Lazer cap

This was quite the rage 15 years ago and I even had a Lazermax, which proved useless.  Most of the links are probably dead now on this site  https://hairlossfight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1061&sid=884efa5f7c07b02e394c1b3f55f82b64.

There was a whole community that was building their own helmets.  You have to figure that if it worked they would still be around.

Edited by Dazed

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Lasers have been around for a while.  The laser comb was the first to get FDA approval.  Once the approval is given - all devices manufactured  to perform the same function after the first, get a clearance automatically. No checking, no testing...if it falls under the category, it gets a clearance.  

The first unit was too labor intensive....You had to place the unit in an area for 4 seconds, move it to the next area, about an inch - in any direction, and do the 4 seconds again.  You would do this until the entire head was done.  You would then need to criss-cross and do it again so to confirm all areas had been done. If you were doing less than 30 minutes, you were not doing it correctly. Then other units started coming out.

Some units now look like bicycle helmets, others have MP players so you can hear music while doing the treatments, etc. The one I use is LaserCap.  There are studies on the unit and carries a lifetime warranty.  Additionally, the array of 224 diodes allows for maximum benefit.  This unit fits under a cap and it's well concealed. Now there are knock-offs of this unit.  There is also Knock-offs of Knock-offs.  

The problem with lasers, in my opinion, is people themselves.  No patience, now knowledge, and a number of other issues.  The first thing to understand about this modality as well as the other ones we typically discuss when dealing with this debilitating condition, (hair loss), is the fact that nothing out there regrows hair.  Medical therapies exist to help with retention of the native hair.

Laser works on the cellular level. It can help promote more blood to the area.  Thus, more nutrients.  This can help with retention and enhancement of the native hair.  Here lies the second issue.  So you have tons of hair and you notice strands starting to thin. You decide to get a laser.  A few weeks later so see no change...You immediately want to return the unit because you SAW NOTHING except for continuous shedding.

As I've been advocating all this time...Shedding is normal.  You'll shed every hair in your scalp at intervals throughout your life.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  The hair then returns.  So, if you see hair in the tub, sink or pillow, smile at yourself because you know the hair will come back. Hair loss is the hair you don't see.

Go the the bathroom and turn on the light.  Look at the hair in the temporal areas.  You'll notice some strands are thick and robust while others are not as thick.  We refer to this as miniaturization.  That's hair loss.  Eventually the hair does not grow any more, diminishes and eventually disappears. 

It is imperative for providers to scope.  A scope is not expensive but it's a great tool to incorporate when using a laser.  Scope an area and 6 months later scope the same area.  Keep records.  I am confident you'll see an improvement of the strands.  Can people readily see this?  NO! You have other hair that gets in the way!. Can't tell you how many patients I've helped and shown this to.  It's always....."I had no idea it was working so well."

Laser therapy works.  I think it's a great adjunct to whatever you're doing or not doing.  For those having issues with Propecia...now you have something you can use that is external and no side effects. If you have questions, ask away.....

On 10/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, LaserCap said:

Lasers have been around for a while.  The laser comb was the first to get FDA approval.  Once the approval is given - all devices manufactured  to perform the same function after the first, get a clearance automatically. No checking, no testing...if it falls under the category, it gets a clearance.  

The first unit was too labor intensive....You had to place the unit in an area for 4 seconds, move it to the next area, about an inch - in any direction, and do the 4 seconds again.  You would do this until the entire head was done.  You would then need to criss-cross and do it again so to confirm all areas had been done. If you were doing less than 30 minutes, you were not doing it correctly. Then other units started coming out.

Some units now look like bicycle helmets, others have MP players so you can hear music while doing the treatments, etc. The one I use is LaserCap.  There are studies on the unit and carries a lifetime warranty.  Additionally, the array of 224 diodes allows for maximum benefit.  This unit fits under a cap and it's well concealed. Now there are knock-offs of this unit.  There is also Knock-offs of Knock-offs.  

The problem with lasers, in my opinion, is people themselves.  No patience, now knowledge, and a number of other issues.  The first thing to understand about this modality as well as the other ones we typically discuss when dealing with this debilitating condition, (hair loss), is the fact that nothing out there regrows hair.  Medical therapies exist to help with retention of the native hair.

Laser works on the cellular level. It can help promote more blood to the area.  Thus, more nutrients.  This can help with retention and enhancement of the native hair.  Here lies the second issue.  So you have tons of hair and you notice strands starting to thin. You decide to get a laser.  A few weeks later so see no change...You immediately want to return the unit because you SAW NOTHING except for continuous shedding.

As I've been advocating all this time...Shedding is normal.  You'll shed every hair in your scalp at intervals throughout your life.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  The hair then returns.  So, if you see hair in the tub, sink or pillow, smile at yourself because you know the hair will come back. Hair loss is the hair you don't see.

Go the the bathroom and turn on the light.  Look at the hair in the temporal areas.  You'll notice some strands are thick and robust while others are not as thick.  We refer to this as miniaturization.  That's hair loss.  Eventually the hair does not grow any more, diminishes and eventually disappears. 

It is imperative for providers to scope.  A scope is not expensive but it's a great tool to incorporate when using a laser.  Scope an area and 6 months later scope the same area.  Keep records.  I am confident you'll see an improvement of the strands.  Can people readily see this?  NO! You have other hair that gets in the way!. Can't tell you how many patients I've helped and shown this to.  It's always....."I had no idea it was working so well."

Laser therapy works.  I think it's a great adjunct to whatever you're doing or not doing.  For those having issues with Propecia...now you have something you can use that is external and no side effects. If you have questions, ask away.....

Thanks