Is my Donor area good enough for a HT?

Hi guys, 

Contacted some clinics about a HT and one of them said my donor area wasnt good enough yet for a HT (Dr Demirsoy suggested I wait and take finasteride for another 6 months). What do you guys think and have any of you taken finasteride to help donor area with any success?

Thank you!

ps (the other clinics didnt say anything just Dr Demirsoy)

IMG_8978.jpg

IMG_9152.PNG

IMG_9153.PNG

Edited by limeyaz

Yeah it looks below average density and you have extensive thinning.  Sorry.  Finasteride is a good idea.  I take 1/4 Proscar twice a week myself.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

18 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

Yeah it looks below average density and you have extensive thinning.  Sorry.  Finasteride is a good idea.  I take 1/4 Proscar twice a week myself.

Ah ok, thank you for the reply. I think I will increase my finasteride dose (only on 0.25 per day at the moment) and see if that helps 👍

I would definitely take finasteride and see if it helps, however at the same time, I would not be discouraged if he is the only doctor that said you are not suitable for a hair transplant. I have consulted with twenty surgeons, in US, Canada and Turkey and Dr Demirsoy was the only one that said my donor area was not suitable for a HT. I have had in person consultations, so the doctors I have consulted with know what they are talking about. 

Hi

Looking at your photos, I’d have to agree with Dr Demirsoy’s opinion, your donor does look sub par so yeah increasing your Finasteride dose may help to get it strengthen up a bit, BUT be aware that should your donor improve and you do get an HT procedure done that you will likely have to stay on Finasteride for a long time as lowering the dose dramatically or coming off of it after your HT could leave those transplanted hairs to go weaker.

I definitely think you should go to a reputable HT in your local area to get an in person assessment and consultation of your donor and take it from there, as it may be better than in photos.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hi

Looking at your photos, I’d have to agree with Dr Demirsoy’s opinion, your donor does look sub par so yeah increasing your Finasteride dose may help to get it strengthen up a bit, BUT be aware that should your donor improve and you do get an HT procedure done that you will likely have to stay on Finasteride for a long time as lowering the dose dramatically or coming off of it after your HT could leave those transplanted hairs to go weaker.

I definitely think you should go to a reputable HT in your local area to get an in person assessment and consultation of your donor and take it from there, as it may be better than in photos.

Good Luck!

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply, i will definitely look into that. Yes for some reason some of my pictures look way better than others and even in real life It doesn't seem to look as bad (to me anyway. But maybe I am biased!

My only concern is that I read online that finasteride wont help to improve the density of the donor area because the hair in that region is already resistant to DHI...

Anyway, thank you again!

9 hours ago, abcd913651 said:

I would definitely take finasteride and see if it helps, however at the same time, I would not be discouraged if he is the only doctor that said you are not suitable for a hair transplant. I have consulted with twenty surgeons, in US, Canada and Turkey and Dr Demirsoy was the only one that said my donor area was not suitable for a HT. I have had in person consultations, so the doctors I have consulted with know what they are talking about. 

Hi there,

Thanks, that is very interesting. I will try to get some more opinions of other doctors and see what they say!

2 hours ago, limeyaz said:

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply, i will definitely look into that. Yes for some reason some of my pictures look way better than others and even in real life It doesn't seem to look as bad (to me anyway. But maybe I am biased!

My only concern is that I read online that finasteride wont help to improve the density of the donor area because the hair in that region is already resistant to DHI...

Anyway, thank you again!

You’re welcome!

i understand your concern, and I too have not seen any cases where a weak donor was much improved with more density due to Finasteride, it’s more to strengthen the current growing follicles or follicles in the process of miniaturization.