Clinic recommended from here. Donor looks overharvested, or shock loss?

I’m not too sure about that. I just assumed that overharvesting would never be an issue I would encounter at this clinic, it’s why I chose to go there. It never crossed my mind. 

If the donor looks better in a few months I will have nothing but good things to say about my experience there. But I just don’t know; have many doubts. 

14 minutes ago, Szotz_257 said:

Yup, exactly as I suspected. Do you know whether they have always been using motorized, or have they used manual punch in the past?

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

I personally think this will improve over time!

But, clearly you can see that no feathering was done and especially at the corners directly adjacent grafts were harvested.

This has nth to do with the extraction tool, but with care.

Yep I would have expected more care taken by the supporting doctor. Rushed it and jsut gotta hope my scalp isn’t destroyed permanently now. If I was to do extractions today for the first time in my life, even I would know not to do that. 

Only time will tell so we look forward to your progress pics in the future.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

What does the clinic say in regards to the shock loss? This is a eugenix case, no?

Yes. They said I need to wait and should not worry.

I have not seen a donor zone like mine from the other patients posted on here which is why I feel alarmed, then I read online that shock loss is very rare (in donor especially) and seeing some of the extraction patterns at the bottom of the donor zone; side by side. Those areas are very bald looking now. 

But hopefully I just have some bad shock loss.

maybe I should try Minox there actually.  

So the supporting doctor was new at doing extractions?...it appears that way.

I wonder how many cases he has done before yours or possibly you were his first case?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, soontransplanted said:

then I read online that shock loss is very rare (in donor especially)

Where did you read that?  To me it doesn't appear, even in my transplant I suffered a shock loss in the donor area above the ears, the clinic told me to use minoxidil twice a day, surely yours is a little more extended, but you just have to  wait.

• Administrators
On 12/5/2019 at 3:42 AM, soontransplanted said:

Yes. They said I need to wait and should not worry.

I have not seen a donor zone like mine from the other patients posted on here which is why I feel alarmed, then I read online that shock loss is very rare (in donor especially) and seeing some of the extraction patterns at the bottom of the donor zone; side by side. Those areas are very bald looking now. 

But hopefully I just have some bad shock loss.

maybe I should try Minox there actually.  

There is actually another patient with a donor zone almost identical to you on this forum. This clinic is actually known for having pristine looking donor areas too. The fact is that it can happen. Also, the clinic only uses manual FUE and not motorized FUE. The reason why I say this is because some patients are under the impression that motorized damages more than manual. This is not true. 

What people need to realize is that you have around 10% of your hair in the telogen phase at any given time, even when you have surgery. When you experience donor area shock loss, not only do you still have 10% of your hair dormant, now you have a large number of follicles that enter the dormant phase too, which can make your hair look a lot worse. Hair follicles are independent, which means they enter the anagen growth phase at different times. That's why it can take a while for your hair to improve, but I do think it will improve. In the event that it doesn't I will contact the clinic on your behalf. We are for the patients.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, soontransplanted said:

then I read online that shock loss is very rare (in donor especially)

I've seen other people referring to donor shock loss being rare. I don't know if there any staistics in this regard , but I'd guess it's far more prevalent than people think.

I had shock loss from my strip procedure which I was pretty worried about at the time , but resolved itself fine, I've also seen some serious looking examples of shock loss that you would think would never resolve , but they did .

Hopefully , this is just temporary shock loss that will resolve in the coming months .

It certainly is not as prevalent in the donor as compared to the recipient zone where there is usually more weak native hair subject to shock loss.

And I also agree that it appears temporary and should grow back in time.

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

Hi @Tentpole91

Photos taken today, the surgery was completed 5.5 months ago.

Yesterday, I quickly shaved the back and sides of my head at home, nut not the top, as I prefer this cut my whole life. It's not a professional cut.

Well.. things are not looking the way I want from the donor zone at this point..

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

I'm sorry to tell you @soontransplanted at 5 and a half months, the shock loss should have come back, but it did not happen, unfortunately this is over haversted, the situation will improve a little, but the signs will remain evident.  This is only my opinion.

• Administrators

It’s improving no doubt, but it’s not there yet. Please keep us updated on your progress. It may take a few more months. We’re here for you man 🙏🏼 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would be interested to see how the area looks at 12 months post-op.

Gillenator

@gillenator I would be wrong, at 12 months, the donor area will certainly be improved, but the signs will remain visible, in my first transplant I underwent a Over haversted therefore I unfortunately recognize this anti-aesthetic effect.

Thanks all for the replies.

I do expect the donor to look different to before the HT, as of course thousands of grafts have been taken and moved to the top of my head. 
So perhaps I am expecting too much and too soon, it definitely is improving month on month; I clearly did have some shock loss before that’s is getting better now. 

i would be happy for my donor to get to that point where it’s not so obvious I had a hair transplant of course I accept my donor will be less hairy than before  

i am going to share some photos of my hairline before and after surgery, because this new hairline has given me a lot of confidence, despite my concerns about the donor, my new hairline has changed my life to be honest  

Overall I’m very pleased with the hairline and temples work, which looks natural and has changed my face j think, I want to emphasise the positives and not just my anxieties about the donor,

i am speaking with the clinic and Dr Sethi regularly. I am going to stay patient, we may decide to do something to help fill in the donor  

Before surgery:

67EE766D-6935-44F5-86DB-3623BBDB22A9.thumb.png.8a606f8902ebb7c40aca682eb86b132a.png

009EF12B-E2A1-4BFA-85BF-F25CFF732163.thumb.png.931fcdf22f66a9703133dde01dc1b3d6.png

Today, 5.5 months after FEF12014-5600-47CE-92B4-D855545BFC13.thumb.jpeg.f925a880e90b8c6f9964577b85ab27e0.jpeg

C8A33205-A341-49F1-A993-F05ED2232679.png

Edited by soontransplanted