad diet basically to the point if I don’t change my weight I can progress into more serious health issues. So back to my hair..my dad has hair and it’s thin too I’d place him at Norwood 3 and he’s about 50yrs old my paternal grandpa has thin hair too but he keeps it short like a buzz cut so it looks fine just receding on the hair & temples. My maternal grandpa had so much hair he died of cancer couples years back with little to no hair loss at all. And I recently went to a dermatologist in August to identify my hair loss and he didn’t do any special examination or scalp biopsy he just told me to take off my hat(which i was wearing cause of being embarrassed) only words he said was it’s male pattern baldness and he prescribed me biotin supplements & minoxidil 5%. Another key factor is my hair care is so bad like i have a bad case of dandruff and oily/greasy scalp my hair gets so itchy if I don’t take a shower in 1-2 days so I don’t know if I should get a 2nd opinion on my hair but I can’t wait no longer!! my Hairline started to Finally show receding this month & now my temples are thinning im at like NORWOOD 1.5 i started wearing a hat all the time now I DONT KNOW if that’s making it worse either!!!! I want to treat this fast and possibly reverse & regain my hair if I can. Or atleast is prevent & stop the hair shedding now & make my current hair stronger and thicker!!! Please guys I need your opinions I’m too young to be experiencing this ... 😞

One step at a time.  You seem to have medium course hair based on the photos...You do not have fine hair. 

Shedding is normal. Most believe 100 hairs a day is the norm.  (The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it goes into a dormant period.  The hair will eventually return.

Stress is not the cause of the loss, but it can prompt the hair to go away sooner. Stop stressing.  It is likely you can not do anything about the situation any way.  If I've learned something  so far is the fact that tomorrow always seems to be a better day and issues tend to resolve themselves without intervention.  

If you are eating the wrong things, start eating healthier.  You have control over that.

You have family history and you've shown the propensity to lose.  You will continue losing hair unless you start doing something about it.  Get on medical therapy.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the modalities we typically discuss when dealing with this issue.  The mechanism of action of each is totally different and are thus, synergistic. 

Biotin will not help you with retention nor enhancement of the native hair.  It will help make the hair look as healthy as it can be.  

Take showers daily. Hygiene is important not only for you but for those all around you.

Dandruff is typically caused by alcohol in the shampoo.  This tends to dry up the scalp and create flakes.  Change shampoos.  Baby shampoo has not alcohol and should resolve the issue.

Hats do not cause hair loss.

Visit with a doctor and discuss medical therapy. Give it a year to see the full effect and make a decision of what to do next based on the outcome.

I believe I’m shedding more than the average 50-100 hairs like prolly over 30-40 more hairs extra I’ve lost like so much density and like my hairline receded like 3cm back there is still some original hairs from where was it was originally at and my temples are the same but I see some receding going on now. I didn’t stress would contribute to accelerating hair loss 😞

yeah I’m trying my best to have a better diet and be more healthy in general. Can malnutrition real play a big role in my hair loss too? 

But before trying any treatments what kind of hair loss may It seem im handling with hear? My dermatologist gave me a 5second look and stated it’s just regular MPB. From what it looks like my dad has some sort of diffuse alopecia I just want to identify my situation and cause so I can combat with the best options before I try minoxidil or anything else(also scared of propecia Side effects so no thank you)  I know the longer I wait to start treatment the worse it gets for me so that’s why I want anyone to give the best estimate on what type of hair loss I’m dealing with here to handle it.

can it be possible I have a biotin deficiency? Can that be a factor on losing hair or does it no work like that?

it was just an experiment for my hair I know hygiene is upmost the important to have my hair healthy as possible!

I thought sulfate was another chemical than can cause dandruff? Would head and shoulders be an alright alternative instead of baby shampoo?

im suppose to get a physical check in the beginning of December so I’d be sure to trying to find the root of my hair loss(no pun intended).

but I think waiting a full year would make me go nuts if I’m noticing some early signs /: 

On 11/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

What is your current diet, caloric intake and weight? It's possible that you're losing hair due to vitamin deficiencies. I asked you this question in another thread, but you haven't answered. It's really difficult to give you advice unless we know what's going on with your diet. Also, why is your diet so bad? is it due to financial issues, stress, mental? 

I had mention my daily calorie intake on the other thread! And yeah my mom says im not taking all my daily vitamins that my body needs and me stressing about is not helping 😞

id say financial issues play a big part but not to the point where it’s my first priority I’m barely stable on getting resources so it’s nothing to worry about as much. Stress I mostly get it from school & work if I’m being honest.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:46 PM, Gman1 said:

I had mention my daily calorie intake on the other thread! And yeah my mom says im not taking all my daily vitamins that my body needs and me stressing about is not helping 😞

id say financial issues play a big part but not to the point where it’s my first priority I’m barely stable on getting resources so it’s nothing to worry about as much. Stress I mostly get it from school & work if I’m being honest.

Just remember that no matter how shitty things can get, your mind and body is made to adept to mental and physical stress. I wont tell you "stop stressing", i ve been there, i m still there, im stressing like crazy. Instead of that, forget about the hair, come back in 3 months, take another pic and compare it. I would usually have 1 day in few months where i go full panic mode but then i give it time and realize it was panic. 

You do have crown thinning. To determine how aggressive it is, you ll need to take another pic in few months. As far as the treatment goes, if you ever decide to go with fin, do the blood work before taking it. You need to make sure your hormones are good because side effects happen to people who have too high or too low estrogen.