Two Recommended Hair Rest Dr. - Different Opinon

Hi,

I went to two doctors that are on the recommended list and I thought both are excellent.

The first doctor said I can get 800 to 1,200 grafts.

The second doctor said 1,500 to 2,000 grafts.

The second doctor even said that the first doctor is good, but disagreed with his opinion.   Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks, Mike

Of course, I've seen it happen many times. A lot has to do with how the doctor was originally trained.  Some are more conservative than others.  This, in itself, does not help the patient even though he means well.  The patient may end up doing more procedures down the road because of this initial recommendation.  Some doctors are just trying to measure you and it's all about the financial aspect.  If they charge you less, it is likely you may move forward with them.

Post some photos and comment on the area you are concerned with.  I am sure plenty of members will give you their opinion.

Thanks for the reply. The money is about $1,000 difference. Not my main concern, as it should not be when picking a doctor. It just makes me wonder why they had such different opinions. The first doctor was about 15 years older. The second doctor is young. Is this what you meant?

• Like 1

• Administrators

There are conservative surgeons and aggressive surgeons. We have both spectrums in our network, and both kinds of surgeons serve a purpose. Being conservative is not a bad thing, but a lot of younger patients prefer aggressive surgeons.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That could be one reason.  The other has to do with when exactly the doctor started in the industry.  Years ago it was believed grafts compete for blood supply so most doctors would leave a separation in between grafts.  4-12 months later the patient could return to fill in the gaps.  A typical recommendation would be 1200 for the front and 2400 for front and top.  If you were doing the front and just blending grafts to the area behind the front, the number would be 1800. If you multiply this X2, it gets you a lot closer to the recommendation of the 2nd doctor.  I am curious. Did either one say anything about another procedure down the road?

19 hours ago, Hair Question said:

Thanks for the reply. The money is about $1,000 difference. Not my main concern, as it should not be when picking a doctor. It just makes me wonder why they had such different opinions. The first doctor was about 15 years older. The second doctor is young. Is this what you meant?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hair Question said:

Melvin, do you have any opinion on Dr. Dorian, or Dr. Bloxman?

Dr. Dorin is a great surgeon, he seems to be a lot more conservative. He get's great results from a small number of grafts. He performs both FUE and Strip, so that's a big plus.

Dr. Bloxham is a great doc as well. He's not overly aggressive in my opinion, he prefers strip over FUE for the majority of his patients. They're both good, but have different philosophies.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, Hair Question said:

Thanks for your response.