Dr. Demirsoy Vs Dr. Kaan Pekiner

I feel like I'll probably travel to Turkey next year for a procedure and these are the two doctors that I'm considering using so I'm wondering what the overall impression is regarding these doctors. Does one doctor stand out from the other in your opinion? I know both of them are very ethical doctors and most people should be in good hands regardless of which one they select. In my particular situation I'm looking for a doctor that does good hairline work and can cause the least amount of damage to the donor area (as I'm trying to keep the sides of my hair short after the procedure). Any input given would be appreciated... I've also complied a list of my perceived pros and cons between the two.

Dr Erkan Demirsoy

Pro's:

-Very budget friendly (only 1.25 euro a graft)

-Easy to get to as he's located in Istanbul

-Entire procedure can be done in one day

-Does most of the procedure himself (extraction and incisions and implanting is done by the nurses)

-Only does one patient a day

Con's:

-Does not do dense packing above 40 grafts per cm squared.

-Uses micromotor for extraction (don't know if this is really a con but always was under the impression that manual was better for reducing transection rates and leaving smaller scars on donor area)

Dr Kaan Pekiner

Pro's:

-Does entire procedure himself

-Does dense packing FUE in the range of 50-60 grafts per cm squared

-Uses manual extraction (hopefully leading to lower transection and smaller fue scars)

-Uses stick and place method for inserting grafts

-Seems to have good quality results with hairlines

Con's

-Price is a bit higher than demirsoy (2.15 euro a graft)

-Procedure would have to be completed over the course of two days as extraction is done manually.

-Slightly more difficult to get to as he's located  in Ankara, Turkey.

Edited by bruce90

Yeah I think so too. The only other clinics I think I could consider other than them would be HLC or Dr. Keser. But Dr. Keser however might just be out of my price range and with HLC I don't know for certain which doctor would be doing my procedure which does concern me a bit.

Edited by bruce90

3 hours ago, Uncle drew said:

I mean they are both good doctors but u can’t compare them kaan pekiner is arguably the best doctor in Turkey 

I agree with the first part of your comment but not the last part. There are not enough patient posted results by patients of Dr Pekiner to make such a claim as “arguably the best doctor in Turkey”, I understand you are a patient of his and your progress is looking very good and from the little that is know about him and his work he seems to be an ethical hands-on surgeon...but common, let’s not over-exaggerate or over-praise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

I agree with the first part of your comment but not the last part. There are not enough patient posted results by patients of Dr Pekiner to make such a claim as “arguably the best doctor in Turkey”, I understand you are a patient of his and your progress is looking very good and from the little that is know about him and his work he seems to be an ethical hands-on surgeon...but common, let’s not over-exaggerate or over-praise.

Other forums do exist not just this one..

9 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

He is and has been for some time, very active on foreign language forums. Many results are posted. He is definitely in the top 4, so I don't think this comment is an exaggeration. Turkish quality is comparatively low though. 

Edited by jonnyalex

3 hours ago, jonnyalex said:

He is and has been for some time, very active on foreign language forums. Many results are posted. He is definitely in the top 4, so I don't think this comment is an exaggeration. Turkish quality is comparatively low though. 

Comparatively low? Who would you consider better FUE hairline surgeons than Pekiner or Keser? Or Erdogan for large FUE megasessions? There are few and far between, in terms of hairline surgeons arguably Hasson, also Konior and Freitas among a select few others. There are none that are definitively doing better work.

1 hour ago, JayLDD said:

Comparatively low? Who would you consider better FUE hairline surgeons than Pekiner or Keser? Or Erdogan for large FUE megasessions? There are few and far between, in terms of hairline surgeons arguably Hasson, also Konior and Freitas among a select few others. There are none that are definitively doing better work.

Unfortunately you don't know as much as you think. Although Dr. Keser is a very able surgeon, you talk about how meticulous he is, so you are fully aware he doesn't use microscopes, right? (I know you have no clue). 

My result from him are slowly improving but he has put doubles and triples in and around hairline which is pretty worrying. I think even you can agree with me for once; not using microscopes in 2019 is poor form. 

It is simply impossible to 100% accurately distinguish between singles and multiples by eye.

Edited by jonnyalex

19 minutes ago, jonnyalex said:

Unfortunately you don't know as much as you think. Although Dr. Keser is a very able surgeon, you talk about how meticulous he is, so you are fully aware he doesn't use microscopes, right? (I know you have no clue). 

My result from him are slowly improving but he has put doubles and triples in and around hairline which is pretty worrying. I think even you can agree with me for once; not using microscopes in 2019 is poor form. 

It is simply impossible to 100% accurately distinguish between singles and multiples by eye.

This is why I am glad that I started this thread because this is something I actually didn't know about Dr Keser. I do remember reading a report where someone mentioned that he put some doubles in his frontal hairline so him not using microscopes does give an explanation for why this happened. Do you have a report with your results so far?

4 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

This is why I am glad that I started this thread because this is something I actually didn't know about Dr Keser. I do remember reading a report where someone mentioned that he put some doubles in his frontal hairline so him not using microscopes does give an explanation for why this happened. Do you have a report with your results so far?

Ridiculous Keser is one of the best if not the best, check his results on the forum and other forums..

16 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

It was my stupid fault for assuming that they did. That is on me and is my own fault. 

They simply said to wait for the result. When I asked about the doubles, his rep was very odd and said some people have doubles and triples in their hairlines (naturally). They don't. 

The experience with him was good and he is a very nice man. This is the only negative. I would also say, Ankara is certainly no Istanbul, that's for sure.

I spoke with a H&W rep and they stated these multiples would have to be removed I was to have a final surgery with them.

Edited by jonnyalex

4 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Ridiculous Keser is one of the best if not the best, check his results on the forum and other forums..

Don't disagree with you on that point. Keser definitely is one of the top surgeons in Turkey... but even the best surgeons aren't perfect.

Truthfully even the other guy that had doubles in his frontal hairline still had a great result. He had pretty much 100% growth and still looked much better than he did before. If I had a result like that I would be happy but I get where some people are coming from with having multi-grafts in the frontal hairline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayLDD said:

Every country has good and bad surgeons so I'm not sure why people write these blanket statements. Turkey definitely has some good surgeons. People who complain about bad surgeons from Turkey are generally the ones who haven't done any research or the ones that went bargain shopping.

The only surgeon I would no longer consider from your list is Erdogan... when the Doctor was more involved in the procedure the results were good but I think everyone can agree they've seen a dramatic drop in quality during the last couple of years. 

Edited by bruce90
  • Like 1

Was wondering... does anyone know if Dr Demirsoy gives a report with the amount of singles, doubles, triples and quads transplanted after surgery? After seeing various patient reviews I never see this with Demirsoy but I know Dr Pekiner always has a whiteboard with the different types of graftss when he does his surgery.

Edited by bruce90

1 hour ago, jonnyalex said:

I know he doesn't use microscopes, however it doesn't take a genius to know that there are plenty of surgeons who do use microscopes achieving results well below his standard, I don't think its the be all and end all. I've seen some of his results that have a few multigrafts but even a natural recessed hairline will show a few miniaturised multi-hair groupings, haven't seen a single one where it looked visibly unnatural and he often is dealing with difficult, thicker hairtypes that can look unnatural, but in his case do not. A few doubles is not worrying, a triple might be but even then naturalness is a scale that has to be fairly far off the rails for a member of the general public to notice. I've seen and know plenty of people who if I didn't know for sure would think their hairline looks "unnatural", variability is a thing. I have a few multis in my hairline but I can't see them unless I literally hold my head upto the mirror in bright lighting and stare right at it.

I agree he should probably be using them, but I don't know how that would overall change his process or how much extra work it would be, but I suspect the improvement would be minimal in 95% of cases. I'd definitely be interested to see your case though. For his prices in Turkey he should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonnyalex said:

I have seen surgeons with microscopes produce some of the most unnatural hairlines I have seen, pluggy low density etc, check some of Asmed's latest results,

Keser has been doing FUE's for decades I think he knows what he is doing and doesn't need guys on forums to educate him, all his results are world class, a few grafts with doubles and triples are not the end of the world.. plus you are making it seem like everyone that goes to him end up with this issue, can you single out another patient of him on this forum that complained about the issue you had? 

16 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I have seen surgeons with microscopes produce some of the most unnatural hairlines I have seen, pluggy low density etc, check some of Asmed's latest results,

Keser has been doing FUE's for decades I think he knows what he is doing and doesn't need guys on forums to educate him, all his results are world class, a few grafts with doubles and triples are not the end of the world.. plus you are making it seem like everyone that goes to him end up with this issue, can you single out another patient of him on this forum that complained about the issue you had? 

Jesus Christ dude, I've literally said one negative thing about the guy and have previously sung his praises on multiple occasions. What a bizarre overreaction. Extremely suspicious. There is nowhere which I made it seem that everyone ends up with that issue... What a weird overreaction. You obviously have no idea that I went to Keser to fix a hairline issue from ASMED. Why would I want to point out another patient who complained about him? Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick!

Edited by jonnyalex

Since you guys are already talking about Dr. Keser... who do you think is the best between Keser, Pekiner, and Demirsoy? Do you think it's worth paying the premium for Dr Keser? The only thing I didn't like about Dr. Keser is he tends to use larger punches for extracting grafts than the other two surgeons. 

25 minutes ago, jonnyalex said:

Jesus Christ dude, I've literally said one negative thing about the guy and have previously sung his praises on multiple occasions. What a bizarre overreaction. Extremely suspicious. There is nowhere which I made it seem that everyone ends up with that issue... What a weird overreaction. You obviously have no idea that I went to Keser to fix a hairline issue from ASMED. Why would I want to point out another patient who complained about him? Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick!

Good for you, best of luck in your journey

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

Since you guys are already talking about Dr. Keser... who do you think is the best between Keser, Pekiner, and Demirsoy? Do you think it's worth paying the premium for Dr Keser? The only thing I didn't like about Dr. Keser is he tends to use larger punches for extracting grafts than the other two surgeons. 

Keser uses a large punch? next thing you will read on this forum is how Dr Demirsoy uses a motorized punch and how you should avoid him because a motorized punch tends to leave bigger scars than a manual punch etc I have read some ridiculous things on the internet but nothing comes close to some of the things I am reading on this one..

31 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Keser uses a large punch? next thing you will read on this forum is how Dr Demirsoy uses a motorized punch and how you should avoid him because a motorized punch tends to leave bigger scars than a manual punch etc I have read some ridiculous things on the internet but nothing comes close to some of the things I am reading on this one..

Dude I have no clue why you're getting so defensive for? Can you tell me what size punch keser uses then? Because I've spoken to the patient advisers of all three clinics and yes Keser on average tends to use a larger punch size for extractions. It's just a simple fact... not sure why you think that's "ridiculous". 

20 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

Dude I have no clue why you're getting so defensive for? Can you tell me what size punch keser uses then? Because I've spoken to the patient advisers of all three clinics and yes Keser on average tends to use a larger punch size for extractions. It's just a simple fact... not sure why you think that's "ridiculous". 

Are we really talking about punch sizes? good luck in your journey man

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Are we really talking about punch sizes? good luck in your journey man

Apparently comparing doctors and their differences is triggering to you so I'll leave it at that. Maybe punch size isn't important to you but other people may feel indifferent... It's okay to have a discussion... that's why this forum was created (atleast I thought so).

3 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

Apparently comparing doctors and their differences is triggering to you so I'll leave it at that. Maybe punch size isn't important to you but other people may feel indifferent... It's okay to have a discussion... that's why this forum was created (atleast I thought so).

Because it's ridiculous how people draw conclusions on punch sizes or manual punch vs motorized punch, at the end of the day it's about the track record of that surgeon and their results, picking a surgeon with the smallest punch doesn't mean your results are going be out of this world.