FUT-FUE-FUT

Are there any drawbacks to going FUT-FUE-FUT.  I had 2100 FUT in 2011, 2300 FUE in 2018, and now I am thinking of FUT for the crown area.  I thought I was satisfied after my 2nd transplant, and I am except for the crown.  I have absolutely no desire to go through the shaved donor area ever again.  I looked like a fool for 4 months.  I wear my hair longer so modern hairstyles are just not for me.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Why should it be a problem? As long as you have elasticity.....Your give should be about 10% less than the previous time.  So perhaps 1800? It will probably look 5% more dense than what you currently have.  So, is it worth all the money you're going to spend not to have fullness? Are you on meds? Have you considered SMP? Think long and hard.  Consider it is normal to be thinner in the crown.  Everyone has a "dusting" there.

I don't think so.  As long as you have elasticity it should be OK.  The fact you had FUE might have an impact on numbers harvested but, if it was done properly, this number would be negligible.  

With regards to the rep you spoke with....If you hadn't had an FUE - there would still be some stretching of the skin anyway! What does that mean? That you can't have a 2nd procedure? I think they better get a new rep pronto!

On 9/20/2019 at 9:30 AM, LaserCap said:

Why should it be a problem? As long as you have elasticity.....Your give should be about 10% less than the previous time.  So perhaps 1800? It will probably look 5% more dense than what you currently have.  So, is it worth all the money you're going to spend not to have fullness? Are you on meds? Have you considered SMP? Think long and hard.  Consider it is normal to be thinner in the crown.  Everyone has a "dusting" there.

I have never taken any meds.  I wonder if there is a benefit to FUT-FUE-FUE.  I wonder how SMP fits in with longer hair.  I refuse to buzz down to the current fad.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

If you'v e never taken meds, I would encourage you to consider them for a year and see what they do.  You can then make a decision if you should continue them.

The benefit of doing any type of procedure is to have more hair, regardless of what type of procedure you choose to move forward with - or in what order.  You are actually relying o the doctor to discuss your options at that particular moment.

SMP will give the illusion of having more hair  It will help take away the "see-through" effect by taking away the contrast between dark hair and light scalp.  Sp, if you're blnd, this would not help much.  If you have black hair. consider it.

Buzzing down does not apply to what we're discussing.....but you do have that option, particularly if you decide to move forward with SMP.

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

If you'v e never taken meds, I would encourage you to consider them for a year and see what they do.  You can then make a decision if you should continue them.

The benefit of doing any type of procedure is to have more hair, regardless of what type of procedure you choose to move forward with - or in what order.  You are actually relying o the doctor to discuss your options at that particular moment.

SMP will give the illusion of having more hair  It will help take away the "see-through" effect by taking away the contrast between dark hair and light scalp.  Sp, if you're blnd, this would not help much.  If you have black hair. consider it.

Buzzing down does not apply to what we're discussing.....but you do have that option, particularly if you decide to move forward with SMP.

As stated above, the op is in his 70s. I doubt any available treatment will lead to regrowth or thickening of his existing hair from what I’ve seen over the years it’s usually guys under 40 who have the best chance at regrowth/thickening

Edited by LonelyGraft

• Administrators

I don't believe there is any issues with going strip again. However, you may have less grafts available, but that is expected after having two previous surgeries. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.