Folks who had HT - how obsessed are you with your hair now?

A little about me, I was slowly balding for a few years till a few years ago I decided to shave down my hair, added a bit of SMP on the temple area to give it a fuller look and I was good with that look.

Recently I am debating with myself to get a FUE as I do sometime miss having hair.

One thing that concern me is one of the biggest pluses of shaving my hair was that I was no longer constantly obsessed with it,  always having to style in certain ways so it will look good, using concealers, worrying how it looks under different lighting, can't get it wet in the rain,  worrying f the wind moves it, etc etc, you get the point.

so the last thing I want is having that anxiety creeping back into my life after i will get HT done.

my question to the guys who had HT done, how bother/obsessed are you with your hair now? do you just go about your life or do you constantly checking to see if it looks good, worrying to get it wet, or people touching your hair and messing it up, trying not to go under certain lighting, avoiding the wind, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by samgreen883
  • Like 2

I didnt look as much in the mirror as i do now after failed surgery and so called repair.  This is due to negative comments and folks telling me my hair looks messed up.  I also have ridging and cobblestoning/pitting.  This is due to unethical surgery performed and it has set me back where I need a proper repair.  Looks way unnatural now.  It even impacted donor area with density losses around.  Totally fucked my scalp up and everyone that has seen me concurs with my assessments.  This include everyday folk, professionals, reps, and officials.  

So, after surgery in looking at mirror a lot to try to figure out how to mask the level of unnatural work and harm on scalp.  Even toppik has a hard time helping.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Yeah youre right Sean. A bad Ht experience sort of defines and make you more obsessive/aware of your hair than you used to be, even if you dont want it to. Going through 2 bad experiences then is just fucking intense. The industry (obviously) has an interest of only emphasising good results and making everything seem easy, when the reality is a little different. 

So if OP is debating getting a HT just try and be aware of the risks because, as Sean has emphasised,  a sure fire way to becoming worried or obsessed about your hair is to endure a bad result. 

interesting take. I also wonder if good HT will be something that you always need to took after so it will look good? I started thinking about it after reading this post

3 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Edited by samgreen883

I have had 2 good transplants and I spend much more time on my hair now.  I cannot come up with a hairstyle that I like, and my hair wants to lie too flat.  My hair is 8" on top and I do not want the slicked back look or white side walls.  I am going to have to try and find a men's hair sylist who doesn't try to pull one of those fruity hairstyles on me.

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

22 hours ago, Dazed said:

I have had 2 good transplants and I spend much more time on my hair now.  I cannot come up with a hairstyle that I like, and my hair wants to lie too flat.  My hair is 8" on top and I do not want the slicked back look or white side walls.  I am going to have to try and find a men's hair sylist who doesn't try to pull one of those fruity hairstyles on me.

thanks for the input. very interesting. this is the exact thing I am worried about.

• Administrators

Great question and I’m glad that my post got you thinking, it’s exactly what I wanted. I do not obsess over my hair.

But I still take about 20 minutes to get my hair looking how I want it to look. This includes hair products, hair spray and hair loss concealer.  

My thoughts, if you think a hair transplant is going to solve all your problems, you’re in for a rude awakening. It definitely wont solve all your problems and if you continue to lose hair, you’re likely gonna obsess over it again.

Now, a hair transplant can be a life-changer if you view it from a healthy perspective and receive a good result. But even if you receive a good result you have to be realistic and accept that you’re never going to replace all of the hair you’ve lost, especially if it’s a lot.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great question and I’m glad that my post got you thinking, it’s exactly what I wanted. I do not obsess over my hair.

But I still take about 20 minutes to get my hair looking how I want it to look. This includes hair products, hair spray and hair loss concealer.  

My thoughts, if you think a hair transplant is going to solve all your problems, you’re in for a rude awakening. It definitely wont solve all your problems and if you continue to lose hair, you’re likely gonna obsess over it again.

Now, a hair transplant can be a life-changer if you view it from a healthy perspective and receive a good result. But even if you receive a good result you have to be realistic and accept that you’re never going to replace all of the hair you’ve lost, especially if it’s a lot.

Thank you Melvin. I was pretty delusional about the all thing and your post was quite an awakening for me, really appreciate that. 

• Like 1

Got my first haircut in 13 months, and it looks much better.  It was actually getting too long.  Now it looks like something I can take care of.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

32 minutes ago, harry_potter1 said:

This is one really interesting and important thread.

This is my biggest fear regarding HT. That it won't help in the psychological aspect of things 

Yes I hope we can get some more replies here from people who had HT. if you can only get an illusion of hair that you always have to check in to make sure it looks full and real then i would probobly prefer just to shave it off over being stressed about it all the time.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, samgreen883 said:

Yes I hope we can get some more replies here from people who had HT. if you can only get an illusion of hair that you always have to check in to make sure it looks full and real then i would probobly prefer just to shave it off over being stressed about it all the time.

I think you’ve answered your own question. Your probably better off shaving. I always recommend you attempt to shave at least for a year.

If you can live with it and forget about hair loss, you’ve found your solution. Hair transplants will not stop hair loss or cure hair loss, one and done procedures don’t exist. If this fact isn’t okay with you. Do not get a transplant.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

19 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think you’ve answered your own question. Your probably better off shaving. I always recommend you attempt to shave at least for a year.

If you can live with it and forget about hair loss, you’ve found your solution. Hair transplants will not stop hair loss or cure hair loss, one and done procedures don’t exist. If this fact isn’t okay with you. Do not get a transplant.

Thanks Melvin, your posts always makes me think.

My current thinking is , what i got to lose going ahead with the procedure?  (besides money and time which is not a huge deal for me)  If i won't like the HT hair life, i can always shave it ,  go back to what i am doing now ( and get SMP done on any visible FUE scars I have in the back of my head) and just forget I ever done it.. 

is that a valid way of thinking you reckon? 

Edited by samgreen883

• Administrators
1 hour ago, samgreen883 said:

Thanks Melvin, your posts always makes me think.

My current thinking is , what i got to lose going ahead with the procedure?  (besides money and time which is not a huge deal for me)  If i won't like the HT hair life, i can always shave it ,  go back to what i am doing now ( and get SMP done on any visible FUE scars I have in the back of my head) and just forget I ever done it.. 

is that a valid way of thinking you reckon? 

Well, here’s the thing everyone says they’ll shave their head, but once they do things change. I was one of them, I shaved my head for a year thinking like that. I hated it and knew that shaving my head was not an option. 

That’s why I think it’s a good idea to shave your head now, because chances are if you  can’t live with a shaved head now, you never will. 

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, here’s the thing everyone says they’ll shave their head, but once they do things change. I was one of them, I shaved my head for a year thinking like that. I hated it and knew that shaving my head was not an option. 

That’s why I think it’s a good idea to shave your head now, because chances are if you  can’t live with a shaved head now, you never will. 

I been shaving my head in the last 3 years or so, I got SMP done and I look good with it and overall happy with it.

but.. I do miss having hair, being stuck on one hair style and having to shave it short every 3 days becomes boring after all this years.

So that option is always there for me to come back to if i am not happy with my HT

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, samgreen883 said:

I been shaving my head in the last 3 years or so, I got SMP done and I look good with it and overall happy with it.

but.. I do miss having hair, being stuck on one hair style and having to shave it short every 3 days becomes boring after all this years.

So that option is always there for me to come back to if i am not happy with my HT

Idk man if you’re happy now why risk it. You’ll get scars and have to cover that up with smp. I only recommend surgery to those who know this is a lifelong journey. There’s no temporary surgery. Surgery is forever and there’s no going back afterwards.

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Idk man if you’re happy now why risk it. You’ll get scars and have to cover that up with smp. I only recommend surgery to those who know this is a lifelong journey. There’s no temporary surgery. Surgery is forever and there’s no going back afterwards.

good points, but I got to ask, what am I risking in your opinion? My thinking is that worst case scenario I get SMP done on my scars which is not a huge deal as it seems and I get back to what I am doing now (plus the added density i will get to give the SMP on the temple area more "real look" when shaved)

or am I looking at it all wrong? when you say there is no going back afterwards what you mean?

Edited by samgreen883

9 minutes ago, samgreen883 said:

good points, but I got to ask, what am I risking in your opinion? My thinking is that worst case scenario I get SMP done on my scars which is not a huge deal as it seems and I get back to what I am doing now (plus the added density i will get to give the SMP on the temple area more "real look" when shaved)

or am I looking at it all wrong? when you say there is going back afterwards what you mean?

What scars are we talking about here?? Yes technically FUE leaves scars but they are not visible, even if you shave your hair they shouldn't be visible unless you are being butchered by a bad surgeon, there are no risks, do your research and find the right surgeon and go with what your gut is telling you.

Remember that hair styles change, and the shaved head look will not last forever.  What you might be able to live with at 30 could become something you hate at 50.  I would no more shave my hair than wear a man bun.

9 hours ago, Abi28 said:

What scars are we talking about here?? Yes technically FUE leaves scars but they are not visible, even if you shave your hair they shouldn't be visible unless you are being butchered by a bad surgeon, there are no risks, do your research and find the right surgeon and go with what your gut is telling you.

This isn’t accurate IMO. Some people are fortunate in that their FUE scarring is quite subtle. However, just as many end up with very noticeable punctate scarring that is of a different pigmentation than the rest of their scalp - ie very noticeable with a shaved head.  

On 10/21/2019 at 5:06 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hmmm, what other aspects in "obsession" do you have  other than taking 20 minutes to prepare it?

For me I don't obsess with hair that much when I am combing it. At least since my mid-20's. 

But at some point I hated looking at the mirror at all (may be that is why I don't comb it for so long) and stopped feeling good about my look. It affects me approaching a lot of things. Like approaching women, presentations and even social events since I started hating being in photos. 

I think this is one of the reasons I would say that my wait isn't bad, because right now I would take more realistic result that frame my face and take me back from being "bald" into "balding" which actually a huge difference look-wise. 

OTOH, 10 years ago when I was 22, I would  go mad about having a recessed temple if I went to HT.

So I hope if I get a HT (I am planning to do it around 2021) I will get over that mostly. 

9 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

Hmmm, what other aspects in "obsession" do you have  other than taking 20 minutes to prepare it?

For me I don't obsess with hair that much when I am combing it. At least since my mid-20's. 

But at some point I hated looking at the mirror at all (may be that is why I don't comb it for so long) and stopped feeling good about my look. It affects me approaching a lot of things. Like approaching women, presentations and even social events since I started hating being in photos. 

I think this is one of the reasons I would say that my wait isn't bad, because right now I would take more realistic result that frame my face and take me back from being "bald" into "balding" which actually a huge difference look-wise. 

OTOH, 10 years ago when I was 22, I would  go mad about having a recessed temple if I went to HT.

So I hope if I get a HT (I am planning to do it around 2021) I will get over that mostly. 

I actually would prefer the "bald" look much better than the "balding" look, with the bald look you are taking things into your own hands and got a fu*k it attiudute , while with the balding look you seems to be trying to hang out to scarps. that's actually my biggest concern regarding getting a hair transplant - looking like i am balding. I do not want that. 

12 hours ago, samgreen883 said:

I actually would prefer the "bald" look much better than the "balding" look, with the bald look you are taking things into your own hands and got a fu*k it attiudute , while with the balding look you seems to be trying to hang out to scarps. that's actually my biggest concern regarding getting a hair transplant - looking like i am balding. I do not want that. 

Depends on your definition of balding and how you interpret it, age and everyone's personal look etc.For example, some people I know looks awesome with little hair rather than non. Think of Iain Glen for example, Jude Law back before HT etc. I know many who consider them  really good looking men. Many of whom I know in their 30's or older look that way.

Some other are the opposite for sure. I know a friend who looks way better shaving his head, than when he even had a full head of hair. And he isn't your typical description of those folks who are supposed to look like that as you know many thinks guys who have darker skin, tall muscular etc will rock it with shaved head. In contrary he is overweight , 5'6 Caucasian. 

Human variety is just huge. 

For me I looked much better up to 3 years ago with balding hair rather than shaving. But I was worried then just like I am worried today.

I never fully shaved my head. But put it razor 2 for a year during army services. Never liked it even when I tried to accept it. Even my friends told me you better looking with hair :( 

With that being said, I think with good surgeon and couple of surgeries you can in many cases -not all- achieve more than that. you know turning into a guy whose hair isn't thick but isn't balding if you get what I mean. Or at worst achieve a good and neat balding view. 

Edited by harry_potter1