How To Fade Your Own Hair (Post-Hair Transplant)

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

I struggled with going to the barber after I had my hair transplant. I was embarrassed of the ugly duckling phase. I also didn't want the barber to know I had a hair transplant. So, this prompted me to try and cut my own hair. I'm not barber or professional, but here is a little tutorial for you guys who don't want to go to the barber or you're embarrassed of your hair loss. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sometimes I wish I could do the fade or tapered cut but I have some nasty scars (not from transplants), that show so cannot pull it off.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Sometimes I wish I could do the fade or tapered cut but I have some nasty scars (not from transplants), that show so cannot pull it off.

You can still do it, just not as short. I actually cut my friends hair sometimes and he doesn't go below a #4 which is actually quite long.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

Thanks man, 

I remember getting my hair transplant I was absolutely petrified to go to the barber. The ugly duckling phase in full effect, I thought no way in hell i'm stepping in to the barber and telling a bunch of barbers what I did. Looking back I shouldn't have cared, but I hope this tutorial will help others out there.

View my thread

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

I personally hate going to barbers and have had my girlfriend doing it since my last ht in 2013.  

Nice, yea I really hated going once I started to lose my hair. I lived under a hat, so removing that hat in public was painful. 

View my thread

• Administrators
5 hours ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

Although I am happy with my front I am planning to sort my crown in about a year so I am still very much conscience about being seen without concealer in my crown and the thought of taking out the concealer for the barbers where people would see would fill me with dread. Before I had my Hts done and no girlfriend I used to go to a late night barbers and I would time it right so it was pretty much just me there and I would have the same guy cut it which did make things a little easier.

We're in the same boat. I use concealer for my crown. I've accepted it will always look thin. I have gone to the barber quite a few times. I go to the same guy, also another balding guy. I hadn't cut my own hair for at least two years since I filmed this. I think i'm just gonna go back to cut it myself. I saved at least 25 bucks lol.

View my thread

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You can still do it, just not as short. I actually cut my friends hair sometimes and he doesn't go below a #4 which is actually quite long.

Yeah, I would say that my hair is at least that long below the mid point but it does not look tapered...it just looks like a clean haircut.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have used a Flowbee for about 25 years because I hated white sidewalls with a passion.  I am going to have to go to a stylist soon because my hair is 7.5 inches on the top, and I can't figure out how to handle it. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More