What type of hair loss do I have? What can I do to combat it?

hey guys this is my first post so a little background of me....

I barley turned 20yrs 2months ago  and I’ve always had naturally fine straight hair but it’s not until the beginning of 2019 my hair started its course to shed a lot I thought cause it was due to the stress I was handling at the time by being a full time college student and a janitor working nightshifts everyday.. also key factor is that I’m really skinny like borderline anorexic and I have a very bad diet basically to the point if I don’t change my weight I can progress into more serious health issues. So back to my hair..my dad has hair and it’s thin too I’d place him at Norwood 3 and he’s about 50yrs old my paternal grandpa has thin hair too but he keeps it short like a buzz cut so it looks fine just receding on the hair & temples. My maternal grandpa had so much hair he died of cancer couples years back with little to no hair loss at all. And I recently went to a dermatologist in August to identify my hair loss and he didn’t do any special examination or scalp biopsy he just told me to take off my hat(which i was wearing cause of being embarrassed) only words he said was it’s male pattern baldness and he prescribed me biotin supplements & minoxidil 5%. Another key factor is my hair care is so bad like i have a bad case of dandruff and oily/greasy scalp my hair gets so itchy if I don’t take a shower in 1-2 days so I don’t know if I should get a 2nd opinion on my hair but I can’t wait no longer!! my Hairline started to Finally show receding this month & now my temples are thinning im at like NORWOOD 1.5 i started wearing a hat all the time now I DONT KNOW if that’s making it worse either!!!! I want to treat this fast and possibly reverse & regain my hair if I can. Or atleast is prevent & stop the hair shedding now & make my current hair stronger and thicker!!! Please guys I need your opinions I’m too young to be experiencing this ... 😞

11037FA2-C797-4C93-A023-95AB86FCD7FB.png

1991BB4B-88F7-4E0B-9A82-0F0B26637847.jpeg

77E0D513-760A-4EAA-8489-88671712E0BF.jpeg

B0727440-37FE-4A16-AA4C-51A6BCC3FE71.jpeg

Edited by Gman1
Title change
  • Like 1

• Administrators

It’s difficult to say, the pictures don’t appear to be any significant thinning. It’s possible you’ve lost hair from malnutrition. How’s your diet now?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It’s difficult to say, the pictures don’t appear to be any significant thinning. It’s possible you’ve lost hair from malnutrition. How’s your diet now?

My diet is still the same to be honest but I started taking protein shakes every morning from September. But I’ve lost atleast 30-40% hair density should I see another dermatologist to get a second opinion about the health of my hair? Could it be some type of vitamin or mineral deficiency that my hair is not getting? And how can I test for that?

Edited by Gman1

On 11/10/2019 at 9:42 PM, Gman1 said:

My diet is still the same to be honest but I started taking protein shakes every morning from September. But I’ve lost atleast 30-40% hair density should I see another dermatologist to get a second opinion about the health of my hair? Could it be some type of vitamin or mineral deficiency that my hair is not getting? And how can I test for that?

I went to my doctor a few years back and said I was losing my hair and they ordered some blood tests for me. I believe they tested my thyroid along with some vitamin levels. Turned out I had anemia caused by a folate deficiency lol, but fixing that did not help my hair loss

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Curious said:

Have you seen a psychologist about your anorexia?  That's something you should address right away.  

That’s quite the assumption, let’s not assume anything about anyone without getting the facts first please.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
On 11/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, Gman1 said:

What are you eating? Are you eating a well balanced diet? How many calories per day? Protein shakes are supplements, they’re not meant to replace food.

View my thread

I certainly see some generalized thinning...based on your age you may have a case Telogen Effluvium and I recommend that you see a doctor experienced in treating this to be sure.

Also, the thinning is affecting the entire scalp, not just the top.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

"That’s quite the assumption, let’s not assume anything about anyone without getting the facts first please."

I am not assuming anything.  He wrote, 'I’m really skinny like borderline anorexic and I have a very bad diet basically to the point if I don’t change my weight I can progress into more serious health issues..."  There is reason to be concerned about Gman1's health.  A 20 year old with the issues described should be getting professional assistance. 

• Administrators

He was implying his weight was borderline anorexic, not that he was anorexic. Let's gather the facts, before we assume he is anorexic. Based on his response about drinking protein shakes, it seems like maybe he has trouble keeping on weight. @Gman1 please elaborate and clarify why it is that you feel you are so skinny? 

• Like 1

View my thread

@Gman1

I want to start by saying that things are really not that bad. You have a lot more hair than I had when I was 20. The same can be said for many other guys. This may not sound particularly helpful to you, but the reason that I say this is that you are not alone in going through this. 

It sounds as though you have a few things going on, and the anxiety/stress is of course not helping you. 

Whilst your dermatologist visit doesn't sound as though it was too helpful, the biotin and minoxidil that was prescribed, did you go ahead and begin using them? This is important moving forward. For any individual that has experienced hair loss, you are genetically pre-disposed to lose further hair as you well know. Minoxidil could help to stabilise your hair.

Do you have product in your hair in the photos, or was it recently washed? Your hair appears somewhat greasy in the photos provided. I believe that if you were to wash your hair and send photos, it may get different feedback. Your crown seems to show some thinning, but this isn't helped by a greasy appearance.

You say that you hair scalp gets very itchy if you dont shower for one or two days. That is the case for many individuals and I would suggest that it is essential to shower daily. This would potentially solve this issue that you are experiencing.

You are a young guy who struggles to gain weight. This is common. You say that you have a very bad diet. Could you please explain this. A healthy balanced diet is essential. If you can control what you eat, you can control many other aspects of your life. Your diet will dictate your mood, your sleep behaviours, your outlook, your energy. With the effect that these factors offer when combined, can change you complete view on yourself and life. They are essential. Do you move? Exercise? Yoga? Your body needs to move.

Your family hair loss history seems in your favour.

All in all, you are not in a bad position at all. Make a few changes in your life, that you do have control over. Take the best care of your hair that you can. Try Biotin and minoxidil. 

The worst advice that you can give somebody who is feeling down, is to be positive. If only it were that easy. But make the changes that allow you to change that mentality.

I have been there. Im speaking from experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, 147break said:

I went to my doctor a few years back and said I was losing my hair and they ordered some blood tests for me. I believe they tested my thyroid along with some vitamin levels. Turned out I had anemia caused by a folate deficiency lol, but fixing that did not help my hair loss

Did you ever find the cause of your hair loss? And are you taking any regimen for it?

On 11/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

What are you eating? Are you eating a well balanced diet? How many calories per day? Protein shakes are supplements, they’re not meant to replace food.

I know I’m not eating enough I’d say my calories intake are around 1500-2000 a day.Even though I’m taking protein shakes It barley makes any difference but it’s still something.I never knew malnutrition can cause some hair loss I see homeless guys with way better hair than me & yet they’re hungry like me.Besides being prone to hair loss I just want to identify the type of mine to at least try to maintain what I have left /:

15 minutes ago, Gman1 said:

Did you ever find the cause of your hair loss? And are you taking any regimen for it?

Just plain old MPB. However I also took accutane when I was younger and that thinned my hair out considerably which didn't recover very well, and I think it sped up the MPB. I say this because I have an identical twin who did not take accutane and my hair loss is more advanced than his.

I took finasteride for 18 months and that thickened up my hair by a crazy amount. See the pics below

IMG_20160904_145715.thumb.jpg.36410f5ae83a41b2970c177a948c8e94.jpg

IMG_20180612_001115.thumb.jpg.ec472a9bc7aa2f04cb22f1e15af797da.jpg

Unfortunately I decided to shave my head and stop taking finasteride for 10 months and I'm closer to the first image rather than the second image now :( I'm back on finasteride for a few months and I'm hoping it comes back

Edited by 147break

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Gman1 said:

I know I’m not eating enough I’d say my calories intake are around 1500-2000 a day.Even though I’m taking protein shakes It barley makes any difference but it’s still something.I never knew malnutrition can cause some hair loss I see homeless guys with way better hair than me & yet they’re hungry like me.Besides being prone to hair loss I just want to identify the type of mine to at least try to maintain what I have left /:

Well 2,000 calories isn't that low, but yes vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss. Biotin, Vitamin D and other deficiencies can cause thinning. Homeless people for the most part don't starve, they have people feed them. Why don't you eat enough? Is there a particular reason why?

View my thread

How many times have we heard from guys who took Accutane and experienced detrimental effects on their hair.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, Raphael84 said:

@Gman1

I want to start by saying that things are really not that bad. You have a lot more hair than I had when I was 20. The same can be said for many other guys. This may not sound particularly helpful to you, but the reason that I say this is that you are not alone in going through this. 

It sounds as though you have a few things going on, and the anxiety/stress is of course not helping you. 

Whilst your dermatologist visit doesn't sound as though it was too helpful, the biotin and minoxidil that was prescribed, did you go ahead and begin using them? This is important moving forward. For any individual that has experienced hair loss, you are genetically pre-disposed to lose further hair as you well know. Minoxidil could help to stabilise your hair.

Do you have product in your hair in the photos, or was it recently washed? Your hair appears somewhat greasy in the photos provided. I believe that if you were to wash your hair and send photos, it may get different feedback. Your crown seems to show some thinning, but this isn't helped by a greasy appearance.

You say that you hair scalp gets very itchy if you dont shower for one or two days. That is the case for many individuals and I would suggest that it is essential to shower daily. This would potentially solve this issue that you are experiencing.

You are a young guy who struggles to gain weight. This is common. You say that you have a very bad diet. Could you please explain this. A healthy balanced diet is essential. If you can control what you eat, you can control many other aspects of your life. Your diet will dictate your mood, your sleep behaviours, your outlook, your energy. With the effect that these factors offer when combined, can change you complete view on yourself and life. They are essential. Do you move? Exercise? Yoga? Your body needs to move.

Your family hair loss history seems in your favour.

All in all, you are not in a bad position at all. Make a few changes in your life, that you do have control over. Take the best care of your hair that you can. Try Biotin and minoxidil. 

The worst advice that you can give somebody who is feeling down, is to be positive. If only it were that easy. But make the changes that allow you to change that mentality.

I have been there. Im speaking from experience. 

And I thank you for being here & getting feedback from you guys that’s why I’m still here asking what can I possible do to treat my case? 

Yeah my anxiety has been through the roof lately and my stress has pretty much been the same from the beginning of the year my arms, body, and face twitches quite a few times now like if my stress hasn’t made any progress on calming down.

yeah I was thinking of getting a second opinion since my dermatologist was just doing his hourly job. I’m suppose to get my physical check and I’d be sure to bring up my hair loss & if had any correlation with any body complications I’m having. I’m honestly so scared of trying minoxidil at the moment since I’ve heard it can make your hair loss worse besides the initial shedding phase. Biotin can keep the hair i have as healthy as possible but before trying all these treatments I want like an official examination of my hair loss until i actually start a regimen for it. Glad there’s experienced people like you to give some guidance an advice before doing anything at all. 

No i did not have a product on my hair that’s how it gets if I don’t shower for 1 day or 2. It gets really greasy, flaky and the thinning is way more noticeable in this state. I’m saying why i don’t shower for 1/2 days just cause I heard if I over wash my hair while having dandruff it can be bad for haircare. I’ll show you a photo how my hair looks when dry BUT the appearance is honestly too good to be true due to it being like my last layer of hair density if wind were to blow my hair and mess with it... it would look like the second picture 😞

I say my diet is not the best but i try to keep it a basic & fulfilling but it’s obviously not sufficient enough in my case i need to be eating 2x times the amount of everyone else. For example I would eat like cereal in the morning before school prolly a couple snacks like granola bar or apple. I do exercise a good amount since I’m a skater around. Around lunch time I would the same hint like a sub sandwich also I get dehydrated super fast so I try to always drink water, juice, lemonade etc whenever I’m starting my day also when I’m eating. And used to get hot flashes a lot back then but now I think it’s a bit better I’ll only get 1 or 2 rarely. So far I eat okay I think but it can be way better to be honest i sometimes starve when I’m at work since I’m one of few workers at my job.

Yeah i know to some degree everyone experiences hair loss at some point but I do also know that there is ways or I hope there’s is options to maintain & prevent any shedding from now on that’s why I want to get to the bottom of this problem to see if you guys can point out im going through the early stages or something... 

If I had started the products the dermatologist gave me i know it would of made some sort of change but i don’t know if that change will be Good if honestly don’t know what’s going on with my hair first I hope you can understand where I’m coming from...

but I really appreciate you’re feedback dude! 

Both pictures hair is fully dry just the one above shows when my hair looks when blown by wind ..

344C1B60-6E2A-447D-82DB-1AB87AF18305.png

9F917AFF-DA74-4488-819A-3C5791D57EA9.jpeg

Edited by Gman1

On 11/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, 147break said:

Just plain old MPB. However I also took accutane when I was younger and that thinned my hair out considerably which didn't recover very well, and I think it sped up the MPB. I say this because I have an identical twin who did not take accutane and my hair loss is more advanced than his.

I took finasteride for 18 months and that thickened up my hair by a crazy amount. See the pics below

IMG_20160904_145715.thumb.jpg.36410f5ae83a41b2970c177a948c8e94.jpg

IMG_20180612_001115.thumb.jpg.ec472a9bc7aa2f04cb22f1e15af797da.jpg

Unfortunately I decided to shave my head and stop taking finasteride for 10 months and I'm closer to the first image rather than the second image now :( I'm back on finasteride for a few months and I'm hoping it comes back

Why did you have to shave your head if I can ask? Cause I heard that can also accelerate hair loss.  And why is it that you stopped treatment?  And I’m pretty sure if you were to get on the BIG 3 from what I heard it’ll make some great gains on your situation dude!

Edited by Gman1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:06 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well 2,000 calories isn't that low, but yes vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss. Biotin, Vitamin D and other deficiencies can cause thinning. Homeless people for the most part don't starve, they have people feed them. Why don't you eat enough? Is there a particular reason why?

Let’s say my vitamins/minerals are good what else can it be? Some type of diffuse thinning? If it is diffusion hair loss any suggestions on what or how to treat this? Cause I’m almost certain now by looking at others experiences & situation it might be DUPA ); my uncle who has Down syndrome has very thin diffuse hair loss on the scalp and crown but doesn’t look bad in certain angles.

and I explained my diet on my other reply above^^

Edited by Gman1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Gman1 said:

Let’s say my vitamins/minerals are good what else can it be? Some type of diffuse thinning? If it is diffusion hair loss any suggestions on what or how to treat this? Cause I’m almost certain now by looking at others experiences & situation it might be DUPA ); my uncle who has Down syndrome has very thin diffuse hair loss on the scalp and crown but doesn’t look bad in certain angles.

and I explained my diet on my other reply above^^

If it's not from malnutrition it's probably Diffused Patterned Alopecia 

View my thread

On 11/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

If it's not from malnutrition it's probably Diffused Patterned Alopecia 

Should I start treatment right away? Or should I wait until my doctors opinion on it? Once i get my hair examined. Cause I feel like i have still have time to see good results if I’m catching it this early.

Edited by Gman1

The sooner you see a reputable doctor, the better.

Gillenator

11 hours ago, gillenator said:

The sooner you see a reputable doctor, the better.

Based on my situation with this shedding & loss of hair density what’s the best guess you can give to identify on my type of hair loss? 

In your initial pics that you put up, your crown shows the typical type of loss in the crown that is associated with MPB.

Having said that, the other pics show generalized thinning throughout your scalp and IMHO, it does not look like DPA. 

I don't believe your loss is caused by a poor diet...but one of the most interesting factors you stated was the fact that you were on Accutane.

I have seen a number of cases like yours of young guys who took Accutane for acne and had very similar hair loss pattern.

And yes, I believe Accutane can advance the progression of MPB.

Now please understand that I am not stating this is in fact the cause of your hair loss, I am just stating that IMHO, it looks like loss associated with side effects from Accutane usage.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

9 hours ago, gillenator said:

In your initial pics that you put up, your crown shows the typical type of loss in the crown that is associated with MPB.

Having said that, the other pics show generalized thinning throughout your scalp and IMHO, it does not look like DPA. 

I don't believe your loss is caused by a poor diet...but one of the most interesting factors you stated was the fact that you were on Accutane.

I have seen a number of cases like yours of young guys who took Accutane for acne and had very similar hair loss pattern.

And yes, I believe Accutane can advance the progression of MPB.

Now please understand that I am not stating this is in fact the cause of your hair loss, I am just stating that IMHO, it looks like loss associated with side effects from Accutane usage.

I wasnt the guy who used accutane that was the other guy. im just now experiencing a lot of hair shedding this year. It’s weird cause no one in my family is bald literally no one. Also is it possible to have more than 1 type of hair loss attacking my hairs?

Edited by Gman1