The Dreaded Halo Effect - Any Genuinely workable Solutions?

Hi Guys.

Had a transplant in Canada some years ago. Overall good, but there is still one situation I struggle with a lot and I am wondering if anyone here with similar experience or different has some advice to offer, as I am sure you are probably familiar with it. I call it the halo effect, but I don't know if it really goes by that name lol.

So because of relative low density of hair transplants compared to natural full head of hair, when someone is looking at you at eye level or they are slightly shorter than you and the light is behind you, the impression of hair more or less completely disappears and you catch this really pretty **ghastly** view through the scalp with a very thin stand of hairs. No matter using concealer or having hair short (aside from shaved really really short) this impression is had whenever looking in a mirror with light shining from behind, especially daylight. And of course it is impossible to avoid this lighting situation outdoors with sunlight.

It really is a bit of a confidence drainer, as I have seen people's faces fall or do a double take when they catch a glimpse of this (I mean, people I am talking to at the time...not transplantees). It isn't just imagination either; it actually happens. I am long enough in the tooth with my transplant to know.

Other than constantly try to orient myself in space so as not to have natural light parallel or low behind me (which seems too much interference with life) I am not sure how to tackle this. I generally use concealer of the sprinkle on dust variety, which works well enough for what it is, but again, in THIS situation, the view through the scalp means you can clearly see the black dust sitting like a carpet on the scalp which adds to the ghastliness.

I should emphasize that I am not majorly troubled or insecure about my HT results most of the time, but this particular situation is something I have struggled / am struggling to find a workable solution for. I am sure I could work up an image if I am not being clear, but I am pretty sure you will know in general what I am talking about.

Edited by challengedforest

Have you considered another HT procedure to add density to the previously transplanted area? Not sure of your age, but most patients continue to lose hair with aging and often can have additional procedures to try and make up for this.

• Administrators

Can you post some photos? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

I totally know what you mean. Flourescent lights are the worst. I hate looking at myself in the mirror in my office. As for what you said about concealer with people being able to see it in certain lighting, that is why I have never actually used it other than to try it out at home. I would be more worried about people noticing I have concealer on my head than having them just seeing my thin hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.