Got scars from first fue will 2nd be the same

I got 2.9k fue grahps from dr diep. Been near two years now. He used 1mm punch supposedly and left pretty noticable scars. I would like to get a second ht as the first was imo is like 3.5 on scale of 1 worst 10 best. 

My major concern is more of the same scaring. Have anyone of you had experience where your first ht got noticable scars but the 2nd didn't?

Like if I go to asmed and get non motorized Manuel .7 extractions for round 2 compared to dieps 1mm drill extractions. 

I would like to hear from ppl that personally had a second fue from a different doctor that used different size punch or motor non motor tool and if their scars came out any different or of it's mostly just your way ur body heals and came out the same even with different sizes.

Thanks for the insight

Edited by BlessUp

Hi @BlessUpI had the same experience as you.  I did a first transplant in 2016 and it was a disaster, but because at the time I relied on a pseudo-clinic in Istanbul that caused damage to the donor area and also to the recipient, I don't know what they used to practice the incisions on my head,  maybe a chisel and a hammer.  Choose the clinic well by viewing the forum (not the sites, because they are built by them and publish only successful results) and not be in a hurry.  The scars, if the extractions are done well, will not be seen.

This is the exact same thing I'm trying to avoid for my first procedure. From what I've been told generally the skill of the surgeon and smaller punch sizes will lead to smaller or less noticeable scars in donor area. 1mm is pretty big punch for extractions... most doctors tend to use smaller punches than that. I've been told on this forum that micromoter vs manual shouldn't make a difference but I think manual has a much better chance of doing less damage (less rotations to extract grafts and no excess heat coming from the tool).

I would say stick to manual extraction method and .8mm punch size or lower and you should have less noticeable scars in the second procedure. Some of it does come down to the patient physiology though and how they heal as well. Some peoples scalp and skin just heal better and show less scarring but reducing punch size for your second procedure should make a difference.

Edited by bruce90

9 minutes ago, bruce90 said:

This is the exact same thing I'm trying to avoid for my first procedure. From what I've been told generally the skill of the surgeon and smaller punch sizes will lead to smaller or less noticeable scars in donor area. 1mm is pretty big punch for extractions... most doctors tend to use smaller punches than that. I've been told on this forum that micromoter vs manual shouldn't make a difference but I think manual has a much better chance of doing less damage (less rotations to extract grafts and no excess heat coming from the tool).

I would say stick to manual extraction method and .8mm punch size or lower and you should have less noticeable scars in the second procedure. Some of it does come down to the patient physiology though and how they heal as well. Some peoples scalp and skin just heal better and show less scarring but reducing punch size for your second procedure should make a difference.

absolutely right 👍

the only thing I don't agree with is that there is so much difference between manual and motorized punch.

Edited by Giastro

• Administrators

You will get scars regardless from .7 or 1mm punches. There’s no scarless procedure. However, they may be less visible. But don’t expect to walk away with zero scarring. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @ Melvin-moderator I know I can’t correct you, since the climax of your experience I couldn’t afford to do it and I would never do it, but I would call them "white spots"the word scar might scare you because with that word you can mean something bigger and more flashy, while if the FUE is well made the white spots are almost invisible to the eyes of the uninitiated regarding hair transplantation.

Edited by Giastro

The problem with larger punches and doctors that are not skilled at extracting FUE grafts is that they kill grafts adjacent to the grafts they are extracting, donor damage.  If I were you I would get in line and have Konior do your next transplant. 

I mean the white dots on side of my head are absolutely noticable even at a 2 guard unfortunately. It's not like I'm trying to get a skin fade. I mean I would take the scars if I got a homerun on the top but that wasnt the case.

I rarely see a bad donor from asmed or hasson\wong and they go smaller.

The doctors will play it off two ways. One being they need a 1mm punch because ur hair is thicker or it has a slight wavy so a bigger punch will increase yeild.

Or they say hey its ur body look at this other patient he has 1mm punch and no dots. Except for the fact that they have different skin tone hair color.

So anyone else out their have first hand exp for the problem I'm concerned about.  Getting ur second ht produced far less scarring than the first.

Edited by BlessUp