Contemplating a HT, need advice.

Hi , been thinking about getting a ht for my hairline for a while. Wanted to know what the more experienced members on the forum think. Should I get one? Can I come out of a ht worse then I alrdy am?

I'm 30 yrs old, my hairline has basically been the same since I can remember, and I really do not like my hairline, but I'm wondering about the risk reward of a HT at this point, I don't want to rush it. main concern is losing some native hair and gaining a thiner hair overall. Is it worth it? What would u do?

2019-09-15 07.25.03.jpg

2019-09-15 07.29.11.jpg

Edited by deguy09

Hi

I think your hair looks good, yeah, your temples look to have receded a bit but maybe give it a few years before any HT, til 33-34 and see if your hair loss has continued or stabilized, and in the mean time do plenty of research for an appropriate surgeon.

Good Luck!

Unless there is something the pictures aren't showing your level of loss is very minimal and I'd absolutely not mess with it. You can definitely come out of a transplant worse off than you are now, particularly when you are working with more native hair.

Have you tried any medical treatments at all?

Hard to tell from those photos.

You may not have noticed much hair loss of late but it could happen in latter years.  That's something to bear in mind.  My dad had hair like yours and lost most of it from 40-55.  Having a HT draws a line in the sand and you will have to be prepared to play catch up in the future.

You could probably get some hairline work done but the density might not match the existing forelock and look odd.  Depends on the quality of doc you go to as well as your hair qualities and density of transplant.

I would start by seeing if you can tolerate finasteride for 6 months, then consider HT.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I appreciate the replays.

And no I haven't tried any medication, my concern is less about the density as it is about the hairline that bothers me when I look at it. My dad has pretty much the same hairline and he is 62 yrs old and so does my brother and I have had this same hairline since I was 21. 

I went to a meeting with a Dr Maras's HDC representative a few days ago hoping he will give me the push I need to go throw with it, but he said he doesn't think there is a need for a HT, and kinda told me to let it go, but the hairline does bother me and I would love to wake up one day to a hairline I like. so I'm kinda stuck and confused.

Edited by deguy09

I agree with the doctor completely. This is a perfectly normal "mature" hairline. As others have stated, it's pretty early to tell whether you're going to suffer some natural loss or not, and you do NOT want to find that out after you've already wasted a bunch of grafts chasing a hairline you never had to begin with.

Additionally, since you don't have much hair loss to speak of, there are decent odds that your final result will look weird and you'll be far worse off than when you started.

While I tend to agree that you're not in "need" of a hair transplant and you have a perfectly appropriate mature hairline, I also don't think it's out of the question for you to want to alter the hairline for purely cosmetic/aesthetic reasons  - MPB/recession or not. If this is something you want to do, you'd need to take into account all the factors every other person takes into account when making this decision... Have consultations with several top surgeons to evaluate the quality of your donor area, any miniaturization levels of your hair, genetic/family history and make a decision based on what your projected hair loss pattern likely is. Based on what you've shared here, it probably wouldn't take much to lower the corners just enough to give you the cosmetic look you may be looking for. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If you don't like it, change it....Forelock seems strong but I gather the temporal areas are causing some distress.  I can understand having a bell-shaped curve hairline.  Given it is such a prominent area, I would think off hand, at least two procedures unless you can find a doctor that can mimic the density you're enjoying elsewhere.

Taking into account your entire family seems to be enjoying the same pattern, it is likely you will as well....but before I put my foot in my mouth, it would behoove you to talk to a doctor about medical therapy.  If you've lost, you will continue losing.  So get to it.

Have a couple of consultations and get informed.  I would then research and look at plenty of photos, particularly of those similar to your own case.  

Your seem to be enjoying a mature hairline so designing a "continuation of the hairline" should not be a big deal with someone with experience.  Just make sure they blunt and not slope down to avoid looking somewhat feminine.  

It is difficult to tell from the photos if you are experiencing any thinning elsewhere....

• Administrators

It's hard to tell from the photos. Also, what are your plans? Do you want to lower it completely, fill in the temples? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.