Do implanted hairs grow before shedding?

Hi,

Do the hairs (that are part of an implanted FUE graft) grow before they shed around 3/4 weeks?

I had a HT 2 weeks ago and I would like to know if this can be a way to determine whether some hair roots implanted have survived the transplant journey to the recipient area. I was told I had weak roots so I am concerned if/how many of the roots survived (and how many have died forever).

I can see some little implanted hairs which I suspect have not grown since the graft was implanted.

Many thanks,

Nylonhair

Edited by Nylonhair

Sometimes hair starts growing from day 1.  It just means you're ahead of everybody else by 3-4 months.  It means nothing.  Typically this will go away when you scrub off the crusting. Vellus-like hair will start coming in, (if no PRP was done at the time of the procedure), 3-4 months post op.  A year later you'll see a matured result.  

Who told you about having weak roots? How they did determine this? I'm assuming they're talking about the donor hair?  If so, why would they do a transplant? To have a weak result? Who did your work?

On 9/25/2019 at 6:11 AM, Nylonhair said:

Hi,

Do the hairs (that are part of an implanted FUE graft) grow before they shed around 3/4 weeks?

I had a HT 2 weeks ago and I would like to know if this can be a way to determine whether some hair roots implanted have survived the transplant journey to the recipient area. I was told I had weak roots so I am concerned if/how many of the roots survived (and how many have died forever).

I can see some little implanted hairs which I suspect have not grown since the graft was implanted.

Many thanks,

Nylonhair

I had 3 transplants. For me all have been the same. I would say 98% grew from the start all the way to about the 1 month mark and the ones that did fall broke off with the scabs. Then at the 1 month mark I noticed hair in my hands after every wash until the ugly phase.  

It is not unusual for some of the grafts to continue growing after being transplanted. 

Eventually they will go dormant and shed and start a new growth cycle 3-4 months after shedding.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I occasionally have a patient that calls me 2-3 weeks after surgery and tell me none of the hairs in the grafts fell out and they actually look longer. I explain that they have grown but don't be surprised if  they fall out with in the next few week and sure enough they almost always call back and say you were right they all fell out. 

is there any documented case online of someone where the grafts grew without shedding?  We always hear about this mythical 1% that their grafts never shed but i don't think i have ever seen such a case..  Sure 30% or even 50% not shedding is possible but never seen a documented case with the higher %'s grow straight away without shedding..

Edited by BaldingBogger
  • Like 1

All grafts will shed eventually as the follicles cycle through their respective phases.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thank you all for the responses to my initial query. Sorry, I am only now seeing some of them and hence the late reply.

What I was ultimately trying to understand from the experts, and those who have been through a full HT journey, is whether very small transplanted hairs, 2-4 weeks post surgery, that do NOT look to have grown (as compared to most of the other hairs that have grown longer a little bit), are they a indication that the hair follicle has died during the journey of the transplant (perhaps what they call an 'unsuccessful graft')?

Or, to explain myself in another way, should I expect ALL transplant hairs that happen to remain on scalp by around 4th week (or whenever the shedding phase happens to occur - immaterial) to have grown in some length? And therefore, for those which grown 0% (i.e. do not grow) at the time of the shedding phase, should I take this as an indication that these hair follicles didn't survive the hair transplant journey/trauma (at day 0, say) and have died leaving a short hair strand just lodged in my head?

Many thanks,

Nylonhair 

Edited by Nylonhair

Thank you @Dr. Glenn Charles, that is reassuring to know. 

I guess I just found it concerning when viewing my scalp on the 4-5th week that some hairs had grown quite noticeably in length whilst in nearby areas some hairs had remained had the same stubbly short length. 

Good to know that this is nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks,

Nylonhair

9 hours ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

Some of the transplanted hairs will fall out before growing and some will grow a little before falling out. Either way it is not an indication as to whether or not the hairs will grow.

Dr. Glenn,

What would you say in my case where all the Hair Transplanted right from the day I washed my hair for the first time have shed ? which was just after 9 days ! Can Hair also shed as early as 9 days ? It is a sign of worry for me ? That I am seeing a reverse pattern that all my Transplanted Hair have shed right on day 9 ?