Clinic recommended from here. Donor looks overharvested, or shock loss?

Hi all

i had a HT just over a month ago from a clinic officially recommended by this website. I had approx 3900 grafts over the space of two days. Their results looks consistently good on this forum. At this point I will not be posting the clinic name, this is my choice, as they’ve been very good to me and I want to give it time to know for sure if this has been botched  I will maybe post a genuine review some months down the line  

Let me start by saying the hairline is looking great; I’m in the ugly duckling phase but, hey, that is normal and I’m not concerned. 

My donor zone; however; is causing me immense stress. Yes, of course I am in contact with the clinic, but it gets to a point that I have decided I need unbiased opinions and support. I have been reluctant to post here until now. Please do your best to be honest but not make me feel more anxious or worse than I already am. Would appreciate it. 

Attached are pics of the extraction zones day of and day after surgery. 

Then I have attached pics of what looks like an overharvested OR shock loss donor zone taken recently and within the last couple of weeks. Any opinions would be welcome. 

Thank you to any brothers in this community who take the time to reply. 

B7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.thumb.jpeg.a6b08a900a5ef1a082f785cd931fec4e.jpegB7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.thumb.jpeg.a6b08a900a5ef1a082f785cd931fec4e.jpegB7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.thumb.jpeg.a6b08a900a5ef1a082f785cd931fec4e.jpegB7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.thumb.jpeg.a6b08a900a5ef1a082f785cd931fec4e.jpegB7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.thumb.jpeg.a6b08a900a5ef1a082f785cd931fec4e.jpeg57DB570F-1FCA-493C-8928-3F2D10C1D7EB.thumb.jpeg.c340c5d440ae4470369ddc42e59ccb99.jpegHey all

B7602514-DEC5-4C5C-8E38-57C95559202A.jpeg

F86F0840-1DE0-4E3B-80F0-DEBC7369AF51.jpeg

301D8BB2-C09B-4347-8B0A-B1A15F6318A5.jpeg

086EF80D-8D35-4158-9F06-2B5B40FD8E95.jpeg

23797FCD-86E6-4DF7-B557-C5822AC60060.jpeg

56AE05B7-2747-4C29-B3F6-8B534FB91A7A.jpeg

080C7436-1F4C-4492-B4E8-0F64FD631024.jpeg

9AE45F5D-6A73-40EB-AC76-C03DD1CC39F3.jpeg

FA82DBF7-FC00-461B-9B7B-61D5D66D1E8F.jpeg

459CBB1A-FC71-4471-A80A-ECA58F774391.jpeg

C26D97CC-EA1F-4E64-B2DA-59F3AF607997.jpeg

57DB570F-1FCA-493C-8928-3F2D10C1D7EB.jpeg

B0DF0EED-CC98-42DA-8898-2E9882B09532.jpeg

A40CAA1F-C7E5-435F-BA9E-F6D06CF8F535.jpeg

Edited by soontransplanted

There does appear to be some shock loss going imo. You are still very early in the journey tbh and at this point I'd suggest you try not to worry too much. Come across a number of cases where the donor areas 1-3 months post op don't look so great but after a couple of months things generally improve. 

Agree with Gasthoerer it would be good to see before pictures of your donor. What did the clinic say with regards to your donor hair? Also do you know what sized punch was used?

• Like 1

Hi

From looking at your photos, in my honest opinion the extraction zone could have been better spread out...but it looks fine, and you’ve suffered some shock loss but it looks to be recovering well in the more recent photos, I wouldn’t be too concerned with it, it just needs more time.

• Like 1

yes, even in my opinion you have suffered a shock loss that is coming back, let's say from someone who intends to over haversting , I have suffered unfortunately 3 years ago from a pseudo-clinic in Turkey.

• Like 1

Hi

im currently just shy of 3 months into my procedure and I had a very similar looking donor area at that stage.. I was very worried about mine and suffered from shock loss.. 3 months in however it is really starting to recover well now.. everything will turn out ok mate 👍👍

• Like 1

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Leath123 said:

Hi

im currently just shy of 3 months into my procedure and I had a very similar looking donor area at that stage.. I was very worried about mine and suffered from shock loss.. 3 months in however it is really starting to recover well now.. everything will turn out ok mate 👍👍

Great post do you mind sharing some pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree...the larger punches along with the high number of extractions will induce a fair amount of trauma to the scalp.

And shock loss typically sets in from 2-4 weeks post-op and I also concur that there is some going on.

And like others have said, the area will undoubtedly look much better in several months.

We would be happy to give you more feedback with your updated photos in 3 months?

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
  • Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Very helpful!

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your concern, but keep in mind that temporary shock loss is going through the same hair cycling as the transplanted hair. This means that when your transplanted hair begins to grow is when the donor area shocked out hair begins to grow in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

I understand your concern, but keep in mind that temporary shock loss is going through the same hair cycling as the transplanted hair. This means that when your transplanted hair begins to grow is when the donor area shocked out hair begins to grow in.

Exactly

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Honestly, I do not like the extraction pattern. It shows no feathering at the sides of the extraction zone. Actually, the boundary zones show some extractions directly next to each other.

BUT: I still second the opinion that it will improve and in the end, you will much better. Nevertheless, there seems to be some minor areas which small infections. You should show this to a medical doctor (if there is no support from your clinic). 

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Honestly, I do not like the extraction pattern. It shows no feathering at the sides of the extraction zone. Actually, the boundary zones show some extractions directly next to each other.

BUT: I still second the opinion that it will improve and in the end, you will much better. Nevertheless, there seems to be some minor areas which small infections. You should show this to a medical doctor (if there is no support from your clinic). 

Truth is I see that too, I agree. Just gotta hope in a few months it’s not a big deal. 

Re. The acne - this is already clearing up. I think it’s just a little bit of acne triggered from the surgery and I aggravated it more by touching. . 

• Administrators

You need to stop shaving, it only makes the shock loss look worse. Honestly, you need to just let it grow. Shaving your hair when it already looks bad, is like putting glitter on a pimple.

View my thread

If im being honest, There is no gaurantee if the halo will remain or not by month 12.  I got a very similar pattern and it was due to extraction pattern.  Mine never fully repaired and i got this bullshit rectangular halo cut out continuing years later.  You will know for sure by month 8-9 of where this is headed.  I really am frustrated but hoping there is a way out this mess.  

i wish you the best, but youll have to wait till 8-9 month to guage healing and regrowth.  

I already notice an improvement...and it will continue to improve IMHO.

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been 11 weeks since my HT, so approx 2 and a half months. 

Below are photos of my scary looking donor area taken today.

The clinic was Eugenix in Delhi. Extractions were not done by Dr Sethi or Dr Bansal, but by a supporting doctor. I was told before surgery some beard follicles would be taken but the supporting doctor must have decided not to do that mid surgery, so all grafts taken from my scalp.

Dr sethi did the hairline and temples and that I’m happy with, but how can I be pleased with my overall results when my donor looks like this? I’m 26 and this was supposed boost my self image, not make it worse :(

Everytime I look at the photos of the extraction patterns taken on the day of surgery my anxiety goes through the roof. I don’t know what to do. How long can I wait and pretend everything will get better? I’m not convinced at all at this point  

What should I do guys :(

23E57E09-54C4-4500-BDF8-F55F22CB8426.jpeg

F0ACCB91-F507-4B49-ABA7-8978031C11C5.jpeg

0BB2F13C-C061-4568-985B-42162B9E0AA2.jpeg

D64B75C5-C04D-4E1E-80A9-CBB466658BEC.jpeg

FF2B7ECC-C71C-43CC-9CF9-16ACC4789B37.jpeg

Edited by soontransplanted

• Administrators

It's improving, but you still have some time for things to continue to improve. At this point, theres nothing you can do but wait. I would say a minimum of 6 months, before shock loss would return and subside. At that time, If things do not improve, I will send Dr. Sethi and Bansal an email for their public response on this issue. At the moment, all you can do is wait, and grow the hair out a bit.

View my thread