FUT vs. FUE

When I first started checking this forum 10 years ago, FUE had high transection rates, meaning you would lose 10% of donors. That was the big sell for FUT.  

I understand that now most surgeons say the transection rate for FUE and FUT is the same. 

1. So what are the current advantages to FUT besides being cheaper?

2. Is it currently believed you can get more total donors by first maxing out on FUT before maxing out on FUE? (They were saying that too 10 years ago.) 

I honestly don't believe the transection rate is the same.  I do believe FUT follicles are far more robust.

Most believe you should take advantage of whatever elasticity you have and maximize FUT.  Once out, go to FUE. You could actually consider FUE grafts on the scar to camouflage at that point.

I believe much of this will depend on a number of factors including medical therapy.  This is an imperative component and it will play a direct role on the decision.

I think the biggest sell for FUE was "no scar," which is not true.  You'll have a scar but it is not linear. And, depending on the size of the punch, the scars will be virtually undetectable.

High transection rates still happen today, particularly with robotic systems and/or with practitioners with little to no experience.

I won't even enter the transection discussion.  FUT is just easier to disguise.  Shaving the donor area for FUE is a PITA for people who hate short hair.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

5 hours ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

For the records this is opinions I have received from doctors when speaking about this when discussing strip.

Can MPB disclose the names of the doctors that opined that more grafts survive under FUT than under FUE? I myself would not rely upon logic, but would rely upon a doctor's opinion, even if the opinion is based merely on anecdotal evidence. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, olmert said:

Does MPBsucks4545 have any citation or evidence that, when the transection rate is the same, more FUT grafts survive than FUE grafts? 

Hasson and Wong one of the biggest clinics in the world have stated that their transection is equal for both FUE and Strip. The biggest benefit to strip is the amount of grafts that can be safely harvested in one session. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.