Discontinuing Minoxidil after Hair Transplant

wasteyute

I've been on minoxidil for about a year and a half, and it's worked, just not as much as I'd hoped... which is why I'm looking to schedule a hair transplant soon.

I'm seeing mixed things online about the use of Minoxidil following a hair transplant. A clinic in Istanbul recently told me I can't use minoxidil for 5 months after the transplant. Well, my question to that would be.. wouldn't the hairs dependent on minoxidil for the past year and a half fall out? Apparently all your minoxidil sheds ~3-6 months after discontinuing minoxidil. At the same time, I see some posts online (even from Doctors) encouraging the use of minoxidil after transplant to prevent shock loss.

What should I do here? Should I wait another 5 months and schedule after the shedding post-minoxidil, or can I use it sooner than 5 months?

What is the clinics explanation regarding not using minoxidil for 5 months post op? Do they have patients who have had negative experiences doing so?

Most clinics seem to recommend using minoxidil 15 days post op, some Doctors seem a little more cautious.

Oral minoxidil can be continued throughout the hair transplant process without pause.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

It is my understanding Rogaine is a visodilator.  It is suggested it is stopped 3-7 days prior to procedure so you minimize the bleeding during a procedure.  It is also recommended you refrain from using for a 7-10 days post op.  

Wasteyute - if you "saw" the medication work, I would assume you saw enhancement of the hair. This means you are 1 of only a small percentage of patients enjoying this benefit.  I would encourage you to continue its use. The medication is intended to retain hair.  Do not stop otherwise you'll lose all the benefit.

• Administrators

I definitely wouldn't stop especially if it's working. I don't see any scientific reasoning for quitting minoxidil for 5 months after surgery. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 minutes ago, wasteyute said:

even in my opinion you should avoid using it, maybe not for 5 months after the transplant but for 3 yes.

Edited by Giastro

• Administrators
2 hours ago, wasteyute said:

The message I had got was:

That doesn't make any sense. I guess follow what your clinic rules say, but clinical literature clearly show that minoxidil help follicles stay in the anagen growth phase. Minoxidil doesn't harm hair. I don't believe that pomades harm hair either.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Its quite common to hear physicians recommend that you should avoid harsh chemicals post op, as your transplanted hair is transitioning through various stages and therefore it is preferential to create the best environment for the hair and scalp. Homeostasis. Therefore avoiding colouring dyes and other "heavy" products for example. I would suggest that it is a small sacrifice with the ultimate goal being the best result possible.

Having said that, these aggressive products do not offer any positive effects in regards to assisting in the strengthening of hair and hair regrowth. Therefore it makes sense that minoxidil should be considered differently.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.