Can SMP Really Be Undetectable???

When SMP is done properly, no one should be asking what you had done to your head. Many of our clients actually report that their close family members (yes, even their own mothers) either have no idea they had the procedure done, or ask why they don't grow their hair out. Well, guess what mom.... It's not hair.....it's Ahead Ink! 

leightonfront.jpg

leightonright.jpg

leighton;eft.jpg

Edited by hairthere
  • Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The best cases of course occurs when people still have some native hair, so the pigment will blend better and the final results will be darker, this is the perfect treatment for a diffuse thinner, what would you think of a very low density hair transplant with like 20-25 grafts in the hairline and midscalp to have a thicker, better and more realistic hairline and even less grafts  for the crown zone like 15 grafts/cm^2 ? Would it give the illusion of a darker head? And also, the fastidious shine would go away I guess or at least reduce, that's the annoying thing about SMP, when you are below harsh light, the shiness is noticeable without hair... So a person could potentially have a 4000-4500-5000 grafts all over the head, let the hair  grow 2-3 mm and have a better illusion and a darker head that would appear an hairy head even with harsh light and the night, what's your thought on this? 

Edited by alexXx999

6 hours ago, alexXx999 said:

The best cases of course occurs when people still have some native hair, so the pigment will blend better and the final results will be darker, this is the perfect treatment for a diffuse thinner, what would you think of a very low density hair transplant with like 20-25 grafts in the hairline and midscalp to have a thicker, better and more realistic hairline and even less grafts  for the crown zone like 15 grafts/cm^2 ? Would it give the illusion of a darker head? And also, the fastidious shine would go away I guess or at least reduce, that's the annoying thing about SMP, when you are below harsh light, the shiness is noticeable without hair... So a person could potentially have a 4000-4500-5000 grafts all over the head, let the hair  grow 2-3 mm and have a better illusion and a darker head that would appear an hairy head even with harsh light and the night, what's your thought on this? 

It's actually tougher to pull SMP off when there is more native hair in my opinion. You have to be very meticulous about matching the SMP with existing hair and know how to deliver proper density so it all blends seamlessly. Regarding your last statement, the one caveat is that transplants always have a downside and that's the creation of scar tissue. Recipient scar tissue can sometimes be problematic when performing SMP, especially when the work is not modern and highly refined (i.e. performed by a top surgeon). And then there's the donor zone. I cannot tell you how many clients I see who were given the impression that FUE is a "scar-free" or "scar-less" procedure. While the dot scarring may be less obvious than a linear strip scar it can still be noticeable on a shaved head. And if over harvested it can be a total disaster.

Regarding the shine issue; certain lighting situations cause shine off a person's scalp whether they have hair or not. I often hear this complaint and it's usually when clients see themselves in pictures. But I often tell clients, you don't live your life in pictures, so don't sweat it! I also notice that clients with oily skin types tend to have more issues with shine. There are products (matte lotions, etc.) that help mitigate shine if it is a real problem.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

On 10/31/2019 at 1:46 PM, hairthere said:

It's actually tougher to pull SMP off when there is more native hair in my opinion. You have to be very meticulous about matching the SMP with existing hair and know how to deliver proper density so it all blends seamlessly. Regarding your last statement, the one caveat is that transplants always have a downside and that's the creation of scar tissue. Recipient scar tissue can sometimes be problematic when performing SMP, especially when the work is not modern and highly refined (i.e. performed by a top surgeon). And then there's the donor zone. I cannot tell you how many clients I see who were given the impression that FUE is a "scar-free" or "scar-less" procedure. While the dot scarring may be less obvious than a linear strip scar it can still be noticeable on a shaved head. And if over harvested it can be a total disaster.

Regarding the shine issue; certain lighting situations cause shine off a person's scalp whether they have hair or not. I often hear this complaint and it's usually when clients see themselves in pictures. But I often tell clients, you don't live your life in pictures, so don't sweat it! I also notice that clients with oily skin types tend to have more issues with shine. There are products (matte lotions, etc.) that help mitigate shine if it is a real problem.

Assuming you go with a top tier surgeon, would it avoid the big noticeable scarring? Assuming you're going with a small punch and an experienced surgeon with a not enorumus amount of grafts (3-4 k) maybe done in 2 sessions, wouldn't it work to replicate the result of this guy? OK the look will be much thinner but also that mm or two of hair make the difference Imo, and also, should the donor area scarring be a problem for a shaved head? I mean, with SMP what's the problem in hiding the scars? The best results could be obtained Imo if you cut very short the sides (everyday at the bone) and you leave 1-2 to max 3 mm on the top, although I know that filling the tiny dots with the ink could be more difficoult than regular skin... Also the ridging of the scalp on the top is scary... So you don't advice to go for an hair transplant in short 

If your goal is to go for a shaved head look then I definitely do not recommend going for a HT. And I can show you countless pictures of clients with obvious dot scars to illustrate why. Yes, the SMP can help disguise the scars, but why create an unnecessary problem that you then have to fix? Also I do often see transplanted clients with a "ridging of the scalp" in the hairline that is noticeable even with the SMP in front of it. I'm not trying to poo-poo HTs either (I've had several of them myself and it looks great). But I believe they are best suited for people who want longer hair styles. 

Edited by hairthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:44 PM, hairthere said:

When SMP is done properly, no one should be asking what you had done to your head. Many of our clients actually report that their close family members (yes, even their own mothers) either have no idea they had the procedure done, or ask why they don't grow their hair out. Well, guess what mom.... It's not hair.....it's Ahead Ink! 

leightonfront.jpg

leightonright.jpg

leighton;eft.jpg

That looks excellent. Thank God for SMP!

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Valued Contributor

SMP looks great at about the one - two week mark after the final session and remains that way for sometime. If you keep your scalp shaved every second day then you reduce the contrast between the ink and the shaved native growing hair. Also to slow the speed of fading always wear a cap in Summer to prevent the sun from bleaching the ink. Ultimately the liver continues to try and break the ink down as it is a foreign body in your dermis. As SMP is 2D it is never fool proof and undetectable (especially over time). The success in SMP however is in how good the artist is who performs it in mimicking shaved hair folicles and the fact that people are not looking for SMP when they see you. In fact most people are confused just by the look of your head shaved. All of my friends love it and have said I look ten years younger. I've had people who had no idea I've had SMP until I told them, to a girl in a bar standing next to me under bright lights telling me that I've had a head tattoo. Finally, the ultimate disguise is in your attitude. If you like the look then who gives a f@$k. All the best!  

• 2 months later...

Hey, that's some great looking SMP! To answer your question, the outcome depends on the professional who did the procedure. I've seen SMP that's really undetectable and I've seen some that are worst. Research the clinics/professionals before proceeding in getting one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gatsby,

You have a pretty solid understanding of SMP at this point. In fact you're probably more knowledgeable than many practitioners. Glad to see you found a good artist and that you're happy with the results!

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2020 at 7:48 AM, hairthere said:

Gatsby,

You have a pretty solid understanding of SMP at this point. In fact you're probably more knowledgeable than many practitioners. Glad to see you found a good artist and that you're happy with the results!

Could you check my post here: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/59595-smp-for-thickening-effect-diffuse-thinning-hair-and-create-density/   about when the person has hairs but it's diffusing