How long can you keep the hair naturally?

Recently i ve made a home made shampoo from nettle mixed with vitamin D, olive oil and few more stuff. I was planning on buying a dermaroll too..I was wondering how effective is to fight thinning with natural products, how long will i be able to keep as many hair as possible? I m also having a really good diet, taking oral supplements Zinc, Vitamin D, magnesium.. I want to give it as much time as possible before i m forced to go minox. I m never gonna hop on fin, not gonna risk even 1% with it. There are plenty of evidence that it can screw you up really hard and hair is not worth that risk.. 

So how effective really are natural products? 

1 hour ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

Depends on how aggressive your hairloss is but natural remedies are unproven. Finasteride and minoxidil has not been able to keep mine. Both worked for about 8 years on my crown. IMO the sooner you get in fin the more chance you have of saving your hair.

Fin is a very dangerous drug and it shouldnt be taken this lightly. You cant just get on that and be on it for the rest of your life. Just because most of the people tolerate it, it doesnt mean they dont have "weaker" errections, worsen mood or depression by some % etc. Surpressing DHT is not a game

In the time I've been involved in this industry seldom, if ever, have I seen anyone benefit from "natural products," as you put it.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the only modalities proven to have an effect on hair loss.  The mechanism of action of each is totally different and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously. So using any one or a combination thereof should yield some results.  Here is the problem......

People in general want to see results.  When they see no visual change a year later, they  think the medication did nothing. 

The medication is not intended to regrow hair.  There is nothing out there that regrows hair other than a hair transplant.

The medication is intended for you to keep what you have. So, if you look the same today as what you did a year ago, the medication did what it was supposed to do.  Sometimes there can be enhancement of the hair.  That is, miniaturized hair, (thinner shafts) can thicken up.  A small percentage of patients do experience this.  And if you do, stay on the medication because it's working great.

With regards to what Thisisnotatest33 outlined above, Rogaine has a tendency to work for about 7 years and then the effect declines.  You are still retaining but not as effectively.  When this happens, patients have a tendency to just forgo the medication.  They then experience very aggressive and rapid loss.  So, stay on the medication regardless of what you see or don't see. 2nd point, I've seen patients just stabilize and only notice normal shedding which I'm guessing its what happened.  You will randomly shed hair throughout your life.  The follicle gets tired and goes into a dormant stage.  The hair eventually returns. (So if you SEE hair, don't worry about it, it will return). 

Unfortunately we do not see hair loss until it's too late.  It is difficult to see miniaturization. Do you realize patients start noticing hair loss when they've lost 50% of their original hair? Crazy.

With regards to Propecia, I'll share my own experience. 

Did my research....How it started, what others were experiencing, etc. I think of the medication as a potential benefit in a couple of fronts.  First there is more testosterone under the medication.  So you should be wanting more, not less.  And while this is only temporary until the body figures out what's happening, it helps my mental/reasoning approach.

Proscar, the parent medication, is taken by millions to address prostate issues.  So, if it's going to help in that department as well...why not.

So I think there is a mental aspect to this but it's all about the approach.  If I was to give you a piece of chocolate and tell you, "this is an amazing piece of chocolate.  It was magical powers but can give you permanent ED," what do you think it's going to happen?

I've been on the medication for more than 20 years.  Never experienced  anything negative.  I've kept my hair and to this day I get complimented often.

More and more, and not just in this forum, I read all the negativity involving Propecia. Mind you, I am aware that some people do experience a side effect, (loss of interest when it comes to sex). And it seems the news keeps getting worse.  Only to find a few months later, "after further research we've now found...." 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

In the time I've been involved in this industry seldom, if ever, have I seen anyone benefit from "natural products," as you put it.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the only modalities proven to have an effect on hair loss.  The mechanism of action of each is totally different and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously. So using any one or a combination thereof should yield some results.  Here is the problem......

People in general want to see results.  When they see no visual change a year later, they  think the medication did nothing. 

The medication is not intended to regrow hair.  There is nothing out there that regrows hair other than a hair transplant.

The medication is intended for you to keep what you have. So, if you look the same today as what you did a year ago, the medication did what it was supposed to do.  Sometimes there can be enhancement of the hair.  That is, miniaturized hair, (thinner shafts) can thicken up.  A small percentage of patients do experience this.  And if you do, stay on the medication because it's working great.

With regards to what Thisisnotatest33 outlined above, Rogaine has a tendency to work for about 7 years and then the effect declines.  You are still retaining but not as effectively.  When this happens, patients have a tendency to just forgo the medication.  They then experience very aggressive and rapid loss.  So, stay on the medication regardless of what you see or don't see. 2nd point, I've seen patients just stabilize and only notice normal shedding which I'm guessing its what happened.  You will randomly shed hair throughout your life.  The follicle gets tired and goes into a dormant stage.  The hair eventually returns. (So if you SEE hair, don't worry about it, it will return). 

Unfortunately we do not see hair loss until it's too late.  It is difficult to see miniaturization. Do you realize patients start noticing hair loss when they've lost 50% of their original hair? Crazy.

With regards to Propecia, I'll share my own experience. 

Did my research....How it started, what others were experiencing, etc. I think of the medication as a potential benefit in a couple of fronts.  First there is more testosterone under the medication.  So you should be wanting more, not less.  And while this is only temporary until the body figures out what's happening, it helps my mental/reasoning approach.

Proscar, the parent medication, is taken by millions to address prostate issues.  So, if it's going to help in that department as well...why not.

So I think there is a mental aspect to this but it's all about the approach.  If I was to give you a piece of chocolate and tell you, "this is an amazing piece of chocolate.  It was magical powers but can give you permanent ED," what do you think it's going to happen?

I've been on the medication for more than 20 years.  Never experienced  anything negative.  I've kept my hair and to this day I get complimented often.

More and more, and not just in this forum, I read all the negativity involving Propecia. Mind you, I am aware that some people do experience a side effect, (loss of interest when it comes to sex). And it seems the news keeps getting worse.  Only to find a few months later, "after further research we've now found...." 

Regarding fin side effect. There are some good evidence that ED can be almost permanent if not a very long lasting ED. (IF that happens). But what i am wondering is that, even though you dont have ED, it can still affect your sex drive and the hardness of your errection, even if its a 10% of reduction. Thats something i really dont want to play with, especially when i get older, getting an erection is just even bigger pain in the ass. I am 24 atm and have no issues with it. But what if i m 35+ on DHT blockers, there is no way it doesnt affect my errection even a tiny bit.
That thing right there bothers me a bunch... I do understand there is a psychological aspect and placebo effect of ED in fin users, but its still something i wouldnt want to even think about it, especially when i grow older.

Also one more question. What do people do when minox stop working? What do they switch to? Higher dosages?

Edited by Thisisnotatest333

I totally get it.  There are patients against using the medication and I respect their point of view.

No need to increase the amount of Rogaine...just keep doing a cap full of the foam once or twice a day - whatever your schedule permits.

I would encourage you to add laser therapy to the mix.  Maybe even PRP.

3 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

I totally get it.  There are patients against using the medication and I respect their point of view.

No need to increase the amount of Rogaine...just keep doing a cap full of the foam once or twice a day - whatever your schedule permits.

I would encourage you to add laser therapy to the mix.  Maybe even PRP.

Im gonna do anything to prolong the end result which will be my bald head. My last resort will be minox, until then, microneedling, healthy diet, vitamin shampoo and cold washing..and hope i survive my 30s :D I m going to look up for PRP tho, never read much about it, might even do that 

Edited by Thisisnotatest333