Interesting things told by dermatologist.

Hey all,

I'm living in England at the moment (moved from NZ), and visited a dermatologist about my hair.

I'd been on .5mg of finasteride, and wanted to up the dose to 1mg, as I was losing ground.

I also wanted to check if I had signs of DUPA. I asked the derm, but they didn't really seem to know what I meant.

He checked the back of my head (with no instruments) and said the donor looks fine, and could facilitate a transplant (I thought it needed to be checked in a different way). 

He moved to offer me FUE down the road, as a scar-less procedure. This is when I felt like things weren't up to scratch. 

He also said, that even if I developed DUPA, being on medication would buffer the follicles in the safe zone and a transplant would be possible - is this true?

I was under the impression that DUPA simply meant no transplants, irrespective of medications.

Is this indeed the incorrect way to assess DUPA? And can medications enable a HT even with it?

Thanks everyone.

Let me expand on two points here.

1. If you have a hair transplant at all do NOT have it with this guy. Telling you FUE is scarless is a straight lie and the doctor either doesn't know what he's talking about or is a con artist. Neither is good.

2. If you have DUPA and not DPA do not have a transplant at all, because the transplanted hair is no more likely to survive than the hair on top of your head and you'll just be wasting money.