Generic or branded fin

options

Hi everyone,

I have recently swapped from branded propecia to generic fin. This reputable UK pharmacy website reassured me: https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/hair-loss/finasteride

However, I have read on this forum that generic fin is ineffective.  Does anyone have research or anecdotes to back this up or to suggest that this isn't the case? I'd love to hear everything for and against this! 

Thanks.

Edited by options

I think this may have applied in the past.  Particularly since Propecia is a 1 mg tablet. 

When Merck lost the patent, doctors started writing scripts for Proscar as a 5 mg tab and asking patients to quarter it.  The problem was the tab was not pre-scored. So one day, perhaps, you were getting more medication than on the next. Now, however, there is a 1 mg tab for finasteride.  I've been on it for more than 20 years and has been effective since day 1. I am confident of the fact, if it hadn't been for fin, I would not have the density I currently enjoy.

The biggest problem in all of this? Patients.  They are under the erroneous idea, if they don't see a visual change, the medication is doing nothing.  The medication is not intended to grow anything.  Nothing regrows hair.  The medication is intended to retain.  So, if you look the same 10 years later, the medication did what it was supposed to do. If you do see a visual change it is because there was enhancement of the miniaturized hair. And, if you do get to experience this, stay on the medication because it's working fabulously.  

• 1 month later...