Choosing the right offer

Hello 

Im a 28 year old man who are on the brink of ordering a trip to europe for a hair transplant. i started loosing hair in the age of 24 I do have been crawling the internet to learn what there is to know about hair transplant. I have reached out to 10 different clincs , sending them  pictures. I got some very different offers. In the meantime have i started using minoxidil.

Some clinic tells me i need 6000 grafts transplanted, others advice 3000, One told me 4500 

-Price vary from 0,7 euros - 2,5 euros per graft. 
-one clinic advices me to start taking finastreide 2 weeks before the operation 
-I was told im Norwood 7

So i have 3 questions.
1.any advice on the info i have mentioned above and context with my pictures?
2. I belive i should go on meds against hairloss  for the rest of my life? , using ,finastreide minoxidil etc. why does no clinic adress this at all. They mentiod post op meds but dont tell me anything about how long they last or what type of meds they want me to use. 

20190917_121905.jpg

20190926_185723.jpg

20190926_190627.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Torgeir

First, I tend to disagree with the assessment.  In a class 7 you typically notice most of the hair gone with only a little strip of hair left int he donor.  Based on the photos you've provided, you look very similar to a 5A pattern.

You hair is rather short.  It would be nice if you could let it grow a bit to "see" what's happening.

There are two types of loss. The one you see and the one you don't.  The one you see is referred to as shedding.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  That hair will typically return in the ensuing months.  This will happen randomly throughout your head/life.  Hair loss, however, refers to hair you don't see.

Miniaturization of the shaft is what you need to look at.  Eventually this hair will stop growing, will dissipate and eventually whither away.  

The second component to be aware of is the limitation of the donor area.  There is typically not enough to allow for a full set of hair, particularly when dealing with an advanced pattern.  It is imperative you keep as much of the native hair as you can. This is the main reason to consider medical therapy, (Propecia, Rogaine, Laser, PRP). (If you do meds and they work, stay on them.  It does you no good to start/stop as you will resume losing hair).  Let me give you an example....

Patient is 26YO. has a mature hairline with very recessed temporal areas.  He's been using meds for 6 years and is retaining. Gets the corners done and stops meds.  He loses all his hair and the only thing left are two horns worth of hair........I've seen it happen. Yes, you need to stay on the meds for as long as you want hair.

The post op meds they are referring to is likely pain medication post procedure......They will typically include this and will be given to you at the end of the day.

Transplant wise do as many grafts as you can afford and have them concentrated on the front and blend them to the area behind the front.  Have the doctor continue working towards the back until he runs out of grafts.  Do NOT place grafts in the crown area, allow meds to do their thing.  Wait a year and reassess.

• Administrators

You're definitely not a class 7, I would classify you as a norwood 5a, you have high sides which is great. How many grafts you need depends on your goals. I would say that for a complete restoration, you would require around 6,000 grafts. However, 6,000 grafts in one sitting is dangerous and not recommended. You will likely need more than one surgery to address the front and back. Do your research. Go on our our surgeon review section and look up real patient reviews. Find the surgeons that are doing good work. Never base your procedure off money or location. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would recommend addressing the hairline, frontal and mid scalp areas before considering having any work done in the crown region. You are young so you should go with a conservative game plan in case you have additional hair loss in the future. Also consider using as many non surgical preventative treatments as possible to preserve as much hair that you still have as you can.