3 Reasons Why Hair Transplants Have Grown in Popularity

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

There is no denying hair transplants are getting more popular, but now patients are going by Instagram and fancy advertisements. I live in Los Angeles, the amount of plastic surgeons that simply put "Beverly Hills" in to their practice name and think that this is some how supposed to be a plaque of excellence is astounding. 

What are your guys top 3 reasons for hair transplants becoming popular? How do we educate the masses? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

3 Reasons Why Hair Transplants Have Grown in Popularity

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

This is true, the fact is that people still view balding as something that happens when you get older. Therefore, young guys who go bald are automatically assumed to be a lot older. I remember not getting carded when I was 27 years old. Now at 34 I get carded a lot more, this is simply because now I have hair. This is a hard fact, that many do not want to accept. This is why hair transplants in my opinion are gaining popularity, and it doesn't seem to be slowing any time soon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Moderators
On 10/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I remember not getting carded when I was 27 years old. Now at 34 I get carded a lot more

At 19 years old I was regularly going to the bar after work with a group of coworkers who were all older than me and I never got carded. At 21 I went to buy liquor for a party and the cashier who is supposed to see your ID if you look under 30 told me she didn't need to see it because I'm obviously older than that. Hairloss at a young age sucks and it's not about low self esteem or self confidence like many people think. To answer the topic though, the real reason that more hair transplants are being done is because it can look like your own hair when done right. That was not possible to do when I had mine done. Very few people are going to do a hair transplant if it's going to look fake. There are other factors now that are different from years ago such as the selfie social media era that causes you to have to look your best, dating sites where you are chosen based on looks, easy internet research and comparisons, etc. But with all of these things, the ONLY real reason more people are doing it is, as I said, the fact that the technology is good enough now. Even with all those things I mentioned, hair transplants would not be popular if they were still doing 4mm plugs because it wouldn't make you look better. In fact I'd say if those types of hair transplants were just getting under way today there would probably be a chance that the industry going bust and hardly anyone doing them and then we'd never get to the point we are today. Dr's doing such work today would not be tolerated.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

At 19 years old I was regularly going to the bar after work with a group of coworkers who were all older than me and I never got carded. At 21 I went to buy liquor for a party and the cashier who is supposed to see your ID if you look under 30 told me she didn't need to see it because I'm obviously older than that. Hairloss at a young age sucks and it's not about low self esteem or self confidence like many people think. To answer the topic though, the real reason that more hair transplants are being done is because it can look like your own hair when done right. That was not possible to do when I had mine done. Very few people are going to do a hair transplant if it's going to look fake. There are other factors now that are different from years ago such as the selfie social media era that causes you to have to look your best, dating sites where you are chosen based on looks, easy internet research and comparisons, etc. But with all of these things, the ONLY real reason more people are doing it is, as I said, the fact that the technology is good enough now. Even with all those things I mentioned, hair transplants would not be popular if they were still doing 4mm plugs because it wouldn't make you look better. In fact I'd say if those types of hair transplants were just getting under way today there would probably be a chance that the industry going bust and hardly anyone doing them and then we'd never get to the point we are today. Dr's doing such work today would not be tolerated.

10/10 post

As someone who lost their hair before 30 I agree. When you’re that age you just wanna look normal. I’ve always said young guys get surgery to look their age, older guys get surgery to look younger. 

View my thread