HW or Konior?

Hello all,

I’m posing this question as a prior FUE patient (not of either doctor). I am not currently looking to get a procedure because my hair is pretty good right now but I will be looking within the next two years or so, and I couldn’t find any information about the above topic. 

I lurk on these forums often to stay up to date with things and check out results because it’s very interesting to me and makes me happy to see guys getting great results. 

I have seen some really good things from both Hasson and Wong of H&W clinic fame. They have a robust patient community and some good marketing and are known globally.

I have also recently discovered Dr. Raymond Konior in Chicago, which is close to where I live. I’ve conversed with him several times just asking about his methods and was truly impressed by his responsiveness. His results are also amazing and I have not found anything bad about him. 

I’ve compared results between the two and honestly it’s hard to really tell which takes the cake.

With someone like me who is willing to wait a while, what is the best course of action that you would take? Could I be better suited with one or the other? My procedure would be entirely in the frontal third, mostly the hairline, and I’m looking for FUE

I can upload some pics later, as well. 

Edited by bandersnatchi

I had the same dilemma and went with Konior, but ultimately it's really a subjective choice. I would just go through several pages of results from the past few years and let the results speak for themselves. Both clinics are among the very best at both FUE and hairlines imo

I had a consultation with a very respected physician in the field and asked him “If YOU were to have a hair transplant who would you go with?” With no hesitation he said “Konior, he is an artist.” I had never heard of him before. 

I researched him like crazy. I couldn’t find even ONE unhappy patient. I also went to Chicago and had a face-to-face with him. He is impressive. Yes, the wait is long and he charges top dollar. But I believe it’s well worth it. 

I had my surgery exactly two months ago. So, the jury is still out on my results. But my scalp looked amazing post op. Nothing like some of these butchered scalps I see online. 

In case you were wondering, I had roughly 3500 grafts (FUE) transplanted over two days. And yes, he was there the entire time. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 12:32 PM, bandersnatchi said:

Booked with konior for December 2020. 

Attaboy, you won't regret it. I am 6 days post op with him and you can't tell anything has been done.

Super super clean!! And not any redness with the stick and place.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, John Smith198 said:

WHAT IS stick and place technique ? would you rather wait for Dr konoir or go ahead with Dr Hasson. I am also in a same position. Don't know if should wait for Dr Konoir or go with Dr Hasson.

I would guess it’s inserting 1 graft as a time as the hole is made for it rather than making a bunch of holes before placing any. But to answer your question, id go for Hasson, He’s consistently been considered one of the worlds most elite surgeons for well over 10 years, konior is the in surgeon on here at the moment as Rahal was 5 years or so ago but there’s very little in the way of patient posted results over one year post op (unless I’ve missed them)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aftermath said:

I would guess it’s inserting 1 graft as a time as the hole is made for it rather than making a bunch of holes before placing any. But to answer your question, id go for Hasson, He’s consistently been considered one of the worlds most elite surgeons for well over 10 years, konior is the in surgeon on here at the moment as Rahal was 5 years or so ago but there’s very little in the way of patient posted results over one year post op (unless I’ve missed them)

Hasson was my first choice but i came across below blog which kinda scares me which is why i was looking at other clinics aswell. Does anyone know anything about the below blog? it was created back in 2005.

https://say-no-to-hassonandwong.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, John Smith198 said:

Hasson was my first choice but i came across below blog which kinda scares me which is why i was looking at other clinics aswell. Does anyone know anything about the below blog? it was created back in 2005.

If you do a lot of research you will find a bad result for every doctor, I don't know a lot about H&W other than a few cases I have seen on this forum, but you are looking at a blog from 14 years ago with no pictures? look at recent results and private message people that went to that clinic to get more accurate reviews.

23 minutes ago, John Smith198 said:

H&W probably have less failed cases than any other surgeon on here, especially when you consider how many results are posted. I’ve had my surgeries with dr Hasson and it’s been life changing.

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, John Smith198 said:

With all due respect that blog is 14 years old. How many surgeries have H&W performed in 14 years? Well over a thousand. Also, look at this forum which is a credible site with verified patients like @Aftermath not some blog from some unverified person whose website is long gone. There are no photos to go by. 

Go on our advanced search page and look at all of the threads from hasson and wong. You can go back as far as 2001. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Been following the latest comments. Some interesting views. I am by no means an expert, but have followed this field for a few years and done quite a bit of research. 

My thoughts:

I had an FUE with ASMED (1200 grafts) 3 years ago to correct an uneven hairline. Thankfully I do not really have much hair loss, it was more of a vanity thing. Regardless, the procedure went well, I had basically 100% yield, but there were some artistry issues that I noticed about 12-18mo later. Multi-hair grafts in hairline, lower density in some places. I ended up getting a very small procedure (400 grafts) with a very well-known Dr. in Atlanta. Would've gotten more but it was cost-prohibitive for me at the time.

I have mixed views on ASMED. They have been around for a while and have put out a lot of good results. Recently though, as many of us know, there have been some issues with a few cases. I won't comment on why (I don't know for sure) but I do remember not being too impressed by the extremely limited interaction with Erdogan and the questionable tech teams. I decided it would no longer be on my list for any future procedures. I was very impressed and happy with my experience with the Dr. in Atlanta.

I started looking for a Dr. for my second procedure to fully perfect my first one. Hair stable, on Fin 1mg/day for 1 year with no sides. I researched heavily H&W and also Konior. I even had a procedure date with H&W before I started second-guessing myself. Nobody is saying H&W isn't a top tier clinic. Let's be cognizant of personal bias. We all have it towards things we feel strongly about, myself included. I think H&W (Hasson specifically, since he was going to be my doc) are outstanding; long list of consistent results. There are also a lot of other equal-caliber docs. H&W obviously has a strong patient outreach/marketing engine, good patient coordinators, etc. Ultimately, I decided to not go with H&W because I found Konior and I felt that his style was more suitable for my particular needs since I was needing a very small session.

I chose Konior based on my interactions with him. Direct patient-doctor interaction. He personally emailed me back on multiple occasions and it was clear this man was an extremely meticulous and thoughtful doctor. Is Hasson as well? I would assume so, but I never spoke to him. I heard nothing but good things about him, too.

Another reason I chose Konior is because of his stick-and-place approach. Making incisions and immediately placing grafts allows the surgeon to make smaller incisions in the first place; since skin is elastic, incisions almost immediately start closing up, so if you make several thousand incisions before placing grafts you naturally have to make bigger incisions to account for that. I'm not a surgeon and I don't know if I explained that correctly, but you guys can definitely do some reading to find out more. In the end, the stick-and-place approach often leads to much cleaner looking recipient areas and less redness. Take a look at Konior immediate post-op pics and compare them to other methods, you'll see what I mean. That was another reason.

The third main reason I decided to go with Konior is because he performs the entire procedure, and based on my research, he is a perfectionist. He has assistants, but he performs the vast majority of the entire procedure which includes extractions. After not being impressed with the tech aspect of the procedure and feeling like I paid for the techs and not the doctor, I'm more than willing to pay more for a doctor-centric approach. 

Last reason, Konior works on one patient a day. Another reason. I am unsure if H&W operates that way. This post wasn't supposed to argue that Konior is a better surgeon than Hasson (it's not what I'm saying) but I am certain that in MY specific case, Konior is the way to go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bandersnatchi said:

Been following the latest comments. Some interesting views. I am by no means an expert, but have followed this field for a few years and done quite a bit of research. 

My thoughts:

I had an FUE with ASMED (1200 grafts) 3 years ago to correct an uneven hairline. Thankfully I do not really have much hair loss, it was more of a vanity thing. Regardless, the procedure went well, I had basically 100% yield, but there were some artistry issues that I noticed about 12-18mo later. Multi-hair grafts in hairline, lower density in some places. I ended up getting a very small procedure (400 grafts) with a very well-known Dr. in Atlanta. Would've gotten more but it was cost-prohibitive for me at the time.

I have mixed views on ASMED. They have been around for a while and have put out a lot of good results. Recently though, as many of us know, there have been some issues with a few cases. I won't comment on why (I don't know for sure) but I do remember not being too impressed by the extremely limited interaction with Erdogan and the questionable tech teams. I decided it would no longer be on my list for any future procedures. I was very impressed and happy with my experience with the Dr. in Atlanta.

I started looking for a Dr. for my second procedure to fully perfect my first one. Hair stable, on Fin 1mg/day for 1 year with no sides. I researched heavily H&W and also Konior. I even had a procedure date with H&W before I started second-guessing myself. Nobody is saying H&W isn't a top tier clinic. Let's be cognizant of personal bias. We all have it towards things we feel strongly about, myself included. I think H&W (Hasson specifically, since he was going to be my doc) are outstanding; long list of consistent results. There are also a lot of other equal-caliber docs. H&W obviously has a strong patient outreach/marketing engine, good patient coordinators, etc. Ultimately, I decided to not go with H&W because I found Konior and I felt that his style was more suitable for my particular needs since I was needing a very small session.

I chose Konior based on my interactions with him. Direct patient-doctor interaction. He personally emailed me back on multiple occasions and it was clear this man was an extremely meticulous and thoughtful doctor. Is Hasson as well? I would assume so, but I never spoke to him. I heard nothing but good things about him, too.

Another reason I chose Konior is because of his stick-and-place approach. Making incisions and immediately placing grafts allows the surgeon to make smaller incisions in the first place; since skin is elastic, incisions almost immediately start closing up, so if you make several thousand incisions before placing grafts you naturally have to make bigger incisions to account for that. I'm not a surgeon and I don't know if I explained that correctly, but you guys can definitely do some reading to find out more. In the end, the stick-and-place approach often leads to much cleaner looking recipient areas and less redness. Take a look at Konior immediate post-op pics and compare them to other methods, you'll see what I mean. That was another reason.

The third main reason I decided to go with Konior is because he performs the entire procedure, and based on my research, he is a perfectionist. He has assistants, but he performs the vast majority of the entire procedure which includes extractions. After not being impressed with the tech aspect of the procedure and feeling like I paid for the techs and not the doctor, I'm more than willing to pay more for a doctor-centric approach. 

Last reason, Konior works on one patient a day. Another reason. I am unsure if H&W operates that way. This post wasn't supposed to argue that Konior is a better surgeon than Hasson (it's not what I'm saying) but I am certain that in MY specific case, Konior is the way to go.

This is all well and good and I’m glad you’re happy but if you’re not past the 8 month mark and don’t have results to post it doesn’t really mean much (maybe you are, I haven’t checked). Bottom line Is someone can feel this way but if after a year the result isn’t right then that opinion will change even if he was the nicest most professional guy on the planet. And that’s my issue with this konior trend. Most people seem to be going off matt1978 results (which were real good) but there is a real lack of actual results posted by patients on this site (from what I’ve seen) and for some reason people are declaring konior the second coming. He’s a good surgeon from the little I’ve seen from him but we need more results to fully judge imo. One of the more recent results in the patient posted thread wasn’t great (I’m not going to embarrass anyone so I’m not going to name). Also the stick and place technique sounds interesting, but isn’t he doing like 1k grafts a day, so a 2 day session will yield 2k, which is nothing for a high NW. this also gos a way to explain the large waiting list since he can probably only see 3 or 4 patients a week (guesstimating)

1 hour ago, Aftermath said:

This is all well and good and I’m glad you’re happy but if you’re not past the 8 month mark and don’t have results to post it doesn’t really mean much (maybe you are, I haven’t checked). Bottom line Is someone can feel this way but if after a year the result isn’t right then that opinion will change even if he was the nicest most professional guy on the planet. And that’s my issue with this konior trend. Most people seem to be going off matt1978 results (which were real good) but there is a real lack of actual results posted by patients on this site (from what I’ve seen) and for some reason people are declaring konior the second coming. He’s a good surgeon from the little I’ve seen from him but we need more results to fully judge imo. One of the more recent results in the patient posted thread wasn’t great (I’m not going to embarrass anyone so I’m not going to name). Also the stick and place technique sounds interesting, but isn’t he doing like 1k grafts a day, so a 2 day session will yield 2k, which is nothing for a high NW. this also gos a way to explain the large waiting list since he can probably only see 3 or 4 patients a week (guesstimating)

I believe he only performs surgery about twice a week?

16 hours ago, Aftermath said:

I just had a touch-up/repair with him about a month ago. 850ish grafts.

I wanted a small procedure once a year, this year and next. He obliged, which is Great for me. Just what I wanted.

We had an hr consult, then prepped and got started about 8 am.

I was back in my hotel room by 1:45. Nice short day.

He can handle 2000 graft fue days, easy.

The man is a working machine and all business.

Now, I can't vouch for results. Gonna have to wait 8 months or more and see.

That said, Hasson is one of the other(few) that I would let work on my scalp.

He does impressive work.

Edited by ndubya

If it were me, I would start comparing patients from both clinics looking at as many examples of patients who have similar hair characteristics and loss patterns as myself.

Then decide who's work you like best.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY