How did you choose a clinic, it's so difficult!

Hi all,

I am so thankful for this site!

As the titles states, how do you choose a clinic to use in Istanbul? There are just too many. 

I now have a list of about 8, they all look good. Looking at their websites and instagram posts, they all appear to do good work! I just don't know how real those results all are. Some of the results look too good to be true. 

I need about 3500 grafts, some are quoting me around 1600 euros while a few others are charging 3000 - 4000.

What I have also read here, I do believe, is that tye most expensive ones are not necessarily the best. 

How do you know? How do you choose the best clinic? I don't mind paying more for good results. 

Choosing a clinic to go with is a lot harder than I thought. 

How did you choose? Where you happy with your decision? 

I would suggest to not look into Clinics, but Surgeons. Don't trust too much their websites and social media as they present absolute best cases. You want to look what's average. If you will be one of those "best" then good for you, but manage your expectations to stay safe.

What people don't realise about Clinics results, that the have 5-20 people a day. Its 100-400 patients a month. If there's only 1-5 results posted by clinic each month out of 100-400 think for yourself how did others look if they didn't made to clinics website catalogue.

Obviously nobody is perfect, but that's just one more thing to consider.

Also think of who is actually performing surgery and which parts of it. Is it dr or technician. Don't forget your HT will be for life time, so you might as well research well to not screw up! Choose wisely.

After you learned about what I just mentioned, did you due diligence, you will see there is actually only few places to go in Turkey.

Best of luck on your research and don't rush it!

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

I would personally not limit myself to one particular country.

Oh great! Now you're making it even harder for him to decide. 😀

One thing you can try, although it's not always easy to do, is to meet some actual patients of a few of those clinics. Seeing some hair transplants in person and up close is so much better than relying on a clinics photos.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Warmachine, 

I agree with Melvin's advise. Past, posted results would be a good gauge of the HT Surgeons work. I also suggest researching as much as possible. This is a very crucial decision and not something that you can afford to mess up on. We have a finite number of grafts on our head and those have to be carefully utilized. Cost is important but should not be treated as the first factor. 

We wish you all the best.

Regards,

Caliofrnia

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, MPBsucks4545 said:

Its about getting it right and being happy with your choice rather than a quick decision. Its not like your buying a car that you can sell in the future.

I agree. I was just joking with you. That's why I put the smiley face.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thank for all the response guys. 

I've commented this on another post:

This is why I'm so paranoid to go for a HT! I've been in contact with 30 clinics! I've read good and bad news about them all! They are all very eager for you to come.. And all make promises of restoring a natural look. But it's such a huge risk. Some posts I see here look great.. They posts clinics post on their social media pages looks amazing. I've been advised from 1500 to 5000 grafts! That's a massive difference. It's really difficult. Seems to be a real gamble. Sadly. 

That is why it is essential that you choose an ethical surgeon with a long term reputation for consistently impressive results and excellent patient care.

Whilst I would normally  encourage as many consults as possible, contacting 30 clinics sounds somewhat counter productive. That sounds as though it would add to the complication and confusion.

Choose 5+ surgeons whom you are genuinely interested in, get their recommendation and honest and expert advise. The best Doctors are not interested in any kind of hard sell. They will tell you how it is and what they expect to realistically achieve.

Wishing you the best of luck.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Moderators
On 10/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, Warmachine said:

This is why I'm so paranoid to go for a HT! I've been in contact with 30 clinics! I've read good and bad news about them all! They are all very eager for you to come.. And all make promises of restoring a natural look. But it's such a huge risk. Some posts I see here look great.. They posts clinics post on their social media pages looks amazing. I've been advised from 1500 to 5000 grafts! That's a massive difference. It's really difficult. Seems to be a real gamble. Sadly.

There are no perfect clinics, so you're not going to find one. There are certainly some very good ones, but if after contacting 30 clinics you are still not ready to go through with it, then maybe you should take a step back and stop thinking about a hair transplant for a while and spend a few months to see how you feel about yourself. It's OK to decide not to have a hair transplant. Some men shave their heads and are fine with that. Some men think there are other things they would rather do with their money. Take a little while and just look at your life and where you want to go and how you see yourself 5 or 10 years from now. Not just the hair part of it, but everything overall. Where do you want to be in life and how can you get there. If after a while of thinking about that you realize you really want your hair back (or decide hair isn't a big deal to you), then you'll be in a much better position to make a decision that's right for you and you probably won't be so paranoid about it.

Another thing you can do to make your list of clinics smaller and feel better about a decision to go with a certain clinic is to take some time to decide what style and type of hair transplant suits you best. Most Drs seem to have a certain style of doing hair transplants. What I mean is one Dr will usually do straight hairlines, another will usually do rounded hairlines, and others will usually do widows peak type of hair lines. Then there's some who are much more conservative and do high hairlines, ones who usually do aggressive, low hairlines, some do much more temple point work than others, etc. Find out what you would want your hair to look like and then look at photos from those 30 clinics and weed out the ones who don't generally do the look you want to see yourself with. Look at some older photos of yourself with hair. Most people generally want to get back to their previous look. If that's what you want then find a clinic who seems to create that type of look. Some of the clinics you rule out may be excellent at hair transplants and have a ton of great results, but if you're not going to feel like the look is "you" when it's done, then you will have been better off choosing someone else. Don't be afraid to rule out great clinics due to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

@BeHappy thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it! I think I'll wait a few years, at the moment my hair is buzzed a #1 and actually doesn't look too bad and it's just so easy. Of course I'll still choose hair any day! But as for now I'll wait a bit. Thanks again for your reply! 

A few tips:

-Look at patient submitted cases for a rough idea of 'Yelp reviews' of the physician.

-Look at surgeon submitted cases for a rough idea of what the surgeon themselves views as their 'ideal outcome'.

-Review multiple forums and try to keep a log of patient cases for those you're considering strongly in a growly type notebook. Give each case a rough "1-10" rating so you're not just relying on memory and posts from forum users. This is obviously extremely difficult with submitted cases, but it is far better than what we've had in the past and certainly there are very few cosmetic (or surgical) procedure in existence that have the database of patient submitted cases that HRN has accumulated. Be very grateful for this site. 

-Be careful to separate liking the surgeon personally from the quality of their results. The former doesn't mean $hit for the most part; the latter is key.

-Try to look into the state medical board where the physician is located. Most United States, Canadian and UK surgeons have to report disciplinary action to their respective boards. If you can find court records, look up how many times they've been sued.

-Look up their actual Yelp page, and mentions of them on other forums. You might be surprised at what you discover. Be careful to separate the trolling/internet noise from actual insightful criticism. If you figure out how to do this, please let me know.

-Trust your gut, it matters more than you realize.

Edited by bismarck