Having a surgery in a month from now with Doctor Konior - Is there anything I should bring from home? (Not US Citizen).

Hey guys!

I am having my surgery at the beginning of November with Doctor Konior (VERY EXCITED) I am not from USA and the flight will be long (12 hours), I want to come ready and whatever I can bring from home that will help me would be better.

Is there anything you suggest that I should bring from home that I am not getting from the Doctor? Like specific cream\specific clothing (I read somewhere that it's better to come with button shirt for the surgery day).

I am wearing hair piece and we are going to transplant in the front only so I will have to remove the hair piece during that time and I rather not be seen in the public for the next 2 weeks until I attach it again (Behind the hairline of course so it won't touch the grafts). 

So anything you can recommend me to bring from home, I will appreciate that so much, again thank you!!!

A button-down shirt is a great idea..that way you don't have to pull anything over the grafted area.

Bring a neck pillow. This will come in handy particularly on the airplane. 

I would wait at least 7 days before wearing a piece.  And, if you haven't already, have any tape removed from the piece and add clips.

Nice heavy socks may be a good idea.  OR rooms are typically kept cold...they will likely have blankets but your feet will freeze.

Are you on a particular diet?  If not, don't worry about it.

Have your phone and your charger with you. You may want to have the staff take photos throughout the day.  This will help you remember....You'll be under local and will forget most of what you're told.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Great post @LaserCap  

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

56 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

A button-down shirt is a great idea..that way you don't have to pull anything over the grafted area.

Bring a neck pillow. This will come in handy particularly on the airplane. 

I would wait at least 7 days before wearing a piece.  And, if you haven't already, have any tape removed from the piece and add clips.

Nice heavy socks may be a good idea.  OR rooms are typically kept cold...they will likely have blankets but your feet will freeze.

Are you on a particular diet?  If not, don't worry about it.

Have your phone and your charger with you. You may want to have the staff take photos throughout the day.  This will help you remember....You'll be under local and will forget most of what you're told.

THANK YOU!! Really detailed response, thank you so much.

I will bring Neck pillow, about the hair piece, I will wait 2 weeks before attaching it again (Not on the recipe area).

What did you mean by any tape removed from the piece? Currently I am wearing the piece and I am coming to US 5 days before my surgery to remove it (My recipe area will be clean and healthy).

Yes, I am on a particular diet, I already ensured that in my hotel room there will be kitchen with everything, I will cook meals before in case I won't be able to after the surgery for the next few days. 

How about the Pills that I have to take post op? Does the doctor is going to give them to me or I have to go somewhere locally and purchase them? I have also read that people are putting Witch Hazel or Aloe vera, I will bring that also :D

again, thank you sir.

THANK YOU!! Really detailed response, thank you so much.

I will bring Neck pillow, about the hair piece, I will wait 2 weeks before attaching it again (Not on the recipe area).

What did you mean by any tape removed from the piece? Currently I am wearing the piece and I am coming to US 5 days before my surgery to remove it (My recipe area will be clean and healthy).

Yes, I am on a particular diet, I already ensured that in my hotel room there will be kitchen with everything, I will cook meals before in case I won't be able to after the surgery for the next few days. 

How about the Pills that I have to take post op? Does the doctor is going to give them to me or I have to go somewhere locally and purchase them? I have also read that people are putting Witch Hazel or Aloe vera, I will bring that also :D

again, thank you sir.

53 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

(also a patient of DrK) I remember them giving me some pills but i believe I had to purchase the rest myself. If you are staying at Comfort Suites there is a Walgreens that is 4 mins walk away and is open 24 hours. 

Oh I see, Do you think Comfort suites is a good hotel to stay for 2 weeks?

That supermarket (Joe's) is awesome, definitely stock up on lots of food the day before the surgery. I remember that particular Walgreens had a really nice circular shaped ice pack that you can fill with water, and then it will conform to your neck.

I liked the Comfort Suites, it really depends on what level of hotel you're used to. It's no frills, but I wouldn't call it run down or anything. The nice thing is there's a back door you can use to come and go, so you don't have to pass through the lobby every time you come and go while the newly transplanted area is exposed.

I have to follow a very specific diet myself, and there are a lot of different options at Joe's that cater to various dietary restrictions. Lots of good restaurants to order from as well. Let me know if you are looking for recommendations.

• Like 1

I don't think any rooms at the Comfort Suites have kitchens but as mentioned earlier Pete's Fresh market has a lot of choices including a hot counter where you can put together some meals.  There are microwaves and fridge freezers in the rooms.  There's a Starbucks a bit further afield if you don't mind a short walk (be careful as the roads aren't that friendly to pedestrians).

A spray bottle would be useful for saline.  A few different hats / caps so you don't have to go out looking weird.

I think there is a Walmart very close but you would need to take an Uber.  Probably 6-7 minutes drive away.  The own brand 'Equate' medications there are quite a bit cheaper than the named brands.

Comfort Suites is quite dated but really convenient.  I've booked my next visit there too.  I never had any issue with it.  The lobby area has some seating that you can sit in the corner with your laptop without being noticed rather than be stuck in the rooms.  There's some seats out the back as well that are shaded.  Free coffee is quite good.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day