Plug romoval/re-distribution and possibly other repair work

In 1989 I was a college freshman with thin hair that was starting to fall out. Graduated in 1993 and had considerable hair loss. By 1994 I was almost done hair-wise, very traumatic for a young man who is just starting his life, I freaked. That winter, watching a late night informercial on HT's, I though I had the answer. After two consultations with the 'Dr.', I fell for the micro/mini graft, very small scar, full head of hair, etc from this Long Island Medical practice. No internet at the time and I didn’t even know plugs were a thing and as been repeated as I have recently read up on numerous message boards, “You trust a doctor and never would you think they could be so unethical.” This is much different thn a snake oil salesman selling a hairpiece. This is a doctor doing surgery that lasts a lifetime. As a young man I should have understood the supply and demand model and I still kick myself in the ass falling for the full head of hair BS.  

3 Procedures winter and spring of 94. By fall I was obviously very unsatisfied. Unnatural small plug look with a few large ones, bad distribution, horrible donor strip scarring, etc, etc. My hair is kind of fine/thin so I feel it was not as bad as some I saw as I noticed more people with plugs (never really noticed them until after my ordeal started) but now I was stuck and stupidly went for one more ‘free’ procedure as I was told they just need to make it more dense.

The next 4 years I got by and since my hair is fine/thin texture, under certain lighting, dark, sun, etc it just looked like a young man getting pretty bald. Under many other situations, angles, etc you could see the plugs, cobble-stoning, unnatural hairline, etc. I got by, met a nice girl (now my wife) who never really noticed until I opened up to her, etc, etc. Some days, and even to this day, people don’t notice. Other times in a conversation I could see eyes look at my hairline. Sometime when I am out I see, or just maybe imagine, people checking out my hair/hairline. Myself, as I wrote, I got by but was, and still, always self conscience.

In 1998 I visited Dr. Bernstein (at the time he was with NHI in Ft Lee NJ) and felt he was very honest though understandably I lost all faith in the medical community, especially cosmetic medicine. He explained what he and Dr Rassman were doing (which now made more sense to me) and how he could try to camouflage. I can say that I think Dr. Bernstein used some of the best technique that 1998 technology provided and he tried to camouflage my pluggy look. I forgot how many grafts I received and the ones he added were the size he stated but my coverage, and at that point I was very realistic, was still less thn desirable. This is in no way a bash of Dr Bernstein as he never up-sold me, never promised a full head of hair, etc. He was ethical and honest with his graft size/hair per graft, no bumps from his grafts, and it was definitely an improvement though not what I thought it would be. I understood a full head of hair would never be in the cards for me but thought I would get more camouflage in my hairline and coverage. I’ve lived the most normal life I can since thn though I am always self conscious.  

So here I am today, 25+ years in this journey and things are changing. I have lost even more hair recently (crown area getting even larger) and I am graying. The contrast between my skin, gray hair and dark have given me a more pluggy look. Also, I don’t mind being bald but so is the case of a 48 year old compared to 23 year old staring out life. I actually think I pull off the very thin/very balding look ok and I do not even mind my gray hair. That said, I’d like to look more natural (or at least less pluggy) and maybe even fill in more spots to even out the thinness. My donor area seems kinda depleted so I am not sure how possible any of this is. 

I am looking at a few possibilities to just move forward being less self conscious as my life moves on. I have no problem with my scalp showing and just want a more natural appearance. I could care less if the plugs in my crown are removed/re-distributed to other areas as my crown will never be covered anyhow. Some things I’d like to accomplish if even possible or recommended. 

1) Remove larger plugs in my crown area slice them into smaller grafts and redistribute them to areas of need to try to maybe balance out my thin appearance 

2)Remove larger plugs in my hairline and a lil behind hairline dissect and re-distribute them to that same area or others depending what doc says. 

(Does plug excursion and re-distribution grow at a decent rate or is the return rate poor? What about scarring? Blood supply/flow to the head if plugs are removed and redistributed.)

3) See how that goes and if I have any hair left to use in my donor area, just use that to even out some coverage for a thin or more natural appearance in areas of need. With FUE has the donor hair expanded to your sides?

4) Fixing my donor scars if even possible

I do not know what is possible but I do know technology and techniques have changed since 1998. I also know, though many docs are very reputable I am very nervous having someone touch my scalp again. I have started reading message boards on HT repairs, articles, researching Dr’s etc. For you young bucks and older gents out there thinking of getting HT’s, you have great resources and you truly need to do your HW. I am shocked that there are still ‘doctors’ who will do bad work and destroy peoples lives. It is all really sad and sickening on so many levels.  

I live outside of Princeton NJ. Some of the Dr’s in my area that have popped on my radar in my short research are Dr. Bernstein, True and Dorin, Dr Carlos Wesley, Feller/Bloxham, .  

Anyone have any experience with their plug excursion and re-distribution? 

What other Dr’s should I put on my radar as I start my research?  

I am not against travel and have just started reading up on Dr. Cooley in NC, Dr. Lindsey in Va (against excursion), etc. Thn again, I have no clue and do not want to fall for some sales pitch again. Cost is also a factor though I will cross that bridge when it comes and make my decision. That said, who else should I look into?  

I’m sure I will have more questions but here we go with my first post. Thank you for reading and I look forward to answers and more discussion on this in this thread. 

Thank you in advance to any and all who read my journey and help answer any questions I've asked and will ask.

Edited by NeedHelp01
  • Thanks 1

>What other Dr’s should I put on my radar as I start my research?

Konior, without a doubt.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Do you mind traveling?

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help with retention and enhancement of the native hair?

Hopefully the grafts are not too low on the forehead.  

A lot will depend on your donor and elasticity.  You may also have FUE available, just need to confirm graft numbers.

Gray/white hair is your best friend at this point.

Have you visited with any other doctors? 

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

Do you mind traveling?

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help with retention and enhancement of the native hair?

Hopefully the grafts are not too low on the forehead.  

A lot will depend on your donor and elasticity.  You may also have FUE available, just need to confirm graft numbers.

Gray/white hair is your best friend at this point.

Have you visited with any other doctors? 

Thank you for taking your time to answer 

Do not mind traveling but depends how fat and probably not overseas

No med therapy but open to suggestions.  Hair was basically all gone a long time ago though my crown/back has lost some more recently after being there for 20 years 

Yea no clue abt elasticity but a good doctor will answer that as well as FUE.  Do they FUE the sides? 

Kinda salt and pepper right now but why Gray being my friend?  Seems the gray in back is making my scars noticeable but could just be me

No doctors yet .. just beginning and will be in my future 

1 hour ago, 1978matt said:

>What other Dr’s should I put on my radar as I start my research?

Konior, without a doubt.

Thank you for taking you time to answer my post

I did some research and seems highly qualified. How his repair work re: what I mentioned and his scar revision technique?

1 hour ago, Gasthoerer said:

I feel sorry, for you. Balding su.cks, we all know it. And someone taking advantage of you s.cks even more. But without pics it is hard to help you. 

Thank you for answering Gasthoerer .. I will try to upload some pics over the next few days 

47 minutes ago, NeedHelp01 said:

Thank you for taking you time to answer my post

I did some research and seems highly qualified. How his repair work re: what I mentioned and his scar revision technique?

He can do all those things (items 1 to 4 in your post).  Having a Facial Plastics background it is a walk in the park for him.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Dr. Raymond Konior. Search through the directory on this site with his name as keyword. Look at their website. Chicago Hair Institute. There are many examples of the work that he does including repair and scar work. He is one of the most talented in the business. In addition, he is also one of the most ethical and will guide you in the right direction. As such, he is expensive and the wait time is well over a year. It seems like you waited 25 already so what's one more to have it done right. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

5 hours ago, NeedHelp01 said:

Thank you for taking your time to answer 

Do not mind traveling but depends how fat and probably not overseas

No med therapy but open to suggestions.  Hair was basically all gone a long time ago though my crown/back has lost some more recently after being there for 20 years 

Yea no clue abt elasticity but a good doctor will answer that as well as FUE.  Do they FUE the sides? 

Kinda salt and pepper right now but why Gray being my friend?  Seems the gray in back is making my scars noticeable but could just be me

No doctors yet .. just beginning and will be in my future 

How far is Texas for you?

I would at least try Propecia. Rogaine, laser.  Give it 6 months to a year.  Perhaps there is a lot of miniaturized hair that can be improved.

Yes, the sides are game.

Black hair is the worse when it comes to contrast.  Salt and pepper is not as bad. White/blond is the best.

18 hours ago, LaserCap said:

How far is Texas for you?

I would at least try Propecia. Rogaine, laser.  Give it 6 months to a year.  Perhaps there is a lot of miniaturized hair that can be improved.

Yes, the sides are game.

Black hair is the worse when it comes to contrast.  Salt and pepper is not as bad. White/blond is the best.

Thanks again for participating in this discussion and answering abt my sides..

Since Dr Konior is on my radar now, Texas could be an option.  

23 hours ago, 1978matt said:

He can do all those things (items 1 to 4 in your post).  Having a Facial Plastics background it is a walk in the park for him.

Thanks again Matt.  Spoke to his receptionist and I will be emailing the doc when I get back home this weekend to start the discussion.  I'm assuming I'll do a video consult 1st.   

20 hours ago, ruca2 said:

Dr. Raymond Konior. Search through the directory on this site with his name as keyword. Look at their website. Chicago Hair Institute. There are many examples of the work that he does including repair and scar work. He is one of the most talented in the business. In addition, he is also one of the most ethical and will guide you in the right direction. As such, he is expensive and the wait time is well over a year. It seems like you waited 25 already so what's one more to have it done right. 

Thanks for the input ruca.  Repair work, and all of his work, looks good.  I'm just wondering if I'm f'ed with my scaring in the back as I'm just assuming any donor hair would be used to fill in.  I'm assuming that cutting away scar tissue to make the scars smaller would depend on my scalp elasticity.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, NeedHelp01 said:

Thanks again for participating in this discussion and answering abt my sides..

Since Dr Konior is on my radar now, Texas could be an option.  

If, when it Texas, give Dr. Arocha a shout. At least you'll have a different perspective. I've seen him work on very challenging cases and his website - photo gallery is full of examples of the quality of his work.

• Administrators

You’ve been given some great names. I’ll add hasson and wong, Dr. Gabel, Dr. Mohebi, Dr. Bloxham is in NY so definitely worth a visit. Most definitely True&Dorin as well.

If I’m not mistaken the place you went to in Long Island had a sanitation worker performing surgery- this is why our community is so important. If you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime. Glad you found us were here to help.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/hair-raising-tale-deceit-article-1.176678%3foutputType=amp

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
On 11/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, NeedHelp01 said:

After two consultations with the 'Dr.', I fell for the micro/mini graft, very small scar, full head of hair, etc from this Long Island Medical practice. No internet at the time and I didn’t even know plugs were a thing and as been repeated as I have recently read up on numerous message boards, “You trust a doctor and never would you think they could be so unethical.” This is much different thn a snake oil salesman selling a hairpiece. This is a doctor doing surgery that lasts a lifetime. As a young man I should have understood the supply and demand model and I still kick myself in the ass falling for the full head of hair BS. 

You mean Long Island Medical Associates? Those animals were the worst scum I've ever met. I had my first procedure in 1989 and was wearing a hair system at the time. I was told there would be no difference in density between the hair transplant and the hairpiece. Even their infomercials claimed that you could wear a hairpiece until the transplanted hair grew in enough to match it. I was told there would be no scars. The "consent to operate" is only a half of a page long (I still have it) and does not even mention scars at all. Their booklet/brochure claims that they can double the amount of hair in the donor area, so you can never run out of donor hair to use. They even told me I could pay extra for a guarantee when I asked how they can increase the hair there, which of course I did pay for the guarantee because I knew I'd need more hair in the donor area as my uncles were almost completely bald even on the sides of their heads. I was given an estimate of 2 scalp reductions and 300 grafts and I was basically a NW 6 at the time with almost no hair from front to back with a large bald crown. I had 25 hair trnsplants with them and these monsters would just keep lying every day about how all the hair will grow back in the scars and that there would be no scars once it's done and they kept creating a new scar each time. It wasn't like today where they use the same scar line. Back then a new scar was created for each session. I can't believe how people who are supposed to be Drs can want your money so badly that they will lie to your face while slicing your head apart and do this to everyone on a daily basis for years. On top of that they would have people who were not licensed Drs do the procedures and claim that they were the Dr. and had his own Drs office at the clinic with fake certificates on the wall. They would even answer the phone telling people they were the Dr. I didn't even know that the person who was doing the procedures on me wasn't a Dr until several years after I started having hair transplants with them. I could go on and on about them, but you get the idea.

Sorry. Just the mention of that place burns me up. You have been a bit luckier than I was as you went a few years after I started when they had to start attempting to clan up their act due to the complaints and lawsuits piling up. I know sometime between 1990 and 1994 they changed their consent form to actually include some possibility of scars and other items.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.