How many grafts should I opt for?

I am a 38 year old male.  I have been taking propecia (1mg) and rogaine (5%) for over the last decade.  Over the last 6 months I made the mistake of stopping propecia and significant hair loss on my crown/vertex increased accelerated significantly. 

My goal is to recover thick density in the crown/vertex area through FUE with a highly reputable surgeon in the US.  How many grafts (very rough range) would be optimal for me?  I can only extract from the back of my head; the sides are thinning out too. 

20190914_145640.jpg

20190914_145659.jpg

20190914_145724.jpg

• Administrators

Your donor looks extremely thin. I would make sure you don’t have DUPA.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Assuming I don't have DUPA, and given both the density of the donor and recipient areas, what would be a rough number of FUE grafts to start with?  I can't donate from the sides of my head unfortunately.  Also, there is a lot of unwanted hair at the base of the back of the head (occipital area?).  Can this hair be extracted or is it considered too thin? Thanks.

The only way you will have a thick crown is to get a hair system.  Even then, it could be difficult to match the sides to a thick top. 

Your best bet would probably be to reset expectations, enjoy what you have, or shave your head. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sorry to tell you, but in my opinion your donor even on back of your head looks to be pretty thin, so taking grafts from even the back to fill in your crown and midscalp with those grafts doesn’t mean they won’t also thin and fall out in a few years time, why waste the money and thin out your donor further.

If you want to fill-in your crown and midscalp look into microneedling plus the big 3.

My microneedling thread for example:

Edited by CosmoKramer

• 2 weeks later...

I visited 2 very well known US surgeons. Neither thought I had DUPA. One said if I had it, I would have lost a lot more hair at this age. I'm 38.

One recommends FUE, the other FUT. They both said 1500 to 2000 grafts should do it. The surgeon who recommends FUT warned that FUE may result in patchiness in future.

What are peoples' thoughts on this?  should I be wary?