Gonna be 20 can someone tell me if I am suffering from hairloss

Pleasant123

I am gonna be 20 in a month my uncle lost his hair early 20s my grandfather lost it in his 30s or 40s my father has a Norwood 2.5 at 47, my mother side all have hair. I have fine dark hair, I also took testosterone boosters for a month and was on creatine supplements for a year which turns testosterone to dht when I noticed my right temple thin and go back a little.

DCD5216E-71C7-4A0D-995B-3881CE6926D0.png

03061EDA-A328-473E-9B0E-4A5D28C784E6.png

20E51CB9-59D1-46FB-94D3-E839FB471648.png

56A6C842-47EC-47B9-A65F-4CBFC068C5BE.png

19930E71-B3CD-48DA-A784-F5AE6BDCD90E.png

EDA074E1-56F4-4814-A416-08EAF9863639.png

9EDF3615-2DC6-42D1-89C8-E75E23A2D84F.png

50F1DA6D-4938-47D5-AD68-4F95DEF5DBFC.png

At 20, testosterone boosters? Why?

It is my understanding the body converts testosterone into DHT all by itself.  You adding these boosters only leads to more DHT which is the culprit when it comes to hair loss.

Typically for those doing testosterone - which mostly applies to older guys, the recommendation is to take a DHT blocker, (which is what Propecia/Finasteride is). This way you get the benefit of the testosterone but do not experience the side effect - hair loss.  Talk to the doctor about the modalities we discuss when dealing with this debilitating issue, (Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP).

Are you under the care of a doctor? Or just decided to do this on your own?

Now let;s talk about your pattern....early stages of loss.  Due to the testosterone issue? Perhaps and likely given the family history you described.  

Your temporal points and sideburns do show thinning...and some curl which is typical of a patient experiencing DUPA.  I would bring this up at the time of a consultation with a hair restoration expert, (the doctor), and see what he says.

The other thing that doesn't help you is the fact that you have dark hair and light scalp.  The contrast always makes it worse than what it truly is.

Lastly, the whirl.  The hair grows away from the point, not like how the hair grows in the mid scalp and the front.  There all hairs grow forward and the hair shingles.  

I would encourage you to consider getting on a medical regimen to help you retain and perhaps even improve what you're dealing with.

• Like 1

Get a piece of paper and a pencil.  Draw a dot anywhere.  Draw a cross intersecting the dot.  Now turn the paper counterclockwise say from 11:00 to 9:00.  Draw another cross - again intersecting the dot.

The dot represents the whirl.  

If you look carefully at the photos you submitted, you'll notice that hair grows outwards from the dot and in a circular motion.  Let's do another exercise.  Draw a small circle and, without lifting the pencil, continue drawing in a circular fashion so that you are creating larger circles as you go along.  This is how the hair grows in the crown area.

By the way, you do not have fine hair.  It is not super coarse either. Perhaps medium caliber.  

• Administrators

🤔 I would say definitely monitor it. You have the thickest beard I’ve ever seen on a 20 year old. I mean it looks like mine and I’m 34. This tells me there’s definitely a good amount of DHT circulating. 

Stop all supplements that boost testosterone. You’re 20 years old, you don’t need that crap. Your body is naturally producing more testosterone than you’ll ever produce in your life at this age. Supplement pumpkin seed oil it is a natural DHT inhibitor.

At this point, it looks normal. I don’t think you have hair loss yet. But continue with that testosterone nonsense and you might develop early MPB, since you do have it in your genes. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

🤔 I would say definitely monitor it. You have the thickest beard I’ve ever seen on a 20 year old. I mean it looks like mine and I’m 34. This tells me there’s definitely a good amount of DHT circulating. 

Stop all supplements that boost testosterone. You’re 20 years old, you don’t need that crap. Your body is naturally producing more testosterone than you’ll ever produce in your life at this age. Supplement pumpkin seed oil it is a natural DHT inhibitor.

At this point, it looks normal. I don’t think you have hair loss yet. But continue with that testosterone nonsense and you might develop early MPB, since you do have it in your genes. 

I stopped it two years ago I only took a testosterone booster for a month and creatine for a year. And will do.

Edited by Pleasant123

30 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Get a piece of paper and a pencil.  Draw a dot anywhere.  Draw a cross intersecting the dot.  Now turn the paper counterclockwise say from 11:00 to 9:00.  Draw another cross - again intersecting the dot.

The dot represents the whirl.  

If you look carefully at the photos you submitted, you'll notice that hair grows outwards from the dot and in a circular motion.  Let's do another exercise.  Draw a small circle and, without lifting the pencil, continue drawing in a circular fashion so that you are creating larger circles as you go along.  This is how the hair grows in the crown area.

By the way, you do not have fine hair.  It is not super coarse either. Perhaps medium caliber.  

So do you think my hair whorl right now is normal? And are you explaining to me what a hairlwhorl looks like

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Out of topic but what age did you grow a full beard? Some youtuber said guys who grow full beards before 18 usally go bald younger.

19 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Out of topic but what age did you grow a full beard? Some youtuber said guys who grow full beards before 18 usally go bald younger.

Not sure 16/17 I’m Indian we tend to be hairy people I had a bumfluff dark mustache when I was 11 I went through puberty a lot earlier than every one else with a growth spurt and voice change everything.I think I get my hairiness from my mother side she’s also on the hairy side this side all have their hair.

Edited by Pleasant123

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Phillyman1996 said:

I definitely couldn't grow a full beard by 18, it started to get thicker around 22-23, but I believe it reached the peak in my late 20's.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
On 9/6/2019 at 6:47 PM, Phillyman1996 said:

I had a mustache at around 12 or 13 and by age 14 I was shaving my beard every day. I also was growing hair on my chest by age 12. My head hair started falling out around 14 and by 15 I had a noticeably thinning crown. The rest of my head hair was almost totally gone except for the horseshoe fringe by age 22. What's really weird is as I'm losing hair in some places, I'm still gaining hair in other places. I have a lot more hair on my stomach than I had a few years ago and I know my back hair is increasing and spreading out as well. However, my lower legs have been slowly losing hair for years, but my thighs, which never had much hair seems to recently be slowly growing longer and more dense. My right arm just recently had a bald patch which over the past 2 or 3 months is slowly growing back in.

I've always told people that working out and lifting weights makes my hair fall out. I lose hair on my head and legs (and now my arm too) and the hair on my chest and back increases. It's always been this way since I first started lifting weights at 14 years old. If I start lifting weights my head hair starts falling out within two or three weeks. Then I'll stop lifting weights because I get depressed from the hair loss and the hair loss slows down. Years ago I would get stinging pain on my head and I knew that was the area that was going to lose hair next.

Recently I was working out every day just before the start of summer and I noticed my right arm develop a bald patch. I stopped lifting for the past 3 months and I can see it's almost all grown back in now. I never got the body I want because of this. I love lifting weights and developing a muscular body, but I can't figure out how to do it without going bald. I don't take any drugs or steroids or anything. I never did. I don't even take creatin or protein powders or shakes. I increase my protein by eating chicken, eggs, fish, turkey, beef, nuts, and peas. I never smoked or did any illegal drugs ever and I rarely drink alcohol and if I do drink it's very little. I've never been drunk in my life. So I don't understand it.

Sorry this went a bit off the original topic. It happens.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.