Motorised vs Manual Extraction and Healing in the Donor Area

Edsarn2017

I had my fourth FUE surgery three weeks ago and have suffered some discomfort in my donor area. My grafts were extracted via a manual device in my first three surgeries, and by and motorised device in my fourth surgery (similar graft extraction in my first and fourth operation, and the same punch diameters .8mm).

My recovery time has been substantially slower after the motorised extraction. I have been very sore and the discomfort has impacted upon my sleep. I've had a follow up examination and there is no infection in my donor area.

I was just wondering a) whether there is any research on this, and b) if there is anyone who has experienced both type of extractions to see if what I'm experiencing is normal - and thus recovery after motorised extractions takes longer to recover from. I understand that the soreness maybe due to the number of operations, but I thought I would raise this.

Cheers! 🙂 

9133 FUE grafts over 4 operations:

1)  Dr De Reys - 3000 grafts in 2012; 2) Dr De Reys - 1800 grafts in 2014; 3) Dr Raghu Reddy - 1200 grafts in 2017; 4)  Dr Arshad - 3133 grafts in 2019

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/54899-9133-fue-grafts-3000-dr-de-reys-in-2013-1800-dr-de-reys-2014-1200-dr-reddy-2017-3133-dr-arshad-2019/

I had two hair transplants one with motorized and one Manual...the difference is day and night motorized I had the burnt feeling and the discomfort for up to 6 moonths plus donor left not in the best condition and Manual fue 3rd couldn’t feel a thing and healed super quick and there is not sign of extraction in my donor area u can only see the scaring from the first transplant with the motorized punch 

Just now, Uncle drew said:

I had two hair transplants one with motorized and one Manual...the difference is day and night motorized I had the burnt feeling and the discomfort for up to 6 moonths plus donor left not in the best condition and Manual fue 3rd couldn’t feel a thing and healed super quick and there is not sign of extraction in my donor area u can only see the scaring from the first transplant with the motorized punch 

3rd day I meant healed not pain no discomfort not signs of surgery 

14 hours ago, Uncle drew said:

I've got the burnt feeling too!! My donor is definitely much sorer than my other surgeries and is still pink in places, nearly four weeks post surgery. 

14 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Was the 4th FUE done by the same doctor as the manual FUE's?

My first FUE used a 0.8mm motorised punch and my entire donor was shiny for about 10-14 days after and I was a bit sore (some bruising and discomfort).

I just had another FUE undertaken by a different doctor a few months ago who used the same 0.8mm motorised punch, along with a smaller manual punch for other parts of my donor; and my donor wasn't shiny or sore at all.

I think it ultimately might depend on the surgeon. 

I did not experience shininess or bruising, but my donor is still quite pink, whereas after my manual surgeries, there was very little pinkness.

The surgeons were different, so I agree this will be a factor. Just wondered if others had noticed this.

9133 FUE grafts over 4 operations:

1)  Dr De Reys - 3000 grafts in 2012; 2) Dr De Reys - 1800 grafts in 2014; 3) Dr Raghu Reddy - 1200 grafts in 2017; 4)  Dr Arshad - 3133 grafts in 2019

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/54899-9133-fue-grafts-3000-dr-de-reys-in-2013-1800-dr-de-reys-2014-1200-dr-reddy-2017-3133-dr-arshad-2019/