Dr. Glenn Charles Answers: Can I Have A Hair Transplant Without Finasteride

• Administrators

I know a lot of you guys have had a hair transplant without finasteride, but check out what Dr. Charles has to say. 

Dr. Glenn Charles Answers: Can I Have A Hair Transplant Without Finasteride

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would take it farther,

With all that is written about Propecia, and there seems to be more and more each day, you can also consider Rogaine and LLL Laser Therapy which can also help retain the native hair.  These are the other two modalities typically discussed when dealing with this debilitating issue........Or something to that effect.

• Administrators

Great point. There are definitely things you can do besides finasteride. Yes, finasteride is the most effective, but if you don't take it, you can still save some hair by using other treatments.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thanks for above pointers. I was advised by few surgeons to take finasteride before hair transplant as I have native hair left. So with lCPRO (dr arochas version of lllt) + PRP and rogaine daily is same as taking finasteride to some extent? I am not in favor to take propecia.

Please advise.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, karsri said:

Thanks for above pointers. I was advised by few surgeons to take finasteride before hair transplant as I have native hair left. So with lCPRO (dr arochas version of lllt) + PRP and rogaine daily is same as taking finasteride to some extent? I am not in favor to take propecia.

Please advise.

I don't take finasteride either. You just have to be a bit more conservative and plan for the future. I think you can still maintain without finasteride. 

View my thread

15 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Some people would rather not take it.  I respect the decision, particularly when I see the patient doing other things to help himself.  What have you noticed so far?

@LaserCap I never started finasteride. i might be a good responder and will not get side affects but I dont see a point even to start on it when there are other alternatives. issue comes when doctor say he will not perform surgery if i am not going to try it for atleast 6 months. there are few top surgeons who can do HT without finasteride so my plan is to go with them and stick to alternatives like PRP and laser cap theropy.

@Melvin-Moderator yes i have conservative goals and looking for Only FUE/DHT. FUT and Finasteride is a big no for me although its a better choice suggested by some top tier surgeons. hence the questions.

Really? What doctors will not do your surgery if you don't take finasteride for at least 6 months? I would be hesitant to consider moving forward with any of them when it's evident they have no clue as to the reason why you should consider taking the medication.

The reason why to do medical therapy is to help you retain the native hair.  This is HUGE when you consider no one has enough donor hair available  to allow for a full set of hair, particularly when dealing with an advanced pattern.  And it takes a full year to see what exactly the medication will do. It is likely you would notice retention in a matter of weeks, but enhancement, if you're going to have any, does take a while.  Let me go into a tangent for a sec.....

You visit with one of these doctors, you listen to him and get on the med.  You experience retention. You take the medication for the 6 months and do the procedure.  You end up looking like Adonis with a beautiful set of hair.  The day after the procedure you stop the medication and within a few months you go on to lose all the hair that you would have lot had you not taken the medication.  And now you have two horns worth of hair, (transplants he just placed on the temporal areas).  The worst thing about it is the fact, once the hair is lost, it never returns.

Throughout my career I've helped thousands of people....Young, old and everyone in between.  Consult and educate...Never have I met a doctor make the procedure conditional..."If you don't take Propecia I won't do the procedure," That's ludicrous. (And at the end of the day, how does the doctor know you are or not taking the med? What, believe everything you say?

The suggestion has always been, at least with me, is to try the medication. And, if it works, stay on it.  If it doesn't stop and research other alternatives other than transplants.  

It is important to recognize, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing. When? No clue.  If you're going to do Rogaine, Laser, PRP....Get to it and stay on them.  Give them a year.  Take plenty of photos. Getting on and off the medication is not the way to go.