Medical Conditions That Cause Hair Loss

• Administrators

What are some of the medical conditions that you guys know cause hair loss? I know thyroid disorders cause hair loss, also for women menopause and birth can cause hair loss. But what are some others?

Medical Conditions That Cause Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The most common, hereditary. 

Physical or emotional shock can have an effect. Not sure if this is a medical condition but it is contributory. Telogen effluvium is typically temporary.

Chemotherapy

Hormonal changes, some of which you've outlined already,

Alopecia areata,

Scalp infections like ringworm,

Trichotillomania,

Many medications which I can gladly list if you want me to,

Hair treatments which can lead to traction alopecia, or hot oil which results in scarring,

Lupus,

Significant weight loss,

Smoking,

Auto immune diseases, some of which have already been outlined.

Anemia,

Seborrheic dermatitis,

I'm sure there's a lot more.....

9 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

does thinking about hair loss cause more hair loss? lets just add that to the list so as to make people remember theres more to life than thinking about this stuff 😀

Stress is not the culprit but can exacerbate the issue....Stop thinking about it and get on a regimen.....

• Administrators
12 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

does thinking about hair loss cause more hair loss? lets just add that to the list so as to make people remember theres more to life than thinking about this stuff 😀

Self-fulfilling prophecy. Strange that now when I see hair running down my drain I don't really worry about it anymore. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.