In need of 2nd procedure...

Hey gang. I had an FUT (3,750) back in 2010 with Dr Hasson. He mostly did the front and left the back to propecia (which I’ve had to discontinue.) 

I think it’s time for a 2nd procedure to fill it in. Before I progress to discussing with doctors, trying to educate myself a little again on procedures. 

Do you guys think FUE will be enough or would I require another FUT (if possible)?  Propecia isn’t an option for me anymore, sadly. 

My precious FUT scar isn’t bad at all (thanks Dr Hasson) so I’m not opposed to that. Just not sure it’s necessary. 

BFD81F74-F733-489B-B985-33C21662C478.jpeg

F092C2AC-C6D5-4BA6-A037-826C1E54269C.jpeg

My understanding is if you do FUT you will maximize your donor hair. 

So, if you do FUE you may have fewer total hairs to donate for your heads lifetime. I had a FUT and I understand the appeal of doing a FUE second time around, though. 

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

As you already have an FUT scar, of course this is an option for you. Scalp laxity will not only dictate how many grafts may be available but also it will influence your "new" scar if you were to decide upon a second HT procedure. There is no guarantee it will be as fine/good as your current scar. 

Then if in the future you feel the need to FUE into your scar, you may use more grafts in your scar, than you potentially maximised by choosing FUT again.

So many physicians have different approaches and point of views regarding this as FUE has evolved significantly.

Have you considered topical finasteride at a lower dosage? Do you take minoxidil? Personal decision but potentially very important to combat further loss over the long term.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hair looks great and natural and Dr.Hasson did a great job on the front.

Have you tried topical Fin??? - H&W are doing this now for Canadian patients and it seems to have all the benefits of oral fin with none/infinitely lower probabilty of sides (as it goes less systematic than oral fin). I'm presuming you got off Fin because of side issues? Perhaps trying this for a while could be an option to recover crown. Topical Fin is available in Europe from compounding pharmacies in Milan etc.. The full science isn't out yet on it but anecdotally clinics that have partnered with compounding pharmacies are seeing excellent efficacy in patients for which oral fin has presented a problem.

Given emerging NW5 / 6 pattern. My gut for you would be to max out FUT for any further work, start scalp laxity exercises NOW and your FUT2 scar should be the same as you have now - FUT is obviously cheaper with poorer recovery time but it is undoubtedly the most conservative approach and leaves you in better shape for anything up the road that might be required which could be done with FUT/FUE.

Not much has changed since 2010 and Dr.Hasson is STILL in the global ELITE doctor category - you know Top 3 or wherever you want to draw the line.

If i was you I wouldn't be thinking of going anywhere else but back to that clinic. Like others have said Dr.Wong is the king of crowns so some combo of Hasson/Wong will be great.

• Administrators

If you already have a strip scar, it’s a no-brainer. Slightly better growth, cheaper and more grafts, 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, pre-screened said:

Have you tried topical Fin??? - H&W are doing this now for Canadian patients and it seems to have all the benefits of oral fin with none/infinitely lower probabilty of sides (as it goes less systematic than oral fin). I'm presuming you got off Fin because of side issues? Perhaps trying this for a while could be an option to recover crown.

I have never heard of topical fin but am going to look into it. Do you know if there are any sexual side effects? 

51 minutes ago, Dv said:

I have never heard of topical fin but am going to look into it. Do you know if there are any sexual side effects? 

Supposed to be side effect free - or certainly patients who couldn’t tolerate oral fin seem to be able to tolerate topical with no resumption of sides they displayed with oral

Are you North America based? Let us know what options you discover - H&W option I believe is only for Canadian residents

If I was in your situation I'd certainly be leaning towards the FUT route again for all the reasons already stated. I had my first strip procedure over twenty years ago and the scars (yes - plural!) are no nearer causing me any issues now than they were back then.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Thanks Pete. I was leaning towards FUE simply because I like the way my scar has healed and was even hoping to maybe fill some of it in if possible. I was hoping FUE had progressed enough in that time to get similar results. But seems like the technology has not changed much since then. 

If your hair loss is not fast and you don't think you will have progressed more than say NW5 then I think an acceptable approach might be to have FUE this time. 1000 max might do a sufficient job on the crown or maybe 1500 tops. 

The strip area could be avoided so it is left in reserve for a later date if needed. 

Provided the donor area is not excessively thinned out (unlikely with h and w), you should be left in good position afterwards. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day