Proprcia after FUT

JohnTinsley

I had FUT on this Wednesday and on my way out was handed a prescription for Provecia 1 mg daily for 90 days with four refills. It might have been discussed with me but I do not remember due to sedation used. Is this a standard practice? My next birthday will be my 70th and my native hair has been stable for a LONG time.I am ambivalent about adding another medication to my regimen.   

Awesome...70 and still active....and care about your looks.  We can all learn from this.

A lot is discussed during a consultation, including the fact, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing. Sometimes it can be gradual, other times rapid...no rhyme or reason.  But let's not confuse the issue.  There are two types of loss.  The one you see and the one you don't.  The one you see, shedding, is normal.  This will happen randomly throughout your head and throughout your life. The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it goes into a resting period.  That hair returns.  The hair you don't see, however, is hair loss.

The hair you don't see is caused by miniaturization of the native hair.  Go to a bright light and look at the hairline area.  You'll notice some shafts are thick...Others finer.  Eventually those finer ones will dissipate and wither away.

The Doctor must have seen a lot of those miniaturized hairs if, without discussing it, gave you a prescription for Propecia.  I'll give you my opinion......

Obviously you have the option to take or not take the med.  Typically, when dealing with a young man losing hair, the recommendation is to do meds.  He moves forward with a procedure, goes on to lose more native hair and there is no bump in density.  He'll never be empty, mind you, due to the transplant...but he'll now have to do another procedure just to replace the hair he just lost.  Considering how limited the donor area is, had he taken the medication, he would be enjoying a much fuller set of hair - FOR AS LONG AS HE TAKES THE MED.  If he stops, eventually he will resume losing.

At 70, however, what is your goal? Just to have a bit more density? You'll probably achieve that with the procedure you did. My first inclination is NO.  You've probably have lost what you were going to lose.  But, if you do decide to take it - give it a year. In a year you'll either look the same  - which means the medication did what it was supposed to do, or you'll look fuller.  It's not because you regrew hair.  Nothing regrows hair.  It's because the medication enhanced the native hair.