stress and sides of hair thinning?

champybaby

I've been going through a very stressful hurdle as of late and recently. The stress started about 3 months ago. Within the last 1.5 months, I've noticed that the sides of my hair are not growing on par with the back side of my hair; the sides also look thinner. This seemed to occur almost immediately and very aggressively. I've noticed increased shedding, enough that it was more than usual, and I can see the "bulbs" at the bottom of the hair strands. idk what that means, but I've seen people bring up the bulbs. (Edit: fwiw, the shedding has since slowed down significantly as of about a week ago)

I've been on propecia + rogaine for nearly six or seven years. Had a FUT transplant done by Dr. Konior around the same time I started taking meds. 

Does anyone have any insight on this? The stress is legit and I don't want to share what's causing it, but not sick or anything. Just going through a tough time and I'm near the end of it. And fwiw, I'm seeing Dr. K again in about two weeks for consultation for my second procedure, so I'm sure he'll have some insight, too, but this is just unusual given how aggressive it's been. Thanks. 

Edited by champybaby

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

Stress is not the cause...but it can prompt the hair to go away sooner.  Now let me ask you....why are you stressing? I know it's difficult not to...but,

Think about what happened 3 months ago. Could you have done anything to prevent it? Unlikely.  So don't worry about it, tomorrow is always a better day.

Let me give you an example...My son was involved in an accident when he was 18.  Called me right after and I realized he was shaken up.."Dad, I had an accident...the car...."  "Are you alright?" I asked. "The car!" Forget the car. That can be fixed. And, can you do anything about it right now?" NO.  OK then....and that was the end of that. 

Glad you are on meds.  Continue taking them.  

If we stress over all that comes away, we all will be without hair in a short time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, LaserCap said:

Stress is not the cause...but it can prompt the hair to go away sooner.  Now let me ask you....why are you stressing? I know it's difficult not to...but,

Think about what happened 3 months ago. Could you have done anything to prevent it? Unlikely.  So don't worry about it, tomorrow is always a better day.

Let me give you an example...My son was involved in an accident when he was 18.  Called me right after and I realized he was shaken up.."Dad, I had an accident...the car...."  "Are you alright?" I asked. "The car!" Forget the car. That can be fixed. And, can you do anything about it right now?" NO.  OK then....and that was the end of that. 

Glad you are on meds.  Continue taking them.  

If we stress over all that comes away, we all will be without hair in a short time.

you are such a nice lad, i enjoy reading your replies for real :)

• Like 1

Thanks....I've had help along the way...been the poorest man of earth and also the richest in so many ways.  I know far less now than ever....and funny how we can always learn something else.  I am now learning Chinese.  Fascinating.

So many people need help out there.  It's almost like a crusade.  It does not cost anything to be nice to people....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, champybaby said:

Just an update re: this echo chamber: My hair did start growing back. It was very thin on sides but has since returned to what it used to be. fwiw. 

That’s good to hear. So do you think it was stress related? Do you have pics showing the difference?

19 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

That’s good to hear. So do you think it was stress related? Do you have pics showing the difference?

A bit lazy to post pics of the side, but if you're suffering from this/wondering about it, I will. 

IDK any other way to put it, but legit went through a really challenging time. I've gotten over the hill, and I'm going to be 100% fine, but was hardest thing of my life. And fwiw, recently met with Dr. Konior for booking my second procedure; he said donor area was "excellent." 

Some people asked for pics in PM so here ya go. Taken with iPhone 8; images like 5 or 8 mbs. Lighting was very bright and directly on both the left and right side of my head. Light bulbs were also uncovered. fwiw (some people do some trickery around here). Image taken legit after I rolled out of bed, hence the messy look. I used to be bald AF (see post history) fwiw. 

Background: I had one FUT that yielded about 4400 grafts seven years ago and you can still see strip scar a bit as a result. 

There was an event that prompted signifiant stress that was traumatic. That occurred about 4.5 months ago. More than usual shedding began about 2 months after that event. The back and sides began looking significantly thinner. Image was taken 4.5 months from that event. It was a traumatic event, or hardest challenge of life but I've since gotten over the hill (fwiw). Saw sides starting to* return to normal a few weeks ago.  

sides.jpg

Edited by champybaby