Where were you today 18 years ago

• Administrators

As an American, I want to remember the fallen. The event that changed the way we live today. Everything from travel to going to a concert was impacted by this event. 

It’s crazy to think this happened 18 years ago. That means high school kids today don’t even remember it. I remember I was a sophomore in high school. I spent the whole day watching the news as the events unraveled. I was shocked, everyone was at a loss for words. 

I know we have members from all over the world, but where were you guys and what was your initial reaction?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

For myself, the memories are still so vivid, raw and emotional when I look back.

I was there that unimaginably horrific morning, a block away, just arrived at my job by Wall Street. I was very young then too but it still feels like it was yesterday.

Each year this day fills me with anger, sadness, hope and appreciation ... especially to all those the sacrificed themselves for others ... and still do.

• Sad 1

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

For myself, the memories are still so vivid, raw and emotional when I look back.

I was there that unimaginably horrific morning, a block away, just arrived at my job by Wall Street. I was very young then too but it still feels like it was yesterday.

Each year this day fills me with anger, sadness, hope and appreciation ... especially to all those the sacrificed themselves for others ... and still do.

Wow you were in NY? That’s crazy. It must be a lot more personal to you. I can’t even imagine. Crazy to think this was before social media and smart phones.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow you were in NY? That’s crazy. It must be a lot more personal to you. I can’t even imagine. Crazy to think this was before social media and smart phones.

Yes, I’m a life-long New Yorker.

Yeah, it’s very personal for me, it always puts a lot of things in perspective for me and how lucky I am, and thankful, so I thought I’d share since you took the time to make a reflective post. 🙂

I was in Dallas....With a hair restoration practice....Watching the TV in one of the patients' waiting rooms....tragic. Wish I'd been there to help. And since you did share......

Like most I've been to Pearl Harbor, paid my condolences. I could actually "see" the planes attacking...Eerie.  I became enraged when I saw people from Japan visiting.  I actually had to go to one of the guards and explain what was happening to me.  And you know what's going to happen years from now? People from Saudi Arabia are going to come down to NY as tourists.  While I may be generalizing...people overall have no clue.....nor respect.

Next time you see a soldier, a public servant....buy them coffee, buy them lunch....Help your community and fellow man.

40 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

I was in Dallas....With a hair restoration practice....Watching the TV in one of the patients' waiting rooms....tragic. Wish I'd been there to help. And since you did share......

Like most I've been to Pearl Harbor, paid my condolences. I could actually "see" the planes attacking...Eerie.  I became enraged when I saw people from Japan visiting.  I actually had to go to one of the guards and explain what was happening to me.  And you know what's going to happen years from now? People from Saudi Arabia are going to come down to NY as tourists.  While I may be generalizing...people overall have no clue.....nor respect.

Next time you see a soldier, a public servant....buy them coffee, buy them lunch....Help your community and fellow man.

You got mad because Japanese people were visiting Pearl Harbor? And you’re going to be mad when people from Saudi Arabia visit ny? What kind of overgeneralized bs is that? The people that are visiting have nothing to do with what happened in these tragedies. You think they made the shots? Wow. Get a grip dude. You actually went to a security guard to warn him that you’re enraged Japanese people are at Pearl Harbor? Lolllll you realize the biggest minority in Hawaii is Japanese.

what if I visited the Alamo and became enraged at all Mexicans living in Texas or visiting? Does that even make sense?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jj51702 said:

You got mad because Japanese people were visiting Pearl Harbor? And you’re going to be mad when people from Saudi Arabia visit ny? What kind of overgeneralized bs is that? The people that are visiting have nothing to do with what happened in these tragedies. You think they made the shots? Wow. Get a grip dude. You actually went to a security guard to warn him that you’re enraged Japanese people are at Pearl Harbor? Lolllll you realize the biggest minority in Hawaii is Japanese.

what if I visited the Alamo and became enraged at all Mexicans living in Texas or visiting? Does that even make sense?

Of course it makes sense....I also realize how many immigrants are here....and have come since 911.  Just the way I felt at the time.  

I hope people are mindful of what it means to come here......

• Administrators

Would be crazy to be getting a hair transplant at the time. Imagine if you were in New York having a procedure. 

View my thread

Recall was at work when the Bloomberg terminals started flashing about a plane hitting the WTC.. Just recall vividly those early minutes of total confusion and everyone thinking it was a bad accident.  Then the next plane hit and everyone knew what was happening..

A guy i worked with had left the Cantor Fitzgerald office just 6 months before.

I was also just saying earlier its crazy, lots of 18 year olds wouldn't have lived through it.  I bet kids these days can't  believe their eyes the first time they see the 9/11 footage..  Nothing like that ever captured on live TV in history.

Regardless of who was ultimately responsible it was an unbelievable loss of life and RIP to all those who lost their lives.

Edited by BaldingBogger

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

Of course it makes sense....I also realize how many immigrants are here....and have come since 911.  Just the way I felt at the time.  

No, your comment does not make sense....generalizing your predisposed assumptions of an ethnic group does not make it right or moral because of what a small minority of a similar ethnicity did to others in years past....if that is your justifying logic then I have some Native American friends that could assume the same of you.

So according to you people of a similar ethnic background that may want to visit grounds of a tragedy to get an understanding of why scum bag people of their similar background did such horrible things or pay respects is off limits and triggering to you???...sorry not sorry but that’s sounds so ridiculous and obsurd. Should German visitors visiting the WW2 & Holocaust memorial , Vietnamese visitors visiting the Vietnam memorial, Korean visitors visiting the Korean War Memorial in D.C. all be reported to “guards” then too???? Would they make you so uneasy and trigger you to report them too??

Also, who are you to say and assume what other people are mindful of when the come here? It’s obvious that people coming to this country either on vacation or to legally live here do so because they want all the things that make this country great.

• Like 2

I was working and a girl who always had headphones on announced the attack on America.  I witnessed the Challenger explosion first hand in 1986 in Florida.  I was in school when JFK was murdered in 1963.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

3 hours ago, LaserCap said:

No...it doesn’t make sense. Especially if I go off your profile pic you are likely an immigrant yourself. Your comment about Saudi Arabians visiting ny was also not a result of “how you felt at the time.”

You’re generally a very helpful poster on here but your comments in this thread are pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by jj51702

1 hour ago, CosmoKramer said:

No, your comment does not make sense....generalizing your predisposed assumptions of an ethnic group does not make it right or moral because of what a small minority of a similar ethnicity did to others in years past....if that is your justifying logic then I have some Native American friends that could assume the same of you.

So according to you people of a similar ethnic background that may want to visit grounds of a tragedy to get an understanding of why scum bag people of their similar background did such horrible things or pay respects is off limits and triggering to you???...sorry not sorry but that’s sounds so ridiculous and obsurd. Should German visitors visiting the WW2 & Holocaust memorial , Vietnamese visitors visiting the Vietnam memorial, Korean visitors visiting the Korean War Memorial in D.C. all be reported to “guards” then too???? Would they make you so uneasy and trigger you to report them too??

Also, who are you to say and assume what other people are mindful of when the come here? It’s obvious that people coming to this country either on vacation or to legally live here do so because they want all the things that make this country great.

I couldn’t have said it better myself cosmo 👍🏻

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dazed said:

I was working and a girl who always had headphones on announced the attack on America.  I witnessed the Challenger explosion first hand in 1986 in Florida.  I was in school when JFK was murdered in 1963.

Ok ok ok you've lived through some things 😅

View my thread

Was at the peak of my life, the best moments especially with that carefree natural hair ( 1000 per cm2 lol exaggerating ) but i guess no surgery can bring that back ever

It's correct to say HT provides an illusion only

so, I was out of illusion 18 years ago :) 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, HLPToronto said:

Was at the peak of my life, the best moments especially with that carefree natural hair ( 1000 per cm2 lol exaggerating ) but i guess no surgery can bring that back ever

It's correct to say HT provides an illusion only

so, I was out of illusion 18 years ago :) 

LOL I meant where were you on 9/11 when the terrorists attacks happened. But yes my high school hair was a thing of beauty as well. I would take 30-40 minutes everyday to make my hair look perfect. 

• Like 1

View my thread

5 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Of course you're right.  I am just talking about how I felt at the time. And I was not reporting on anyone.  I was reporting more about myself and how I felt.  

5 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Of course you're right.  I am just talking about how I felt at the time. And I was not reporting on anyone.  I was reporting more about myself and how I felt.  

I appreciate your reply and I understand that reacting with unintended bias and anger towards an ethnicity at a moment of tragedy is just being human based on instilled fears, I’m guilt of that too but facts and information and education tempers that.

My criticism of your comments were more so based on the umbridge you took at an ethnicity of visitors touring/educating/paying respects to memorials of which their own ethnicity caused tragedy....I feel the opposite...I want to see more of the such so they can see up close and personal what the consequences of ones people’s actions caused and to take that back to their country and family and friends to not let such tragedies happen again.

• Like 1

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was stood at the photocopier at work (small family business) in the north of England. My brother called me through to another room where he had BBC news on the tv. That footage of the first tower ablaze. I remember a feeling like a gut punch as the second plane hit, and realisation instantly dawning that it's a terrorist attack. I remember thinking 'everything's changed now. The world won't be the same from now on'. 

The sheer evil of it all was just chilling. RIP to all who didn't make it home that day.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I remember having lunch with my mother at home in Ireland when the TV showed live footage of the tower on fire and the second plane crashing into the second tower and those people jumping from the tower which is a horrific memory to have . 

I  went to New York a few years ago and made a visit to the memoral museum of the tragedy which was very sad. RIP to all.

• Administrators

It's particularly interesting to get the perspective of others that weren't in the states. At the time, the twin towers were the symbol of the west. New York was considered the epicenter of the world. I believe that's changed a bit now, especially since tech companies are located in Silicon valley, but that's a whole other discussion entirely. I value your input guys great read.

View my thread

22 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

LOL I meant where were you on 9/11 when the terrorists attacks happened. But yes my high school hair was a thing of beauty as well. I would take 30-40 minutes everyday to make my hair look perfect. 

Lol, I was at the residence in my university days with a few other folks and we watched on TV.... the entire situation 

it scared me ( i still remember  ) never ever seen anything like that - a plane head on with a skyscraper , i called my NY Aunt that time too to make sure she's fine 

18 years ago?  

Im in college, 9/11 happens and i join the military right away and with one of the toughest fighting forces in the world.  Also, take part in operations only a few can imagine.  I’m Probably in the best physical shape of my life. My body is ripped. I feel so confident so strong.

Fast forward, 9/11 still a bad memory.  I wish we can all turn back time and wish it never happened.  

Now, I get out of the military with all the stuff and want a restoration as im losing hair.  Thinking just want to work, have a family, settle down, lots of friends lost and you just want to start a new path and give this hairloss problem some fixing. You know, so you want to live with some hair and relax as it bothers you.  Come the forums, you look at forum owners and mods talking about strip and then comes fue talks.  Some recommend docs are mentioned and advocated for.  Then you got folks telling you hairline artists and etc what have you..  Your all excited thinking maybe one less headache, hair loss, will be out the door soon.  So you go and are like some guy shelling thousands of dollars with the money you earned by risking your life literally.  Shit hits the fan for numerous reasons that coulda been prevented and you are going through some nightmarish limbo.  

Wasn’t someone that needed repairs presurgery days and now having folks staring at the scalp with wtf faces all the damn time.  God I wish i can turn back time and not be had or failed to be informed, and harmed to this extent etc.  you really wonder how some folks can sleep after making a person feel this way or have them suffer.  

You know how hard it is to have a forward front facing job trying to hold meetings with folks within a few feet away from you?  Its pretty tough and it’s really sad.  Totally screwed my world upside down.  Even makes going to the gym sad as you no longer want to be out much and it affects your health.  Hopefully, can get life back by an ethical and caring professional and we will see and whoever it is, the community will see. 

One things for sure, pretty lucky to be alive.  Rip to all lives lost as a result of this dark day.

Hope everyone gets what they seek.  Wish all of you the best