Donor area pain causing sleepless nights!

Hi all,

Im on day 4 post op after my fue Procedure with Dr Bisanga.  So far I’ve been following the post op care advice and think the healing looks to be on track, however, I’m getting some noticeable increase in pain in the donor area.  It’s worse when my head is touching a pillow.  As I can’t sleep on my side yet due to the risk of rubbing the grafts I’ve got no position to be in!

Ive contacted my advisor at BHR but need some of your opinions too! Is there anything I can take other than paracetamol as they aren’t doing anything.  Are ibuprofen safe to take yet?  Any pain relief ointment etc?  I’m using the iso betadine antiseptic at the mo.  Also it’s not red just a little swollen.

cheers all 🤞

Hi Danny, I would say approximately 1 in  20 patients do complain about donor area pain and I know what you mean about sleeping. I guess its the feeling of tightness that can be painful for some.  I would recommend the following to ease the pain and discomfort,

1. Use Aloe Vera cream or similar to help soothe the donor area.

2. Take painkillers such as Ibuprofen, they will help immensely.

3, When sleeping use a comfortable flight pillow even when lying down (memory foam is best). It will help, give it a try.

The pain should ease with every passing day so using the above try to stick it out.

Thanks Shera,

I’ll get some Aloe Vera today.  I’ve been hesitant to use Ibuprofen as I heard it can thin blood and potentially harm grafts.  But I’d love to be pain free tonight!

Thanks for the advice....

Hi Danny,  How you doing?  

I think I had my HT with Dr Bisanga just few days before yours, mine was in the Athens clinic ( I'm currently at day 10-11 ),  

Unfortunately I'm suffering as well from some pain;  for me It's kind of waves of shivering that I feel all over my body and at my head it feels like I'm getting electrified,

together with some itciness in donor and some tight overall feeling and numbness in some part of  the scalp, 

Those bad feeling are worse at night time while during the day the pain is somehow manageable,  

I do take painkillers Ibuprofen that help to some degree (as advised by the clinic) and put aloe vera on the donor,  

So, besides that, no too much to do about it.  from what I saw online, it's possible nerve damage that should fixed itself in some point 2-3-4weeks?!~.

it will be great to know when you're feeling any better, crossing fingers it will be behind us soon. 

Edited by kondofoni

Sorry to hear you’re suffering kondofoni, sounds a bit worse than mine.  It wouldn’t be so bad if I could sleep on my side as it’s mainly the middle of the back.  If I were you I’d think about getting it checked with your GP especially as you have shivers, sounds like a possible infection.  I’m going to give Aloe Vera a try tomorrow.

Other than that, how was your procedure? How many grafts did you get?

Fingers crossed for both of us that the results are worth the rollercoaster of emotions and pain lol!

Stay positive mate we’ve been to a world class Doctor 🤞💪🏽💪🏽

1 hour ago, Danny1671 said:

Sorry to hear you’re suffering kondofoni, sounds a bit worse than mine.  It wouldn’t be so bad if I could sleep on my side as it’s mainly the middle of the back.  If I were you I’d think about getting it checked with your GP especially as you have shivers, sounds like a possible infection.  I’m going to give Aloe Vera a try tomorrow.

Well, I don't think it's infection Thanks God. I sent all the scalp photos to the clinic's advisor, It's looks clean job and pretty similar to yours.  It's just this pain that peaked few days ago and of course, if it won't drop in a week or two or so, I'll get it check more seriously. 

Other than that, how was your procedure? How many grafts did you get?

My Surgery was 2 long days, I had 4100 grafts. 

(I'm still on the fence starting my thread with photos and all, but eventually I might just do it.)  

Fingers crossed for both of us that the results are worth the rollercoaster of emotions and pain lol!

Stay positive mate we’ve been to a world class Doctor 🤞💪🏽💪🏽

Absolutely world class Dr!  and I'm crossing my fingers  ( hands and legs)  for both of us.

Edited by kondofoni
  • Like 1

Hello,

i can only imagine that it is a matter of the big amount of grafts (4000+) which obviously is very stressful for the skin etc. Although I only had 1000fue and the year before 2003fue wirh dr Bisanga, my donor is healing very nicely and fast (both times). I never used one of the painkillers the clinic put in your bag. 

However, I have also started applying aloe vera to the donor area about tow days ago

it is now day6 after the 1000fue

Edited by Ftothe

Looking great Ftothe, I also started with Aloe Vera today and I can definitely feel that it’s soothing the area.  Day by day it looks better and cleaner all over.  Dreading the ‘ugly duckling’ period but hopefully in a few months it will be all worth it.

well,   (day12)   I had somewhat a little bit less pain in the past 24hours,  so getting cautiously optimistic about starting a trend of decline in pain .. 

Ftothe - I think the pain is very individual thing, and not it's very common in FUE,  at least from the research I did pre-OP,  I wasn't prepared to have a 10days post OP of pain..  but again hope it's getting better and it was just a bump. 

P.S. :  the shave look with those grafts it look so nice, those hairs are growing day-by-day,  makes me wanna cry (lol) thinking abt the shedding that is around the corner and the ugly duckling that awaits..  I guess nothing to do about it part of the process 😭

Edited by kondofoni

This pain is more common than you think, i had it twice after first 2 op's..  Its worse at night as your horizontal and blood flow going back, and head on pillow i think and focused on it..  It came on me around day 5/6 and took a a week or so to leave.  I remember it vividly and the reasoning i could find is its nerves in the occipital zone repairing themselves.   It makes sense after you've had thousands of them ripped out.   Vitamin supplements also help nerve damage , Vitamin B.  It does pass and nothing too worry about it.   I rode it out with Tylenol.

I think its definitely more common that 1 in 20.. that's for sure.

Edited by BaldingBogger

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

No problem man I knew creating this video would come in handy. Glad it helped.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 year later...

Did 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, kondofoni said:

Hi Danny,  How you doing?  

I think I had my HT with Dr Bisanga just few days before yours, mine was in the Athens clinic ( I'm currently at day 10-11 ),  

Unfortunately I'm suffering as well from some pain;  for me It's kind of waves of shivering that I feel all over my body and at my head it feels like I'm getting electrified,

together with some itciness in donor and some tight overall feeling and numbness in some part of  the scalp, 

Those bad feeling are worse at night time while during the day the pain is somehow manageable,  

I do take painkillers Ibuprofen that help to some degree (as advised by the clinic) and put aloe vera on the donor,  

So, besides that, no too much to do about it.  from what I saw online, it's possible nerve damage that should fixed itself in some point 2-3-4weeks?!~.

it will be great to know when you're feeling any better, crossing fingers it will be behind us soon. 

did the pain clear up? I’m day 9 and have intense pain in the donor area that feels like stinging/ burning. Any advice to speed up recovery? Thanks 

On 9/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, Forty Six & 2 said:

I had the same problems after both of my two FUEs. Balding Boggers reply is basically the same as I was told by my surgeon. It started after a few days and after 2 weeks it was gone.

Mine is still here and intense at 14 days post op. Hopefully it will improve over the next week. Didn’t have this issue with my first HT but most say it resolves around the 2 week mark so hopefully I’ll see improvements soon. 

I used Tylenol 500 on all of my procedures which made a significant difference...possibly ask your doctor for Tylenol #3 (contains codeine) which is a narcotic.

I also used Tylenol PM at bedtime which also helped me fall asleep with less pain.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY