High Norwood. Looking for HT reccomendations

GoldRush

I am 31 yo M healthy. I have followed this site for years and have considered tx for years. I appreciate everyone for their posts.

I started balding early 20s. I however decided to not take any medications (i.e.: Propecia) as I was worried about side effects. I ultimately decided to let my hair fall out and when it stabilized to pursue hair transplant. I initially wanted to pursue FUE however will consider FUT due to better results in high norwood. I have attached pictures below. What do you guys think?

1. Am I a candidate for transplant

2. FUE vs. FUT

3. Surgeon recommendations. I am USA based but am open to travel. I am considering these surgeons on my long list 

1. Doganay

2. Demirsoy

3. Erdogan

4. Pathomvanich

5. Bisanga

6. Rahal

7. Hasson/Wong

8. Lorenzo

Appreciate everyones recommendations. 

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Hi

From your post and photos, IMO, your donor looks pretty good and agree, doing a FUT for your high level of loss would be a wiser 1st chose choice.

The list of surgeons/ clinics looks good....I would also add Hattingen hair clinic in Switzerland and Dr Bloxham @ Feller in Bloxham in NY for FUT work. Get as many consultants as possible and the more in-person the better.

Best of Luck!

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 2

Some good and fair advice above.

I would support that.

I believe that one of the most important things for you as you continue to research, is realistic expectations. I didn't see you mention what you are looking to achieve in regards to your restoration, but with extensive loss and donor limitations, even with beard/body hair you expectations need to be well understood.

You have some very good physicians on your preferred list. Keep up the research. Ask many questions. Request consults from your preferred list.

I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

11 hours ago, GoldRush said:

I am 31 yo M healthy. I have followed this site for years and have considered tx for years. I appreciate everyone for their posts.

I started balding early 20s. I however decided to not take any medications (i.e.: Propecia) as I was worried about side effects. I ultimately decided to let my hair fall out and when it stabilized to pursue hair transplant. I initially wanted to pursue FUE however will consider FUT due to better results in high norwood. I have attached pictures below. What do you guys think?

1. Am I a candidate for transplant

2. FUE vs. FUT

3. Surgeon recommendations. I am USA based but am open to travel. I am considering these surgeons on my long list 

1. Doganay

2. Demirsoy

3. Erdogan

4. Pathomvanich

5. Bisanga

6. Rahal

7. Hasson/Wong

8. Lorenzo

Appreciate everyones recommendations. 

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Your beard seems to have a fair density. If you are comfortable going in for extraction of the donor from your beard then you could achieve full coverage with adequate density. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

You have a decent list, I’d research a little more, and look for patient reviews that mirror your hair loss. H&W certainly have an impressive portfolio, but so does Rahal, Pathomvanich, bisanga, Erdogan. 

I would opt for FUT first to maximize your grafts. That said, it depends on how short you wanna wear your hair afterwards.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1- are you a candidate? Maybe, but i would get donor analysed to see what density And graft availability you may have first

2- most likely FUT is the way to go here if you are a candidate based on donor ammo and densities

3- if you do FUT, you should consider a free consultation with H&W as they have done plenty high graft cases like this, their crowns are also where “whorl” pattern is on point.   Aside from that, Lateral slits will help the front.  

Also, get consults from Dr Bisanga and Dr Lorenzo and see what they say.  Dr Bisanga also does great work and is ethical.  If im not mistaken, I remember he stood up for a butchered patient and called the doctor that did work on him to query on what he did.  

With virgin scalp and depending on scalp hair availability, id definitely avoid alternative body and beard hairs as it may not look natural.  And finasteride use will be hampered if you have hairs other then scalp hair on your scalp.  

Best of luck - hope something works out for you

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

With regards to my expectations, I totally  understand I will never have hair from my early 20s. My goal is to have a hairline and midscalp coverage at least to frame my face. I am fine with balding at the crown and perhaps depending on consultation I can get a 2nd stage in the future to fix that. 

I did figure that FUT is the better option despite my reservations. It is the more conservative and wiser choice.  With regards to wearing my hair long vs. short. Do you think that my current hair length in the back would hide the scar? The other concern with FUT is that if I fail hair tx and decide to go bald all together than that scar will obviously show. 

I have requested online consults with several of the doctors on my list. Rahal already told me I am not a good candidate as he worries my donor density is poor and that I will progress to NW 7. Disappointing but definitely appreciate the honesty. 

I am going to try to get at least couple of in person consults.

Some questions I have for you all.

1. Anyone know actual literature on propecia with regards to side effect profile? 

2. Any high norwood that have undergone a hair tx and not been on propecia? 

3. Any people out here who have had kids while on propecia.

Appreciate everyones input. 

2 hours ago, GoldRush said:

With regards to my expectations, I totally  understand I will never have hair from my early 20s. My goal is to have a hairline and midscalp coverage at least to frame my face. I am fine with balding at the crown and perhaps depending on consultation I can get a 2nd stage in the future to fix that. 

I did figure that FUT is the better option despite my reservations. It is the more conservative and wiser choice.  With regards to wearing my hair long vs. short. Do you think that my current hair length in the back would hide the scar? The other concern with FUT is that if I fail hair tx and decide to go bald all together than that scar will obviously show. 

I have requested online consults with several of the doctors on my list. Rahal already told me I am not a good candidate as he worries my donor density is poor and that I will progress to NW 7. Disappointing but definitely appreciate the honesty. 

1. Anyone know actual literature on propecia with regards to side effect profile? 

If I was you I would forget hair transplant and I would carry on with my life it’s harsh but do yourself a favor and stay away from that especially when u are not in any medication 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

It's advice we don't hear much because everyone here is directed at "hair restoration". But considering I never want to undergo surgery again given myself it might be the advice we all need to consider once and a while

@GoldRush might also want to look into non surgical approaches first as well. This guy had AMAZING results and spared himself the risks of this industry

good luck

It’s the truth and if a doctor is ethical he shouldn’t do a hair transplant to you no matter what expectations u have u won’t be happy...

Because of your high Norwood I would suggest to proceed with extreme caution when it comes to surgery. You may need to manage you expectations.

I would consider contacting Dr Maras and getting an opinion as he and his clinic deal with cases like yours and the priority for them is to preserve as much of your donor area as possible for the future.

I was Norwood 4a. I had a fair amount of real estate to cover. The results were pretty good in a high graft number with high donor density  5500 appx.

I came off propecia due to heaviness in the nipple area. This had a hit, but not too severe. The nipple issue wasn't a big deal, but I stopped as a precautionary measure.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, GoldRush said:

What are your expectations? How old are you? Why do you not want to try medication?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.