The TRUTH About The Hair Transplant Industry

• Administrators

Having been involved in this forum now for over 5 years, i've seen some unsavory practices in the hair transplant industry. What is the worst thing you guys have come across in this industry? I recall about 4 years ago, there was a guy who went to a clinic out in Colorado that was offering $2 grafts. They lied about the pricing, bait and switched him in terms of how much they said he needed and in the end gave him the worst hair plugs I had ever seen in recent times. 

The TRUTH About The Hair Transplant Industry

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Just last year there was a man who died in India after trying to get 9,000 grafts in one sitting. The lack of ethics is insane.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Ive seen many things, documented, even with audio, screenshotted, emails, chats, messages, etc etc 

FTC has been made aware for certain things and folks will continue to make others aware.  

Dealt with lots of folks that are repair cases trying to get things fixed.  

Craziest thing is seeing a perfectly normal scalp high school kid get a FUT done by surgeon before his hairloss pattern formed.  Its only going to cause trouble later.  I also saw guys with necrosis and hush ups.  Lots of unethical stuff.   

I had come across these articles a while back and thought it'd be relevant to the post:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8682871/horrific-hair-transplants-gone-wrong-black-market-ops-warning/

https://qz.com/954680/in-turkeys-cutthroat-hair-transplant-tourism-industry-the-biggest-losers-are-the-patients-and-syrian-refugees/

What are the recourses patients have if their surgery is botched here in the States?

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Sean said:

Ive seen many things, documented, even with audio, screenshotted, emails, chats, messages, etc etc 

FTC has been made aware for certain things and folks will continue to make others aware.  

Dealt with lots of folks that are repair cases trying to get things fixed.  

Craziest thing is seeing a perfectly normal scalp high school kid get a FUT done by surgeon before his hairloss pattern formed.  Its only going to cause trouble later.  I also saw guys with necrosis and hush ups.  Lots of unethical stuff.   

How would you propose we clean the industry up Sean? I always appreciate your input.

View my thread

Dr Khokar, recourse bot mushkil hay states mein.  Bakwaas gaurantees hay ar muje kafee nuksaan hua hay issi waja se.  Koshish hay inshAllah sahi se repair hojai mera.  Thanks for sharing the links.

Melvin, to make sure nothing illegal has occurred would be a big step.  What damage was done to patients and being done?  I can definitely come up with a large list.  Worst mistake is to advocate for any physician that has done something wrong and against the law.  Any surgical procedure or scoring of the skin is deemed illegal in North America when done by a non surgeon.  Yet, some docs have their techs or nurses extract. Turkey may be less regulated in sense but I spoke with FDA and Med Boards in regards to this issue.   Medical records should also be provided by doctors as is when requested and they should be FULL record.  Doctors should not omit or hide anything from them either.    Like I said I can keep going.  It ls absolutely crazy .  Thanks for the kind words

• Like 1

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Sean said:

Dr Khokar, recourse bot mushkil hay states mein.  Bakwaas gaurantees hay ar muje kafee nuksaan hua hay issi waja se.  Koshish hay inshAllah sahi se repair hojai mera.  Thanks for sharing the links.

Melvin, to make sure nothing illegal has occurred would be a big step.  What damage was done to patients and being done?  I can definitely come up with a large list.  Worst mistake is to advocate for any physician that has done something wrong and against the law.  Any surgical procedure or scoring of the skin is deemed illegal in North America when done by a non surgeon.  Yet, some docs have their techs or nurses extract. Turkey may be less regulated in sense but I spoke with FDA and Med Boards in regards to this issue.   Medical records should also be provided by doctors as is when requested and they should be FULL record.  Doctors should not omit or hide anything from them either.    Like I said I can keep going.  It ls absolutely crazy .  Thanks for the kind words

Let's come up with a list Sean, we need to warn our community, so that some patients don't fall in to the wrong hands or for the wrong tricks. I really want our community to prosper and a lot of other forums don't touch on this at all.

• Like 1

View my thread

On 10/9/2019 at 12:18 AM, Sean said:

Impressive Urdu @Sean

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

4 hours ago, forgotpassword said:

Impressive Urdu @Sean

Thanks man!    9 languages and counting!  It is pretty rare but it helps folks throughout the world when it comes to Hair Transplant advice.  

Edited by Sean

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

Thanks man!    9 languages and counting!  It is pretty rare but it helps folks throughout the world when it comes to Hair Transplant advice.  

very impressive; @Seanjust for the sake of curiosity: other than English and Urdu what are the other 7?

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

On 10/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, forgotpassword said:

very impressive; @Seanjust for the sake of curiosity: other than English and Urdu what are the other 7?

Hindi, Punjabi, Pashto, Balochi, Sindhi, Spanish, some French, some Arabic.  Working on Farsi.  Some of the languages here have similar words so it is easier to pick up.  :)

• Administrators

Very nice Sean, I've heard that Urdu and Hindi are very similar. I would love to learn French and German. 

View my thread